Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support forum for the positive aspect of banding only

Ive come to feel like this support forum is only for saying keep up the good work and keep your chin up things will get better. WEll If all were good with this band then we wouldnt need support forums. Someone said that I should have checked out things better before I had my band , well if I would have checked in this support forum , I would have had an unrealistic view of how and what things are. In here all is well and will get well, Thats not real life with the band. Maybe for some people its all been great and im glad for them but there are some people out there that are misinformed and should hear the whole truth.

Rebandit,

I disagree. I have read threads and posts that describe the good, the bad, and the ugly experiences with the band. So far, I haven't had any problems with the band, who knows what the future holds, but I knew coming into this that it would not be easy and there were risks for complications and so forth. I read about many of them here on LBT. So, I do not think this forum is focusing ONLY on the postive.

We seem to cross paths a lot today. :eek: I've been here a while, and I've seen a LOT of stories where bands didn't work out, people are having very hard times, people hating their decision, people not losing weight, erosions, slips, complacency, inability to change behaviors, etc. I see a lot more of that than I do "goody goody."

I agree. Before I was banded I would read the other threads about complications and band and would understand the complications, etc. I also don't think all posts are positive. What is the real issue? Are you having problems already? Let us help you.

We seem to cross paths a lot today. :eek: I've been here a while, and I've seen a LOT of stories where bands didn't work out, people are having very hard times, people hating their decision, people not losing weight, erosions, slips, complacency, inability to change behaviors, etc. I see a lot more of that than I do "goody goody."

I agree. I lurked around on this forum months before I became banded and some of the things I read scared me to death. In the end, I was willing to take the risk.

I'm sorry, but someone only has to check out the life after band removal forum and the complications forum to know that this isn't an "only good things said" board. In the year that I've been a member here (I was a member for 9 months before I was banded), I have seen many, many posts from people that weren't happy with their bands, that'd had complications, that had their bands removed, that couldn't physically tolerate the band for one reason or another, and that refuse to take advice. Quite frankly, I think if someone HASN'T seen those posts, they've just not looked for them.

I'm sorry, but someone only has to check out the life after band removal forum and the complications forum to know that this isn't an "only good things said" board. In the year that I've been a member here (I was a member for 9 months before I was banded), I have seen many, many posts from people that weren't happy with their bands, that'd had complications, that had their bands removed, that couldn't physically tolerate the band for one reason or another, and that refuse to take advice. Quite frankly, I think if someone HASN'T seen those posts, they've just not looked for them.

I was a lurker here for about a year before I became a member, and was a member for a few months prior to getting my band. I agree with Laurend 100%. I don't think there's a complication (or perceived complication) that hasn't been posted here, sometimes numerous times by numerous people. Keep reading, it's not all roses here, but we do try to be encouraging to each other, hence calling it a "SUPPORT" forum.

I actually found this forum to be an excellent source for the best and worst case scenarios. This was my primary research tool when deciding to get the band. I heard many stories that scared me to death and many that were inspiring and uplifting. When weighing the pros and cons I decided it was the right choice for me. I think if people do a thorough search on this site they will most definitely see the full picture.

I'm waiting on insurance approval, so I'm not banded yet. I can't say the board has given me a sunshine and roses view of the band. While my prior research yielded lots of data, this place has been great for a nuts and bolts look at living with the sucker. Complete with PBs, slimes, lack of weight loss, erosions, slips, regrets, and general all around depression. I will say, if someone looks only to this board to all their info before making a decision, they need the psych exam they're going to get.

Yes, the majority of people on the board are happy with the bands and want to encourage others to succeed. I think that is the nature of happiness-you want others to be where you are, feel as good as you do.

I'm sorry you aren't finding the support that you need here. Maybe the answer is for you to ask about starting a new area, kind of a "hard times support" center?

Exactly! There are TONS of negative posts about all kinds of topics:

band slippage

band erosion

band surgeries that were done incorrectly

vomiting

productive burps (PBs)

hair loss

eating problems (foods that some people can't tolerate)

doctor issues (unavailable for appts./fills, etc.)

Should those of us who haven't had any complications start apologizing for being positive about our experience?

I actually found this forum to be an excellent source for the best and worst case scenarios. This was my primary research tool when deciding to get the band. I heard many stories that scared me to death and many that were inspiring and uplifting. When weighing the pros and cons I decided it was the right choice for me. I think if people do a thorough search on this site they will most definitely see the full picture.

I'm currently awaiting my band but i couldn't have said this better myself...

This forum reveals not only the physical complications from being banded, but the mental/emotional ones as well. The threads here have discussed how many bandsters still struggle with poor self-image problems even after losing their excess weight, plus how some people replace food addiction with other dependencies. Quite frankly, I am amazed at the number of problems I've seen bandsters struggle with on this forum. Have you been reading more than just a couple of threads?

I don't think you've done a very thorough look around this forum. There's plenty of the good and bad, maybe you should look a little harder, but really it's not that hard to see.

We write what we choose to write. Negative posts don't get censored out. Maybe you see much positive because many people are happy with their band. Sorry if you are not happy with yours.

When I was researching the band, I only read a few things here and there that made me nervous about getting it. Then I joined this board and starting reading some of the forums Lauren mentioned and it scared me. I had to keep telling myself that I could be one of the ones that it works for...I didn't necessarily have to be one of the negative results. So in my case, I kind of had to give myself a pep talk after reading this board before my surgery. LOL