Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had surgery 11/29: a new life starts

Everything has gone by so fast. I had my gastric bypass on Monday 11/29. I'm Finnish so I did my surgery in Finland. Everything went well and the nurses were amazing, the whole experience was loving and calm. I feel extremely grateful for that. On Tuesday I could go home after getting in my 1000 ml of liquids. I never felt nausea, pain or discomfort why drinking and I tried to walk as much as I could. Gas pain was very difficult Wednesday and Tuesday. It's slowly leaving now, Friday. I've taken pain meds every evening and sometimes during the day if I get pain, but I'm trying to manage with the little pain I have.

I'm excited for what's to come, it feels like a huge life changing moment, which it of course is. I'm scared and anxious as well; what if I never can eat a piece of sushi again, my absolute favourite food? What if I can't travel and enjoy the food? Food is such a big part of our lives and has so much to do with our social life and culture. I know it's worth it, I know this surgery is for me and for my future, for my health. But it's still scary. That's why I love going on here and reading everything. It gives me so much comfort to know there's so many people all over the world going through a similar experience.

I'm gonna start weighing myself after two weeks after surgery, giving myself time to heal and rest for now.

Here are some stats that I can look back on in the future.

HW: 308 lb (140 kg)

Operation weight: 291 lb (132kg)

GW: in-between 130-150 lb

Sent from my KB2003 using BariatricPal mobile app

On this forum it doesnt matter that we live out of America. I am from the UK. We are all at some part of our lives in the same boat. Have the same hopes and fears and expectations. The best part is the people on here go back years and have so much knowledge. Its so comforting. I love raw fish, the rice is 2nd My first meal will be quality raw fish in 5 weeks. I may only eat a little bit but boy oh boy will I enjoy the experience. Good luck

Welcome to the Medically Modified Human Club! I can tell food for you is definitely emotional (for me it is!) and you will definitely be right there enjoying consuming healthy food for you amongst your family and friends in due time. For me... I pay attention to those who have sharp emotional cravings for all of the foods that got us (lets face it... ALL of us) where we are pre surgery.

Congratulations on making taking the necessary steps so that A... you can be on this earth longer and living healthier. Take your time (as you are) and know that if you follow your NUT's advice you will do well.

I found it a heck of a lot easier to not eat (as much or as per the instructions) while I was on pain medication. Now that I am off of the good stuff... here comes the retraining. Drink Water, wait, realize why I want to eat... boredom, the time seams right, I just witnessed or inhaled wonderful smells, or AM I TRULY HUNGRY? Arghhhh...

Best Wishes, Will

1 hour ago, JoyLilith said:

what if I never can eat a piece of sushi again, my absolute favourite food? What if I can't travel and enjoy the food? Food is such a big part of our lives and has so much to do with our social life and culture.

You will eventually be able to eat anything. Enjoy the benefits that restriction and malabsorption give you now because they don't last forever. Use the honeymoon period to learn a new way of cooking and eating. :)

2 minutes ago, Sunnyway said:

You will eventually be able to eat anything. Enjoy the benefits that restriction and malabsorption give you now because they don't last forever. Use the honeymoon period to learn a new way of cooking and eating. :)

Amen Sunnyway, well stated.

Congrats on getting your surgery and starting the journey, JoyLilith!

I hear you on sushi, I love rice and adore onigiri but all of that is off the menu for me until maintenance. You could, however, have sashimi once you're on the soft food stage, so it's the delicious sushi hit without the rice.

Navigating social eating is definitely something that takes time. I'm fine with friends and family who know I've had this done, but I'm a bit more wary of dining out with people who don't. And my partner and I are still trying to perfect the "new normal" of just the two of us going out to cafes and restaurants. We're getting better at it, though!

Glad your procedure has gone so smoothly.

Don't worry too much about it.

I just had a trip to visit a friend who is a real gourmand. He loves good food, and has excellent taste in restaurants. So we went as a group and ordered "family style" and I just ate little bites. The food was very rich, but I was still able to enjoy it, just not as much.

I had surgery about three months ago. I have had sushi since then. It can be a lot of rice so I will order a little sashimi and then just one or two pieces of nigiri sushi.

You can do this. And you won't have the same problem we in the US do, because portions are not ridiculously huge in Finland like they are here.

Onnea ja jatka eteenpäin sisulla 💪