Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Halloween and other “firsts”

4 minutes ago, Esi said:

Thank you! I had never heard of swerve until this post. I only use Stevia, but had not baked with an artificial sweetener. It sounds like they are not interchangeable?

Swerve is one that measures cup for cup the same as sugar but I find it to be extremely sweet. Like to sweep in my opinion. It’s too sweet in my opinion. I am holding on to it hoping as I get a little further out it won’t be too sweet.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Found some Keto Cookies that look good. Basic choc chip. I think I would make them with Splenda.

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/keto-cookies-recipe/

On 10/5/2021 at 4:11 AM, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

If you look in the candy isle at the grocery stores or Target you will see Russel Stover has a whole line of sugar free candy, as well as Hershey now has sugar free reeses Peanut Butter cups and other candy bars...

Yes! The Hershey sugar-free candy does taste incredible. Yet it is high in fat, so one satisfied me. Thanks! Never noticed these.

I've been hungry all the time since my surgery a month ago, but I haven't been craving sweets so much. I was in the grocery store today and saw all the candy which would have been a disaster for me in the past (I LOVE CANDY CORN!) but I didn't really want to eat it. I just wanted to eat "real" food. I remember how good the candy used to taste but I don't want to eat it now, maybe just because I know I won't feel good if I eat it. I have been enjoying sweet things like Protein Shakes but candy doesn't appeal to me, so maybe that will be the case for you?

I agree with you on that. I have no desire to eat candy, cake, etc. I guess the real reason is that if I am not getting any Protein or nutrients from it, it is just going to stall my progress. I really don't need any empty calories right now.

Agree — not usually in the mood for sweets. Just thinking ahead of time for when everyone else is eating candy. Nice to know there is a healthier option available should I desire it! 😀

My daughter bought a bag of Tate's chocolate chip cookies—which I love, second only to the only-in-Canada President's Choice brand—and gave me a tiny piece. I dipped it in milk to soften it... chewed it... and spat it out. I didn't want it and it tasted weird.

I'm simultaneously elated and heartbroken.

On 10/3/2021 at 6:13 AM, Esi said:

How do you deal with holidays that involve food traditions that are not healthy?

This will be my first Halloween without eating any candy. Thanksgiving and the December holidays will follow shortly. It feels like I am being left out when my family eats treats and other unhealthy foods, that are part of our traditional celebrations. I won’t give in, but the mental part is hard!

Halloween is not a thing for me so that wasn't an issue. At Thanksgiving and Christmas, I allow myself a taste of all my favorites and then I go right back on plan the next day. No eating leftovers the next day, no "I'll start again on Monday". I have ONE off-plan meal and then back at it the next day. Not everyone can do that, so you have to figure out what will work for you.

Halloween lol. Love Halloween. I only got sleeves five or six months ago but this is actually the second Halloween I have avoided all candy. Last October I was very much in yhe “must loose weight to have surgery” phase.

Has anyone else discovered that sweet things taste really gross after you haven’t had sugar for so long? I had tried a few things since surgery that I used to love and they are just gross.
Orange soda? I had a sip of my sons soda to get a pill down (it was an emergency and I was caught unawares) and it tasted like rotten oranges.

candies? Yeah way too sweet I had a nibble of something from my kid and I spit it out.

Things that have sugar are just way too sweet now and I can’t stand the taste (it doesn’t make me sick at all…. It’s just gross tasting lol)

definitely a post surgery positive.