Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newbie questions re hunger and PASTA!

Hello all - new here. I just had my initial consults at the Cleveland Clinic and I am excited/terrified about the gastric bypass procedure. I am not scheduled yet but in the process of getting approved. I have a few questions for the veterans out there: 1) Post bypass, will my remnant stomach growl or ever get hungry?! The docs could not answer this question. And 2) Post surgery, can I ever eat a little Pasta ever again? I am anticipating grieving over some of my favorite foods and pasta tops my list. Can I no longer eat carbs at all?

Thanks in advance, folks. I have a lot of anxiety over having my digestive system replumbed and am worried about malnutrition. 🤓

six years out and I don't think my stomach has ever growled.

Most (but not all) people lose their hunger after surgery, but for most of us, it comes back sometime during the first year. I wish I was one of those lucky few whose hunger never comes back, but mine did come back at around five months out.

there are no food restrictions once you get a few months out, but that's not to say that some of us don't have food intolerances, even if we're technically "allowed" to eat any food. Some people can eat Pasta, some can't. I can eat a little of it. It kind of sits like a brick in my stomach, though, so I don't eat it very often and when I do, it's just a little. Plus it's not terribly nutritious. I really try to focus on very nutrient-dense foods because my stomach is so small now.

P.S. re: carbs - yes, bariatric patients eat carbs. Early out, some clinics recommend very low carb diets, some don't (mine was more of a balanced plan). But once you're a ways out, carbs are fine - as long as they're mostly the "good" kind. For many of us, our main focus is in Protein, though.

Edited by catwoman7

I am almost six months out and I can eat everything I did post surgery. I am still in the losing phase so I don’t make a habit of eating things like pizza and Pasta but I have tried them once just to see if my stomach would tolerate them and it does just fine. I have heard people who develop food allergies or just discomfort post surgery though. But it seems like once it is something that is unpleasant to eat they no longer miss it. So I almost think this may be a good thing to help aid in making healthier choices??

What they didn't tell me when I had my surgery is that there is a RARE 3% chance that I would end up with either a wheat allergy or Celiac's Disease. I got the wheat allergy (my luck is terrible). But like I said the chance of that happening to you is only about a 3% chance so there's a 97% that you'll be fine and able to eat regular Pasta again eventually (barring an intolerance). I eat chickpea pasta noodles which have the added benefit of being high in Protein so it makes the extra carbs worth it. Though I don't eat it much (I maybe make it once or twice a month?).

Eventually, when you get further out, carb-y foods aren't a complete no, as long as it's in moderation.

Edited by NovaLuna
spelling error

I had RNY surgery so all I know is the stomach portion that is closed off still produces some acid, but shrink's over time because it is not being used. No foods are off limits, but a lot of people do not tolerate Pasta, bread, rice. It sites very heavy for me in my pouch, so I cannot eat it very often. ( I am 10 months post op RNY) These foods are high in carbs as well, so the calories can add up quickly. You have to give it time and slowly introduce these foods as you go along. It may takes years before you can eat them again, or maybe not at all. Focus on Fruits, veggies, Protein and low carb options.