Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Surgery Buddies!!

Today I got my surgery. It has been challenging. Vomited blood and phlegm three times now. The gas pains are terrible! Starting to have buyers remorse 😔😩

I am sorry you are having problems. I had my surgery 9/29/21 and you are right the gas pains are horrible. I am hoping they go away in a couple of days. I have only had Water so far. I am going to get some sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello today to try.

I know it will all be worth it in the end; I know quite a few people who have went through this and they look great today.

Hello all! I just found these forums and I'm so glad I did. Just had my gastric bypass on Tuesday!!!! Hoping to find good support here, nobody irl has a clue what we go thru!

2 hours ago, SarahE70 said:

Hello all! I just found these forums and I'm so glad I did. Just had my gastric bypass on Tuesday!!!! Hoping to find good support here, nobody irl has a clue what we go thru!

Same, welcome! Everyone has been so nice and welcoming with great advice… got mines done on Monday… looks like we’re in the same stages…. You got this!

8 hours ago, April C said:

Hey September buddies, very fortunate to have come across this page. I had my surgery on 9-3-21, almost 1 month post op. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's progress. I am currently on stage 3 of my diet which is chicken, cheese, turkey, and other things. I am so happy to be out of my liquid lol, sugar free Popsicles were my best friend. I am currently down 40 pounds, I just have a fear that I will not keep losing weight and I do not know why? I can currently only take about 3 bites of food and I feel stuffed. I should be eating about 3 times a day and my problem is I do not get hungry.

Man, I wish I wasn't hungry! I'm hungry all the time except right after eating. I am 2.5 weeks out. I can eat soft foods, but all I've tried so far is refried Beans, tuna, and cheese. I'm going to try eggs this morning.

You will keep losing weight, but you will have some stalls along the way; that's completely normal. Don't skip meals... set an alarm if you have to. At least, that's what our surgery center said!

Hi I am 6 days post op from having the gastric sleeve. I am still a bit gassy, I am still on the clear liquid diet, however My stomach is a bit sensitive right now and I don’t really eat Jello or broth. I am able to get fluids and popsicles down. My issue is today I am feeling quite light headed. I’m sure this is perhaps a bit normal considering my body isn’t getting the proper nutrients. Anyone have any tips to help combat this feeling. Just feeling a bit drained now.

Edited by KarrinnaP

9 hours ago, FLPhoenix said:

Today I got my surgery. It has been challenging. Vomited blood and phlegm three times now. The gas pains are terrible! Starting to have buyers remorse 😔😩

Congrats on getting it done! I know it feels terrible right now, but I promise it does get better. The day of surgery was extremely rough for me, but by day 3 I was feeling MUCH better. Take your meds, rest as much as you need to, and give yourself lots of grace. ❤️

7 minutes ago, KarrinnaP said:

Hi I am 6 days post op from having the gastric sleeve. I am still a bit gassy, I am still on the clear liquid diet, however My stomach is a bit sensitive right now and I don’t really eat Jello or broth. I am able to get fluids and popsicles down. My issue is today I am feeling quite light headed. I’m sure this is perhaps a bit normal considering my body isn’t getting the proper nutrients. Anyone have any tips to help combat this feeling. Just feeling a bit drained now.

Make sure you are getting enough electrolytes. Drink Powerade/Gatorade, use a Water Enhancer, or try some Pickle Juice if you can't stomach broth. When you are taking in so few calories and drinking all that Water, its easy to end up with an electrolyte imbalance which can contribute to low blood pressure and the dizzy feeling. It does get better once you move to full liquids, but its important to stay on top of it as best you can.

36 minutes ago, KarrinnaP said:

I found sucking ice cubes to be helpful. I used small ice cubes, but if you have access to crushed ice, that might be helpful. Also, crystal light or other drink packets might be good. I didn't like the taste of broth, but I liked strained Tom Yum and Hot and Sour Soups.

1 hour ago, KarrinnaP said:

Hi, congrats on your surgery! I had my sleeve done on 9- 23-21, so we're about in the same time frame post op. Are you drinking your shakes? They should help. I ordered fit and lean powder from Amazon, actually way before I had my surgery. I mix 2tbs chocolate PB2 or PB fit with 8 oz of coconut milk or almond milk- unsweetened and some ice cubes in my ninja blender and it is filling. I also think there is alot of Fiber in this particular powder so I experience a little more gas than usual. today is one week out for me and I tolerate the milk pretty good. my problem was drinking too big a sips of all my liquid. Good luck! surgery buddie!

Edited by Sharon B.
buddies! more info.

Today Mark's 1 week post op for me. The dietitian who saw me in the hospital marked 9-30-21, today, is when I could start full liquids. you should be right around that time also. I hope it gets better😊

2 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

Man, I wish I wasn't hungry! I'm hungry all the time except right after eating. I am 2.5 weeks out. I can eat soft foods, but all I've tried so far is refried Beans, tuna, and cheese. I'm going to try eggs this morning.

You will keep losing weight, but you will have some stalls along the way; that's completely normal. Don't skip meals... set an alarm if you have to. At least, that's what our surgery center said!

Thank you for the support! Yes I shouldn't skip meals, but I get so busy throughout the day that I completely forget. If I feel like I am hungry, it is most likely because I am dehydrated which is always the case for me. I am still struggling to get a good amount of Water in. I can finish a whole 12 oz bottle but that is throughout the day.

On 9/29/2021 at 8:59 AM, armartin98 said:

Domkowski and you? How are you doing?

Dr. Radecke. I am doing ok have good days and bad days but I guess that’s to be expected. Start soft foods this weekend so it will be a nice change.

Starting soft foods next week - wed, looking forward to it! Thinking weetabix & milk for Breakfast, maybe a mashed banana, Soup, mashed tuna or salmon & avocado or potato for lunch/dinner. Surgery on 15th, definitely gets easier as days go by, the first week is pretty crappy so glad that’s behind me. Onwards and upwards - good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, lizonaplane said:

I found sucking ice cubes to be helpful. I used small ice cubes, but if you have access to crushed ice, that might be helpful. Also, crystal light or other drink packets might be good. I didn't like the taste of broth, but I liked strained Tom Yum and Hot and Sour Soups.

That sounds good. Are we allowed that. My husband is a huge hot and sour Soup fan. I’m usually not but I’m desperate. Thank you 😊