Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

Hey everyone. So I had surgery yesterday and I’m home tonight. I’m having a problem with laying down, I end up having so much gas discomfort and nausea that I have to sit up to burp frequently. Anyone else having this issue? It’s really uncomfortable and I’m concerned. I hate nausea. I also took zofran a few hours ago, I just took Prevacid that they prescribed.
The gas pains are HORRENDOUS. I definitely wasn't ready for that. I'm 3 days post op and the gases are FINALLY starting to go away. I did a bunch of walking every day, but gasx was the only thing that had made s difference. Wasn't until I got some relief that I realized so many of the pains I was having were gas-related. Things are finally starting to look up!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

On 5/20/2021 at 6:51 AM, aussiescot said:

I have my surgery on May 31st so we may be surgery twins, fingers crossed for you :)

I got the call this morning, they got me in for May 31 :) I'm so happy, but now its like OMG I need to get prepared LOL I only need to do liquid diet for the 2 days before, and need to ween myself off coffee this week (thankfully, I only drink two cups/day, so I'll do one for a few days then stop)

4 hours ago, dwells6192 said:

Did anyone else go home same day as their surgery? My surgery is next Friday (5/28) and was told I will be going home the same day about 6 to 7hrs after I hit the recovery room. Wasnt sure if anyone else did this too

If my surgery was in the AM I would have went home same day (in the evening). My surgery is in the afternoon, so they will keep me overnight.

1 hour ago, MistySkye said:

I got the call this morning, they got me in for May 31 :) I'm so happy, but now its like OMG I need to get prepared LOL I only need to do liquid diet for the 2 days before, and need to ween myself off coffee this week (thankfully, I only drink two cups/day, so I'll do one for a few days then stop)

Congrats on your surgery date 🥳

Had my surgery on Wednesday May 19th. I felt really good in the hospital no nausea and just the gas pains-they are real and hurt badly when they come on. I came home Thursday afternoon and last night the nerve block I got before surgery wore off and definitely needed the pain meds-I was hoping not to use them. At the hospital I was good to keep everything down but at home I’m struggling. I will say that everyday when I wake up I have no heartburn and don’t get it through out the day. Before surgery I was maxed out on all heartburn meds and still had horrible heartburn so I am so excited about that. I know with each day it should get better and it’s for a better life for me and my boys so I’m hanging in and being positive

On 5/20/2021 at 4:05 PM, mullysmom said:

Had my lap band removed after 10.5 yrs and had sleeve done on 5/10. I was definitely scared. Overall all went very well. I'm post op day 10 and I have to say the first couple of days I felt completely washed out. Between some muscle pain and over all fatigue. Tolerating liquids well, amazing how the hunger is not really there. The hardest part this far for me has been when my family cooks and eats. Just the smells make want a bite, but I know better. Hoping to be back to some sense of normalcy soon.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

When does the pain/discomfort go away? I had my band removed and bypass on 5/19. It’s not pain I’m having, it’s discomfort when I move

On 4/19/2021 at 11:03 AM, SummerTimeGirl said:

Hello and welcome! I'll have mine on May 19th. Tomorrow I attend my pre op class and also meet with my surgeon one last time so I guess I'll find out the deets to my pre surgery diet tomorrow. I know there is one, cause I saw it in the notes of the dietician, just not sure of the details.

There is another forum about May surgery dates too. You can check it out at:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/436606-may-surgery/?tab=comments#comment-4919284

I also had mine on the 19th. How are you feeling? I also got my hernia repair which I’m happy about. I came home this morning. Just a little discomfort on the left side. I was able to shower and took a walk this afternoon.

Hey friends I'm new here. I'm from good old Virginia and had my gastric sleeve on May 17th I came home the same day, so I'm a few days post op. Not use to all of this yet and it's hard for me to get liquids down just wanted to see if everyone else we having similar symptoms. I've been having gas pains which I know are normal but occasionally I'll get like spasms on my left side while drink or even when I'm not that migrate to my chest that last for a minute. And it hurts when I take a deep breath not from breathing persay but like just my whole abdomen is so stinking sore didnt know if this was normal.

hi everyone, day after surgery. i will be kept for this second night and will hopefully be discharged tomorrow. just need to get in all the liquid they want; everything else is fine. couldn’t start the liquid diet on surgery day because i had some irregular heart activity when i was coming out of surgery. i can’t wait to be home

13 minutes ago, Losing in in 2021 said:

I also had mine on the 19th. How are you feeling? I also got my hernia repair which I’m happy about. I came home this morning. Just a little discomfort on the left side. I was able to shower and took a walk this afternoon.

Well that's good that they repaired that and that you're up and moving around!

I went home yesterday around 3. I was only given Water while in the hospital and did well. Never felt sick or got sick. Got in 18 additional ounces of water once home. Have been able to take my meds with no problems, even the big ass metformin pills, and so far today I got in about 55oz of liquid (which consisted of 2 premier shakes, 20 oz of Tomato soup/1 can Soup 1 can water and the rest Gaterade Zero). The one thing that hurts on me is my right side more towards the middle but the doc said that's the spot most have issues with as it's where he pulls the stomach through and so it's a larger incision spot. I really feel tight and sore when first getting up and wiping after peeing. LOL Now that a lot of this gas has moved through I can't wait for this stomach/muscle soreness to get gone and I will be great!! I slept good last night in bed but sitting up. I was afraid to lay down for risk of turned in my sleep an stretching the incision sites.

So far, so good! I am really happy thus far with how I feel and how much I've been able to get down relatively easy. I've also been up and walking around a lot inside and outdoors.

On 05/21/2021 at 19:33, Beautifulhero said:

Hey friends I'm new here. I'm from good old Virginia and had my gastric sleeve on May 17th I came home the same day, so I'm a few days post op. Not use to all of this yet and it's hard for me to get liquids down just wanted to see if everyone else we having similar symptoms. I've been having gas pains which I know are normal but occasionally I'll get like spasms on my left side while drink or even when I'm not that migrate to my chest that last for a minute. And it hurts when I take a deep breath not from breathing persay but like just my whole abdomen is so stinking sore didnt know if this was normal.

My first two weeks post-op were not great. I struggled with fluids, intermittent gas, pain from my gut and incisions, and unbelievable fatigue. I think what you are going through is normal—you are only 5 days post-op. Keep trying to drink tiny sips, walk around the house, and nap. If you keep having pain though, call your doctor. I hope you feel better soon! P. S.—week 3 is much better! 😉

2 minutes ago, BypassedSophie said:

My first two weeks post-op were not great. I struggled with fluids, intermittent gas, pain from my gut and incisions, and unbelievable fatigue. I think what you are going through is normal—you are only 5 days post-op. Keep trying to drink tiny sips, walk around the house, and nap. If you keep having pain though, call your doctor. I hope you feel better soon! P. S.—week 3 is much better! 😉

Thanks love for the motivation I will keep on course and hope for much brighter days. We got this.

When does the pain/discomfort go away? I had my band removed and bypass on 5/19. It’s not pain I’m having, it’s discomfort when I move
Honestly I was very uncomfortable for the first 5-7 days. I thought that the removal site of the port would hurt but it didn't. It was the site where they removed the stomach. Today I'm 11 days out and feeling and moving so much better. Actually just went and walked a mile. I've got to get back at it. I wasn't given anything but tylenol and flexeril to come home on. I wish you the best better days are ahead.

1 minute ago, mullysmom said:

Honestly I was very uncomfortable for the first 5-7 days. I thought that the removal site of the port would hurt but it didn't. It was the site where they removed the stomach. Today I'm 11 days out and feeling and moving so much better. Actually just went and walked a mile. I've got to get back at it. I wasn't given anything but tylenol and flexeril to come home on. I wish you the best better days are ahead.

Yessssssssssss!!! 100%

2 hours ago, mullysmom said:

I can totally agree with this! I’m only 3 days post op from gastric sleeve and it isn’t pain I feel but discomfort when I move. I can’t wait to get over the swelling which makes it a bit uncomfortable to breathe with out the stomach band on, it helps keeping the pressure on. ALSO, heating pads are doing wonders when I am laying down.