Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my wls journey but I dislike the dietitian at the clinic.

Did not plan on taking the surgical route but given just how much weight i need to lose (5’4”, 290 lbs) it seems like the way to go.

I went to a local bariatric center and met with the dietitian for the first appointment. I do not like her at all. She’s young, unprofessional and I don’t feel comfortable with her. Unfortunately it’s the only dietitian they have. I don’t know any of the other staff yet, however and my next appt is supposed to be with her again and the NP. My only alternative is to go to a wls clinic an hour away. But I have to wait until May to get in unless a waitlist spot opens. Is that worth it? Is the dietitian going to play a major role here besides explaining the food pyramid and explaining the preop diet when it comes time for that?

Hmmm not sure I'll be much help but, I had one phone call meeting with my dietician and that was it! They have me down for not needing to see her again. BUT, I also haven't had the surgery yet so I'm not sure if I will encounter her again once that is done.

When I first started I was sent a ton of info in the mail (due to Covid). And in that packet they had me links to a site that had me watch several videos and take several quizzes that had to do with nutrition. I even had "Homework" which included a 4 day diary of what I currently eat and I also come up with my OWN food diary/log for what I would eat while on each stage of the diet AFTER the surgery (had to log Protein, carbs, fats, etc for each item too and total it out for the day). I then had to submit all that back to the office. It is then that I got my one and only meeting/call with the dietician. The call consisted of us going over the "homework" I turned in. She also made suggestions of better food items that I could be using AFTER surgery instead of the ones I had put down on the paper and she explained WHY she suggested that how it would be better for me.

Anyway, my experience was nice. She let me ask all the questions I had about food and whatnot and that was that. The call lasted like an hour. But, like I said, I haven't had the surgery yet so not sure if I will see her again (although she told me to contact her at anytime should I have questions about anything in the future) but for now I don't have to.

Could you maybe use your own outside dietician? I don't see why they would have a problem with that as long as you have one. Depending on your insurance/surgery plan, you may just need to pay more out of pocket. But if it were me personally, I'd probably just suck it up and stick it out in order to get done. But that's just me.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

Every program is different. Mine required 5 classes prior to surgery. They were in-person (pre-covid) and I had to drive an hour for them. I wasn't very open-minded in the first 2 classes. I thought I knew everything they would discuss. I have to admit that I really did learn somethings. She was very open to questions and contact. I inquired about using an outside dietician and was told no. Somethings discussed in class I told myself that I would never incorporate into my new lifestyle. But guess what............I am doing them now and understand why they were discussed.

I am not keen on my dietitian either, he is kind of condescending when he talks to you. I met with him once and I find that the literature he gave me, which was extensive, was all I needed. I did not find him to be too supportive. I am 6 weeks post op and had multiple complications but I am doing well now and I am down 25 lbs. Each program is different but I would not let the dietitian make me drive further away. There are also multiple online resources as well.

I think dieticians for bariatric clinics should have had a period of obesity in their lives. I know this couldn't really be a job requirement...lol...but it's awfully nice when the dietician really understands what you're up against.

I dont love my dietician either. She is nice and all but I don't find anything she says particularly beneficial. When I ask her about certain bariatric Snacks and recipes I see online, she doesn't really know what I'm talking about. She keeps telling me to email her my questions but then takes days to respond. All she does is reiterate things that were in my wls workbook. I'm post op and have to see her everytime I see the doctor (quarterly for the first year). I just smile and nod in her session and thank her for nothing... A friend of mine loves her though... to each their own...

Edited by XtinaDoesIt

I just met with the one at my program last week and was also really disappointed. She mostly just asked questions for the insurance and went over the pre-op and post-op diet. She seemed very rote and not at all interested in why I was there or what support I may need.

Sounds familiar. It was frustrating having to see the dietician as part of the process, especially since it was the one thing that wasn't covered by insurance. So I got to spend $179 (twice) to hear the same thing I read in my WLS workbook. The dietician was very nice but didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. But it was part of the process and I was willing to do whatever was required... which I'm so glad I did.

Before surgery I met with the dietician once to explain the pre op and post op diets. Then in the hospital I seen a different one that briefly explained the post op stuff again. I haven’t seen or needed to see her since.

I liked the one I saw, but she just asked me a bunch of questions and focused on how I "sometimes skip breakfast". Well, I do that about 4 times a year when I visit my ex because we sleep till lunchtime! She never asked me how often or under what circumstances! It's just in my permanent file now lol. But I would rather have a great surgeon cut my stomach out and a mediocre dietician than a fabulous dietician tell me things I can look up online and a mediocre surgeon operating on me!! If they're part of a package, take the better surgeon, If the surgeons are both good, go with convenience, because you don't want to have excuses to miss follow up appointments.