Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skin removal surgery

7 minutes ago, victoriaciminelli111 said:

I ask because my surgeon wants to do five separate surgeries two on my stomach one on my legs one on my arms and one of my breasts

I know you didn't ask me this, but it depends on the surgeon. My surgeon refuses to operate for more than six hours at a time (he said he doesn't feel it's particularly safe for the patient to be under anesthesia for much longer than that, plus, he gets tired), so I had my lower body lift during one surgery and my breast lift and arm lift under a second surgery. Some surgeons will do everything at once, though.

Mine had a preferred 6-7 hour max op time as well (or was it 5-6? I can't remember).

He was able to do a Tummy Tuck, arm lift and breast lift in that window.

3 minutes ago, victoriaciminelli111 said:

That's amazing. I hope he can do that for me as well.

they might be able to with a Tummy Tuck. I had a lower body lift, which takes a lot longer (they do front and back). Also, if he has help, like some surgical residents who can do things like sew you back up once the surgeon is done (or even help with the surgery), that probably helps as well.

2 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

they might be able to with a Tummy Tuck. I had a lower body lift, which takes a lot longer (they do front and back). Also, if he has help, like some surgical residents who can do things like sew you back up once the surgeon is done (or even help with the surgery), that probably helps as well.

Thank you for your help I appreciate it

10 minutes ago, victoriaciminelli111 said:

That's amazing. I hope he can do that for me as well.

Now that I think of it, I should probably mention I was on the small side when I had plastics...my doc said I was one of (or THE, i can't remember now) smallest persons he ever worked on, outside of burn patients).

You mention that you have about 25lbs of skin to remove...I only had 400g removed. I am not sure, but I would think that the more "material" to remove, the longer it would require? But don't quote me on that...best to discuss with your doc.

Good Luck! Excited for you ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

Reading some of the comments, I can not imagine the pain of having more than one area done at the same time. Plus how did you manage after the surgeries?

I am scheduled for lower body lift and breast lift/augmentation at the end of May. The surgery is expected to take 5-6 hours, which like most surgeons, is the top end of what my surgeon will do in one surgery. I am anticipating pain, and scarring. I have pretty fair skin, so my scars tend to take a very long time to fade from the pink/purple color. Thankfully, my scars won’t be visible in clothes or bathing suits if all goes as planned. And I will have top notch wound care post-op, as my husband is a wound care nurse.😊

On 03/16/2021 at 06:36, victoriaciminelli111 said:

We're they separate surgeries or all at once?

I had all three done at once and am glad I did. One recovery, one block of time off work.

On 03/16/2021 at 06:36, victoriaciminelli111 said:

I ask because my surgeon wants to do five separate surgeries two on my stomach one on my legs one on my arms and one of my breasts

I had five consultations. Three would do all three procedures together, two wanted to do them separately. I ended up choosing one of the surgeons who would do them all together.

On 03/16/2021 at 07:46, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Reading some of the comments, I can not imagine the pain of having more than one area done at the same time. Plus how did you manage after the surgeries?

I did really well. My husband travelled to Miami with me and cared for me post op. I had a rough couple of days then progressively felt better and better each day after that.

3 hours ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I knew I didn't want to do multiple surgery blocks. I preferred to do a single block of (possibly extended) healing vs. multiple (possible shorter) ones.

As an aside, I actually only planned to do arm and breast lifts on surgery day. I had contemplated doing all three back during consults but decided that I could live without the TT. There was a mixup at the hospital, which did not get the memo of the reduced surgery plan, so everything was already set up for the 3 procedures (staff, op room & time block). And I was all, what the h*ll, lets do all three. Glad I did. This actually highlights why its so important to go over the surgery plan confirmation at registration on surgery day!

As for managing, Mr & the fam helped ALOT. Especially with all the stuff that required usage of my arms...which is basically everything. You never realize how much you need them until they are out of commission. Oh, and pain meds were my (best) friends...but also my enemies cuz I was terribly constipated.

28 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I knew I didn't want to do multiple surgery blocks. I preferred to do a single block of (possibly extended) healing vs. multiple (possible shorter) ones.

As an aside, I actually only planned to do arm and breast lifts on surgery day. I had contemplated doing all three back during consults but decided that I could live without the TT. There was a mixup at the hospital, which did not get the memo of the reduced surgery plan, so everything was already set up for the 3 procedures (staff, op room & time block). And I was all, what the h*ll, lets do all three. Glad I did. This actually highlights why its so important to go over the surgery plan confirmation at registration on surgery day!

As for managing, Mr & the fam helped ALOT. Especially with all the stuff that required usage of my arms...which is basically everything. You never realize how much you need them until they are out of commission. Oh, and pain meds were my (best) friends...but also my enemies cuz I was terribly constipated.

I can't do pain meds at all. They all make me sick.

Hubby won't be able to help me much, if at all. He works full time, M-F 9-5, owns a food truck that he does on the weekends from 9-7, and he also flips houses.

My parents are elderly, and won't be much help either.

I am having doubts that I will be able to have surgery for these reasons.

With no one to help me afterwards, my options are very limited.

I had my arms done and a chest lift done. They took the fat from my arms and put it in my chest. I had drains in my arms. When they were removed it was painful. I would take my scars over my awful arms any day. I managed with Tylenol. One word of advice definitely listen to your surgeon. I didn’t listen right after my surgery about moving my arms or lifting them and have scar tissue now that’s painful. Good luck!