Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

When I finally decided to have WLS, I knew it would be self pay. My insurance just doesn't cover anything to do with bariatric or help with weightless. I really am not interested in going to Mexico. I prefer to have a doctor who if I need them, I can drive to in a matter of 3 or 4 hours (just in case).

I thought I found that doctor. Did more homework and checked out his reviews and paid $400 for a consultation. I was super conformable with him and his staff. I knew that some tests and labs would need to be done - but DANG!

When I called, before making the consultation appointment, the first thing I asked was the cost. I was told around $25K to $30K and they even sent me a couple of websites that they said some of their self-pay patients had good luck with on getting financing. (The 2 financing sites had a max amount of a loan as $35K) So I figured that was good since I wouldn't need the full max amount that the approval odds were in my favor.

Now, with my lists of labs and tests in hand along with the other items that are required for this surgeon. I started calling the numbers they gave me for EKG, ECHO, Psych. Evaluation, Chest Xray, GI Swallow, etc... and the prices at this point this evening are totally $46,876 (that is with several of the places stating the the fees for the EKG is just the image, there will be extra fees for a doctor to review them) and I haven't called the hospital yet because they require a pre-op visit (which will of course have a huge fee).

Just feeling deflated, and at a loss. I know (in theory) my health is priceless - but in the real world there really is a price tag and it is simply out of reach....

For everyone here at BP- you all have been an inspiration - no matter where you are at on your journey.

Hi all,
When I finally decided to have WLS, I knew it would be self pay. My insurance just doesn't cover anything to do with bariatric or help with weightless. I really am not interested in going to Mexico. I prefer to have a doctor who if I need them, I can drive to in a matter of 3 or 4 hours (just in case).
I thought I found that doctor. Did more homework and checked out his reviews and paid $400 for a consultation. I was super conformable with him and his staff. I knew that some tests and labs would need to be done - but DANG!
When I called, before making the consultation appointment, the first thing I asked was the cost. I was told around $25K to $30K and they even sent me a couple of websites that they said some of their self-pay patients had good luck with on getting financing. (The 2 financing sites had a max amount of a loan as $35K) So I figured that was good since I wouldn't need the full max amount that the approval odds were in my favor.
Now, with my lists of labs and tests in hand along with the other items that are required for this surgeon. I started calling the numbers they gave me for EKG, ECHO, Psych. Evaluation, Chest Xray, GI Swallow, etc... and the prices at this point this evening are totally $46,876 (that is with several of the places stating the the fees for the EKG is just the image, there will be extra fees for a doctor to review them) and I haven't called the hospital yet because they require a pre-op visit (which will of course have a huge fee).
Just feeling deflated, and at a loss. I know (in theory) my health is priceless - but in the real world there really is a price tag and it is simply out of reach....
For everyone here at BP- you all have been an inspiration - no matter where you are at on your journey.

Holy crap! That's about 45k Australian! I paid 16k fully funded including blood tests etc. Perhaps fly down here to get it done. I went to Pindara Private Hospital and had the very best care...

I'm wondering if it would be cheaper in Canada (although we may not be allowed in there yet - I haven't kept on top of this). Since you're in WA, it wouldn't be too far. My veterinarian had her LASIK surgery done there several years ago and saved quite a bit of money. It might be worth looking into, at least. I know wait times are pretty long for Canadians using their health insurance system, but maybe it's quicker for private pay patients? Not sure.

Edited by catwoman7

I know you said you don’t want to travel, but would you consider Las Vegas? I’ve seen lots of mention of Blossom Bariatrics here and on other WL forums. I believe they have an all-inclusive package for self-pay folks that is fairly reasonable. They are also a pretty quick (and cheap) flight from the PNW.

15 hours ago, TaterB said:

Hi all,

Reconsidering Medical Tourism? Can you change your insurance? Perhaps even reach out directly to surgeons especially at teachings hospitals and ask if they will perform your case Pro Bono?

Good Luck

6 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I'm wondering if it would be cheaper in Canada (although we may not be allowed in there yet - I haven't kept on top of this). Since you're in WA, it wouldn't be too far. My veterinarian had her LASIK surgery done there several years ago and saved quite a bit of money. It might be worth looking into, at least. I know wait times are pretty long for Canadians using their health insurance system, but maybe it's quicker for private pay patients? Not sure.

With the conversion, its most likely much cheaper. 48K USD == 61K CAD, and yeah, there is no way it would cost that much here.

Wait times in Ontario are about 9-12 months from referral to surgery date (other provinces are much, much longer), but yeah, that's if you are getting it covered via provincial insurance. Private pay is essentially immediate i believe...i chatted with someone who was self-pay and pretty much set her own surgery date. She was from B.C. though and travelled to Ontario to get it done, I can't remember the reason why.

May be worth looking into....

Thanks everyone!

I am in a better place today mentally and emotionally. I am looking at travel options for the surgery, but (I know it is silly- but am too scared to go to Mexico). I wish that I could figure out why I am so nervous to go to Mexico - the prices are the best there.

I will check into Arizona and Canada options. If anyone else knows of places to try here in the US I will take all recommendations .

Hi TaterB,

This is the reason why so many come to Mexico.

There is nothing to be afraid of as long as you do your research.

Thousands of patients come to Tijuana for their surgery and most leave with a very positive experience.

Check out Dr. Jalil Illan in Tijuana. He has more experience and accreditations than most US surgeons and is well respected in the Bariatric community.

You can learn more about him here:

https://hospitalbc.com/dr-jalil-illan/

Please contact me if you have any questions.