Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-band vs. Bypass? HELP!

Hi everyone - I'm the new guy. 6'1" 340lbs, 39 years old, male. I've done enough research to know that I want and can commit to the bariatric surgery lifesyle changes. I am just now entering "the surgery pipeline" here in Danbury CT. I have still not made up my mind as to whether to opt for the band or the bypass, and I have a lot of questions. Does anyone regret not doing the bypass? Medical imperatives and comparitive risks aside, does anyone have any views as to which is more appropriate given a specific body-type? See, I have a 44-45 BMI, but my build is kind of like an overweight football player. I've been lifting weights since I was in my teens. I do cardio too. Most of my excess weight is on my hips, butt and mid-section. My arms and legs are pretty muscular. My point is that while I'm 340, and certainly dangerously overweight and carrying around too much fat, some of my "excess body weight" is muscle. So given all that, is the lap-band - which reportedly leads to less and slower weight loss than the bypass - a more plausible option for someone with my build? I think if I could drop to 240 I'd by overjoyed. If I am the type that will follow the diet plan strictly and will exercise frequently, is a 100 lb drop possible with the lap band? reason i ask is that I read some literature that suggested that the average was a 30-40% drop of excess weight, which does not seem like it would be enough. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Good luck everyone on your own journeys.

I do know that it will take us three years to lose the amount of weight that a bypass patient will lose in one year, so if you were to have lap band, you would have to have patience.

Being 60, I felt that this (band) surgery was less invasive for my older body but at 38, this is probably going to be totally your decision.

What I would do is talk to my surgeon / Bariatric Center about the risks and rewards of each.

With either surgery, you certainly are taking the right step to a longer healthier life with a lot more quality to it! Congratulations! ;)

I think the stats are more like 50-60% of your excess weight. In my case, I lost 65% of my excess weight in the first year. Yes, it is much slower. I have seen people get to goal in 1 years time though if they exercise and keep their calorie intake to 1k a day. I really like being banded because I can still eat everything just less of it. Good luck with your decision.

Remember slower..doesn't have to be a bad thing...

1. People will think you lost it by just diet and exercise without any tools

2. Your skin...skin...skin....has time to heal...so it tends to not hang as terrible as on gastric bypass patients from what I've seen

that is a plus any day in my book!

With the gastric bypass procedure, there are also other problems. For instance, "dumping syndrome" which is violent vomiting. It often comes after eating anything with sugar in it. My daughter had the gastric bypass surgery and I had lapband. She still, after 6 years, has dumping if she eats more than a bite or two of anything with sugar in it. Gastric bypass surgery is also "malabsorptive". Which means that because of the surgery you don't absorb all the nutrients that you need. So you have to take Vitamins to make up for this. There is also that whole thing of bypassing part of your stomach and re-routing your intestines. It is a much longer period of recuperation. And of course, because of the faster weight loss, you have all of that loose skin to deal with. It is also non-reversible. So even though my daughter is one of the success stories, having lost "a whole person" and kept the weight off for 6 years and counting, I am very satisfied with my own decision to have lap band surgery instead. Even though I am fairly new along the way, I have lost 25 lbs in a month and a half, and still going strong. Just my humble opinion.. But you are very smart to investigate all of the angles before you make a final decision.

I am a physician, and I had a lap-band procedure 4+ weeks ago. Just had my first fill and doing great. I would never have a gastric bypass procedure. It causes you to have malabsorption and other serious problems. That's why you have to take multiple supplements, and why so many bypass patients get Protein deficiency. Every physician I know who has had bariatric surgery has had a lapband and would never have a gastric bypass. That should tell you something. You will do just fine with a lapband if you devote yourself to the program. You will also avoid many bad side effects. Good luck

Hi! My dr. and nurse practitioner recommended that I consider bypass because it is faster. But, I chose the band because it is less invasive, reversible, and generally easier (the reasons have been mentioned already - dumping, malnutrition, etc.). I am not sorry I had the band done and would never give the bypass a second thought. I have lost almost 70 pounds in 6 months and feel FANTASTIC! I just got rid of 4 huge bags of clothes that outgrew me today. My closet is empty, but I feel great. I exercise nearly every day, eat well, have pretty good restriction (although I am not quite at my sweet spot yet) and love life. The band is the best grown up decision I've made with the exception of marrying my wonderful husband!

Whichever surgery you choose, stick to your plan and you'll be fine.

Stephanie

I considered the bypass, but the risk just wasn't worth it. I was banded almost 3 months ago and have lost 54 pounds with the band and 71 pounds since my highest weight (pre-band/prior to pre-op diet). By biggest food issue was quantitiy of food, not quality. I'm not a junk food eater, but rather a giant portion eater. The band has helped me control my portion size. And exercising has helped me loose rather quickly too. A friend of mine had the bypass a few years ago and at 3 months out she was 10 pounds lighter than me; we had the same starting weight. But 4 years later she has become anemic and is having problems with B12 deficiency. Considering I have a family history and person history of anemia I stayed away from the bypass and watch my nutrients closely with the band.

Ok I am returning to post...because I went to a mandatory support group meeting last night...

yeah...not very supportive...

the meeting moderator asked for people who have had or are planning to have lapband stand up...guess how many....3 including myself...

then I happened to closer to the moderator so I was asked why I choose the lapband....

My response was

"I choose what was right for me....I am young, want to have one more child in the future and don't want deficiency problems. I choose the rougher, tougher road....but it is what will work for me to develop the habits I need to continue this longterm..."

I'll tell you .....the room just went quiet.....

what... what'd I say? One would have thought I cussed.

Hemidrone

It depends on YOU how fast you lose weight - there are people here who have lost 100 in a year or less.

I am 4 1/2 months out and have lost 54

The band is only a tool (just like bypass) it's the food choices you make and exercise - this is a lifetime lifestyle change

If you are ready to use the tools - I would go for lapband as it is less drastic - we don't dump which isn't throwing up for all but just getting phyically sick from eating sugar.. but after 2 yrs the #'s show weight loss the same - You might lose faster with bypass but if you choose to eat correctly and exercise since you are a man - I bet you would lose quickly with the band....

Good Luck on your Journey

4jin, OMG I am so PROUD of you!!! Way to go, girlfriend!! It certainly showed everyone that you had totally researched both and made a choice that was right for you.

My surgeon (two weeks before surgery) told me I should opt for the bypass instead of the band, because of my acid reflux (which he said becomes worse with the band).

He said "You'll lose weight whether you want to or not--you'll lose 100 pounds in a year!" And I KNOW this is the reason a lot of bypass patients opt for it--with no real thought given to the real consequences in the long run. (Did you know that the first bypass patients are now having their livers fail? Found out from my brother the doctor)

Anyway, just wanted to say to you how you stood up for all of us! :)

Since you are a body builder, and lift weights regularly, I think you should know that you WILL lose muscle mass with a bypass. You have absorption problems, and protien deficiencies are very common. In my support group the other night, I heard 3 bypass patients complain about thier loss of muscle mass, and that they were not able to lift as much weight, or had the muscle strength that they used to. As a body builder, I would think losing muscle mass would be a deterent for you. I'm into health. If I'm very healthy and a little overweight so be it, but to be bone thin and sacrifice my health and nutrition. It's just not worth it for me. Several of the bypass patients in my support group look sickly. Probably because they are!! Their skin is a sick grey color and they look drawn instead of pink and rosey. I'm VERY happy with my decision. They can bash me at the meetings all they want. I did the right thing for ME.

I would like to sincerely thank each and every one of you who replied - I did not anticipate the level of help and support, and I think I'm going to like being a participant on these boards!

Thank you!

And if anyone has more to add, please do!

I would like to sincerely thank each and every one of you who replied - I did not anticipate the level of help and support, and I think I'm going to like being a participant on these boards!

Thank you!

And if anyone has more to add, please do!

Hemi - We are a great group if I do say so myself - I found this site right before my 1st visit with the lap-band Doc 5/07 and haven't left since.

I was on another board but like this one so much better and was invited to another once i was here - tried it but this is the greatest group -

My suggestion is to read all that you can - ask questions and you will figure it out...

4jin, OMG I am so PROUD of you!!! Way to go, girlfriend!! It certainly showed everyone that you had totally researched both and made a choice that was right for you.

My surgeon (two weeks before surgery) told me I should opt for the bypass instead of the band, because of my acid reflux (which he said becomes worse with the band).

He said "You'll lose weight whether you want to or not--you'll lose 100 pounds in a year!" And I KNOW this is the reason a lot of bypass patients opt for it--with no real thought given to the real consequences in the long run. (Did you know that the first bypass patients are now having their livers fail? Found out from my brother the doctor)

Anyway, just wanted to say to you how you stood up for all of us! :eek:

thanks so much 4 your encouragement....

Yes try to change my mind...no way.......strap me down and band me please!