Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

rate of weight loss

I am losing 2lbs a week at the moment, my bypass was on the 31st oct. I am eating everything as 1/4th of a cup.

What is everyone else's rate of losing?

Everybody's body is different. 2 lbs a week is GREAT! Congratulations. Some people might lose 3 lbs, some people might lose 1 lb. It all depends on what weight you started at, how much you have to lose, and your own body's response to the surgery. Keep up the good work and don't get stuck comparing yourself to others down the road because there'll be stalls.

5 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

Everybody's body is different. 2 lbs a week is GREAT! Congratulations. Some people might lose 3 lbs, some people might lose 1 lb. It all depends on what weight you started at, how much you have to lose, and your own body's response to the surgery. Keep up the good work and don't get stuck comparing yourself to others down the road because there'll be stalls.

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah I was comparing to see where I stood with other people. But yeah its different for everyone. I havent started exercise yet to be honest so hopefully that helps.

You are right on track 0-5 is the average i have seen around here - Focus on getting a healthy lifestyle not on just poundage, Feels good doesn;t it! Keep it up and at your rate 110 pounds a year!

1 hour ago, Mr Alley Gator said:

You are right on track 0-5 is the average i have seen around here - Focus on getting a healthy lifestyle not on just poundage, Feels good doesn;t it! Keep it up and at your rate 110 pounds a year!

Thanks, yes hopefully I can maintain this weight loss.

I lost 22 lbs. in my surgery month of May 2020. Months following produced 18, 10, then 5 lbs. I have averaged just over 2 lbs. per week since the beginning of the year. Two pounds per week is a healthy, steady rate for weight loss.

There are so many other factors to consider such as weight loss before surgery, your excess body weight, and your nutrition plan.

I've lost 18 lbs since surgery 4.5 weeks ago, so average is 4lbs per week; I'm walking for about 40 minutes per day but can't exercise properly yet as 1 of my incisions still hasn't healed and also I had a hernia repair and stomach still quite tender from the surgery generally. My dietitian's plan is to have at least 800 calories per day, with at least 60g Protein and I'm just about managing this, though I'd say I'm more usually nearer to 700 calories per day than 800. I just can't manage more.

Gradycat had it spot on; everyone really has a different weight loss and at different times. My first two weeks I was still gaining weight after having gained over 10 lbs from the surgery because of complications and some serious swelling. My first Dr appt, the scale didn't show so much but honestly, I was just so happy by the fourth week to have lost the amazing pregnant stomach and lbs gained that it was a win.

I'm 50 and have lost a significant amount since the surgery but it also combined a pre-surgery weight loss of 36 lbs on the program. I didn't exercise for 6 or 7 weeks because of my complications and incisions still re-opening but I did notice I lose weight differently then I ever did before. When I went to see my Dr, they don't go so much by the lbs lost as much as the fat lost and the actual bmi. I'm finding I wear at least a size smaller then I did for my weight previously on diets and my shape is much different then ever before; it could be the age but the Dr did say that the loss will be different in general.

I'm 11 weeks now and have lost a total of 86 lbs; almost 50 since the surgery. However, the one thing I've noticed is that my daughter and I are now sharing clothes and she's just under 170 while I'm 40 lbs heavier. I'm actually wearing about a size 16/18 and an 18 in jeans even though I'm still a few lbs off from onederland. My surgeon said that also is normal. We had a sort of 'argument' about my goal weight as they said my bone loss would be significant due to my age and that my size would not be the same. They capped it at 160 at the minimum goal weight while I wanted lower but now I see they were right. Things that never shrunk before; particularly at 200 lbs, are shrinking and I am much healthier.

In the end that's what the goal has to be. You are still very close to your surgery; you have to give it time. Two lbs a week is ideal and a good weight loss rate. I am now at around 1 lb a week and really ok with that. Some weeks are even less and I'm ok with that too. When you start feeling better, you will notice a big change in your health and quality of life. Just focus on that and knowing you're going down at the rate your body needs. Sometimes, it's better to be pretty steady and slower for skin control, etc.

Exercise will catch up in around 3 weeks to a month for the loss and firmness showing but make sure you stay with your Dr and moderate that so you can continue to lose. I made the mistake previously of exercising too much and lost quick at first then nothing. My trainer said it needs to be gradual for the metabolism to continue to respond.

Congrats on your weight loss that you're having-you are really doing great. Hope what I wrote in detail can help out for now.

12 hours ago, California Guy said:

I lost 22 lbs. in my surgery month of May 2020. Months following produced 18, 10, then 5 lbs. I have averaged just over 2 lbs. per week since the beginning of the year. Two pounds per week is a healthy, steady rate for weight loss.

There are so many other factors to consider such as weight loss before surgery, your excess body weight, and your nutrition plan.

Your weight loss sounds proportionate , congrats on it !

I was just a bit surprised I reached 2 pounds a week already. Better than nothing though.

I know this sounds bad but I am most worried about not being able to drink beer after the surgery. I am a social drinker and enjoy having a beer at sporting events or other places. How many beers are you able to have after the sleeve.

5 hours ago, Deb9386 said:

I've lost 18 lbs since surgery 4.5 weeks ago, so average is 4lbs per week; I'm walking for about 40 minutes per day but can't exercise properly yet as 1 of my incisions still hasn't healed and also I had a hernia repair and stomach still quite tender from the surgery generally. My dietitian's plan is to have at least 800 calories per day, with at least 60g Protein and I'm just about managing this, though I'd say I'm more usually nearer to 700 calories per day than 800. I just can't manage more.

4lbs a week sounds great , I wish my rate was like that. But I understand everyone is different so...

I am sure when everything is healed you 'll be losing more with exercise !

800 cal sounds fair, I know getting in the Protein is difficult at times.

Keep up the progress!

5 hours ago, ichabodny said:

Gradycat had it spot on; everyone really has a different weight loss and at different times. My first two weeks I was still gaining weight after having gained over 10 lbs from the surgery because of complications and some serious swelling. My first Dr appt, the scale didn't show so much but honestly, I was just so happy by the fourth week to have lost the amazing pregnant stomach and lbs gained that it was a win.

I'm 50 and have lost a significant amount since the surgery but it also combined a pre-surgery weight loss of 36 lbs on the program. I didn't exercise for 6 or 7 weeks because of my complications and incisions still re-opening but I did notice I lose weight differently then I ever did before. When I went to see my Dr, they don't go so much by the lbs lost as much as the fat lost and the actual bmi. I'm finding I wear at least a size smaller then I did for my weight previously on diets and my shape is much different then ever before; it could be the age but the Dr did say that the loss will be different in general.

I'm 11 weeks now and have lost a total of 86 lbs; almost 50 since the surgery. However, the one thing I've noticed is that my daughter and I are now sharing clothes and she's just under 170 while I'm 40 lbs heavier. I'm actually wearing about a size 16/18 and an 18 in jeans even though I'm still a few lbs off from onederland. My surgeon said that also is normal. We had a sort of 'argument' about my goal weight as they said my bone loss would be significant due to my age and that my size would not be the same. They capped it at 160 at the minimum goal weight while I wanted lower but now I see they were right. Things that never shrunk before; particularly at 200 lbs, are shrinking and I am much healthier.

In the end that's what the goal has to be. You are still very close to your surgery; you have to give it time. Two lbs a week is ideal and a good weight loss rate. I am now at around 1 lb a week and really ok with that. Some weeks are even less and I'm ok with that too. When you start feeling better, you will notice a big change in your health and quality of life. Just focus on that and knowing you're going down at the rate your body needs. Sometimes, it's better to be pretty steady and slower for skin control, etc.

Exercise will catch up in around 3 weeks to a month for the loss and firmness showing but make sure you stay with your Dr and moderate that so you can continue to lose. I made the mistake previously of exercising too much and lost quick at first then nothing. My trainer said it needs to be gradual for the metabolism to continue to respond.

Congrats on your weight loss that you're having-you are really doing great. Hope what I wrote in detail can help out for now.

Hi, thanks for the reply , much appreciated.

I have my post op appointment this week so I am sure they will weigh me . They will probably echo what you said that 2lbs a week is ok.

So far, I have noticed some clothes are a bit looser which is nice. Weight loss doesnt seem different to before, I am top heavy so I think thats where I will lose the most in inches. I guess its different for everyone .

I am going to start exercise today because my incisions looks healed. I will try to jog but not over do it. My metabolism feels random, hopefully exercise will give it a kick.

And thank you, you've done great weight loss yourself!

14 minutes ago, Matteo4498 said:

I know this sounds bad but I am most worried about not being able to drink beer after the surgery. I am a social drinker and enjoy having a beer at sporting events or other places. How many beers are you able to have after the sleeve.

Erm, I think some surgeons say carbonated drinks is a no no, so it depends. I imagine when you've reached eating normal textures then you can try. Alcohol has to be limited in quantity though.

It's been 45 weeks since my surgery and I've averaged 2.4lbs per week. That hasn't been steady though. A LOT of peaks and valleys in there. I went over 6 weeks at one point and hardly lost a pound. I've also been lifting heavy in the gym which can throw the scale results off but overall fat loss will be down. I'm happy with the overall results so far though.

For me it really just has varied every week. I know on the days that weight doesnt move that my food hasn't changed so I dont panic about the scale and viola still keep going down. I aim for a monthly goal and try to hit that because the scale can really flux with Water, bathroom habits etc on day to day basis