Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nov 2020 Bypass Peeps?

13 hours ago, TrueNorth1 said:

Did you have a burger with the bun?

No, but I’ve had bread since then. I think something might have gotten stuck somewhere, and just didn’t sit right. I had felt sorta nauseas half the day, but don’t remember what all I had that day or evening. I haven’t had any problems with anything I’ve eaten except that day.
also, I’m trying to get my ticker up and running, but I get this message saying it hasn’t been rendered yet.....or something like that.....what do I need to do to get it out there? Yours looks so perty!🥰

Edited by Grammie2
Oh!!! It woiked!! Lol

48 minutes ago, Grammie2 said:

No, but I’ve had bread since then. I think something might have gotten stuck somewhere, and just didn’t sit right. I had felt sorta nauseas half the day, but don’t remember what all I had that day or evening. I haven’t had any problems with anything I’ve eaten except that day.
also, I’m trying to get my ticker up and running, but I get this message saying it hasn’t been rendered yet.....or something like that.....what do I need to do to get it out there? Yours looks so perty!🥰

Ok, I signed in with my laptop. On the main screen to the far right your profile name with an arrow. Click the down arrow to get this this:

image.png.cfb52457312fb1d31d2ef2f874e6b10c.png

Then click on My Tickers. To the right it says CREATE. Try that.

Let me know if it works for you. I can only do it on my computer, not my phone.

Hi November peeps, I was a Nov person too and postponed it to Feb. I feel that if I can gain the weight back, what's the point? I hear it over and over again and it really concerns me. That and feeling sick. Am I wrong? I need some people's feelings about this.

7 minutes ago, lynnh said:

Hi November peeps, I was a Nov person too and postponed it to Feb. I feel that if I can gain the weight back, what's the point? I hear it over and over again and it really concerns me. That and feeling sick. Am I wrong? I need some people's feelings about this.

Hi Lynne,

RNY/GB or any weightloss surgery is a serious operation, and I don’t know your age, but I’m 69 (next month) and I had it done so I could not only lose weight, but get off some medicines, not have sleep apnea anymore, and stop eating when I’m full, maneuver around better, look better in my clothes, and be able to TRY harder to keep up with our 3 little grandkids! I have only gotten nauseated one time that I had to throw up, and I think I just wasn’t watching myself close enough. I do not regret getting it done. My weightloss is slower than a lot, but I’m eating more of what I like, just less of it. I figure I want to die eating what I like in life. But a younger person has a lot more different things to deal with than me. And maybe the way I’m doing it won’t work either, but I’m going to stick with eating what I’m comfortable with. I may not be able to hit my goal, but I’m still losing, and I’m happy with that.

37 minutes ago, lynnh said:

Hi Lynn and happy new year!

You certainly have to be comfortable with the surgery. You need to weigh out the pros and cons. It is generally for people that are obese or morbidly obese and have been for a while. Those that cant get off the weight or yo-yo. Those that have health issues. As we know, there are major health issues of being severely overweight. With the surgery, you will lose weight, but if you push overeating and you continue to eat high fat and high sugar foods, you will eventually gain the weight back. It will take a while but you will. That is in your control.

As for pain, the sleeve will be less painful than the full gastric bypass. I had the mini gastric bypass and I had no real pain. Some gas pain that was uncomfortable but no pain. I didn't have to take pain medication. I had it done on a Thursday and was working on Tuesday (desk job at home). I was doing laundry and walking around the house on the Saturday and Sunday - also trying to keep moving (it relieves the gas) and it was no problem. The only thing I would not do is lift anything heavy. Or bend with my stomach (I would bend with a squat) as not to put any pressure on the surgery site.

I had the mini gastric bypass done in November 2020 and was also wondering if I should get it done. I did not qualify for insurance as my BMI was too low and I do not have any other health issues, so I had to pay for mine personally. I had a lap band that I needed removed so I had to make the call if I do a revision to mini gastric bypass or try weight loss on my own. At that time, I had already gained almost 30 pounds from my lowest with the band (I had the band in 2009 so it was 10 years). I tried and tried to loose weight on my own. I would loose 10 then gain it back. I never came close to losing 30. So, I did the surgery and I am happy. I am down 23 pounds in just a little over 6 weeks and I could never do that on my own. I want to lose a total of 60 pounds so I am 1/3 of the way there in 6 weeks. It may slow down but I am ok with it. Now, am I eating wings, nachos, pizza, burgers, fries, cake, Cookies? Nope. Will I try these at some point? Yes. Just like any diet, as you see the results, its somewhat easy to be "good". I have had crackers, flavored rice cakes, bananas, salted almonds, carrots, turnip, butternut squash Soup, etc and lost weight. When I hit a plateau ( recently) I went low cal and low carb and pushed through. So, you control your weight loss. The surgery just makes it easier to do that!

Thank you so much. That really did help. My BMI is 34 and I qualify due to hypertension, sleep apnea and high cholesterol. Believe it or not it was the sleep apnea that qualified me the most. I did loose 20 lbs since May, but it is creeping back pound by 4 pounds. Thanks for the good advise.

What's a mini gastric sleeve?

What's a mini gastric sleeve? And I'm 58. Thanks grammie!

8 minutes ago, lynnh said:

What's a mini gastric sleeve?

There is the sleeve which I believe you are getting? Its slicing the stomach to make it smaller but no bypassing.

Then there is the Gastric Bypass. This is surgery that makes your stomach smaller and also bypasses parts of your stomach and small intestine.

Then there is a mini gastric bypass. This is the similar to the gastric bypass but involves less intestinal rerouting and the surgery is shorter. It is also reversible. I don't think Insurance companies cover this one yet.

Hi All

Just wanted to check in on the November Surgery People! Well really all of us that have had the surgery!

I hope you are all doing well !

I have recently been have issues with eating to fast and the results are similar to dumping! Has anyone else experienced this ?

I also do not feel hungry ever and I eat based on the recommendations from my Barbaric Clinic.

I also do not get the full feeling !

Any others experience this , any tips or advice ?

1 hour ago, cpudoctor2020 said:

Hi All

Just wanted to check in on the November Surgery People! Well really all of us that have had the surgery!

I have recently been have issues with eating to fast and the results are similar to dumping! Has anyone else experienced this ?

I also do not feel hungry ever and I eat based on the recommendations from my Barbaric Clinic.

I have had one episode of throwing up, and it was about 3 weeks after my November 4 surgery. I’m not sure why, but it only happened once, and I’ve been more careful since. I have never had a problem with diarrhea, and was told that’s what dumping is, stomach upset and painful . I may have just eaten more than I should have....not sure, but I’ve watched it more carefully since then, taking a break from eating my food to maybe see if I’m getting full and not realizing it. Maybe you could aim for the satisfied feeling instead of full, but if you stop midways and give it a couple minutes, you may stop sooner because you just may not want anything more. I sometimes do get hungry, but not always. I just recently started getting back into drinking part of a Protein Shake in between, just to get more Protein in, because I am way behind in what they recommend.
I like your reference to the barbaric clinic! Lol I feel like that sometimes trying to jump thru all their hoops.....lol

i am happy with my weightloss, even though it’s slowed down quite a bit from the results at the very beginning. I am averaging about 1-1/2 lbs a week which prolly if I ate more according to regimen I would lose more, but maybe not. I am so thankful to be on regular food now, and I’m learning about what my body needs and my mind wants. A lot of head hunger, only to get it and find it’s not as satisfying as I remembered before surgery, so I know my tastes have changed. We have gone out to eat several times, and I always have enough leftovers for several more meals, if I want it that many times!! Lol But it feels good to go out again. Some foods go better than others. I have a problem that most times I don’t have any strong feeling as to what I’d like to eat. After a few bites I’m done! Not cuz I’m full but because I just don’t want it anymore.

So how are you November people doing?

3 hours ago, cpudoctor2020 said:

Hi All

Hi There,

I have had something once....not sure it was dumping. I had a day where I ate and ate and ate....all goof stuff, but I was hungry! until I was full. And then I had gas and diarrhea. I did not throw up. I was not nauseated. I was not sweating. Just diarrhea....for about 2 hours off and on....and I think everything came out of me.

I will take that any day over throwing up.

I get hungry. I wait and make sure it is real hunger and not mental hunger. But I try not to wait too long or then I am famished and after 1 serving I am still hungry. I never feel full unless I eat too much which I very rarely do because I stop myself. If I didn't stop myself I could certainly eat more than I do. I only put a portion of food on my plate that I am allowed. 80% of the time I want more. But I don't allow myself.

On my worst day of overeating I had 1424 calories and it consisted of (throughout the full day but most within a 4 hr period). I clearly was craving carbs as I have cut the carbs to very low!

Organic Roasted pepper and Tomato Soup with 8 saltine crackers (total of 2 cups)

1/2 cup of almonds

mini flavoured rice cakes (about 15 mini)

Cabbage & ham

I cup plain greek yogurt with 1/2 an apple

Goldfish crackers about 30g

1 cup chicken broth with cabbage and ground veal

After all that, I didn't gain...but in reality, 1424 calories is probably a normal day for the average normal person. So, If I have one of those every now and then and that is what I consider a pig out, I am ok with it! I just wont do it often because I don't want to stretch my new tummy.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:52 AM, cpudoctor2020 said:

Hi All

If I eat fast (which is a problem for me), I feel it immediately!! I have to sit at the table no distractions and literally time myself and wait at least 30 sec. to 1 min. Between bites... it’s a pain, but otherwise I inhale food.
I was struggling so much with the recommended diet, Constipation, nausea and sick from too much animal Protein. I got permission on Friday to switch to a Whole Foods plant based diet. I am so much happier, and able to meet the protein requirements easier. I’ve never been a big meat eater and I had dairy intolerance pre-surgery. It didn’t improve. So for me, this is a life saver. I’m sharing so that you can do what you need to make this lifestyle your own. If you are having a hard time meeting it in anyway, over time it will wear you out, at least it would me. I’ve tried to remove as many obstacles and complications so I can have the best chance at success. I’ve read a lot of people feeling like they don’t get the full and they can easily eat whatever, they aren’t hungry. what I’ve seen the response is, it will change over time and stick to the plan so you don’t accidentally stretch your stomach, or become malnutritioned. There are days I don’t feel hungry, but if I wait too long I feel nauseous. Best of luck!!

4 hours ago, Lanie Hardy said:

If I eat fast (which is a problem for me), I feel it immediately!! I have to sit at the table no distractions and literally time myself and wait at least 30 sec. to 1 min. Between bites... it’s a pain, but otherwise I inhale food.
I was struggling so much with the recommended diet, constipation, nausea and sick from too much animal Protein. I got permission on Friday to switch to a Whole Foods plant based diet. I am so much happier, and able to meet the Protein requirements easier. I’ve never been a big meat eater and I had dairy intolerance pre-surgery. It didn’t improve. So for me, this is a life saver. I’m sharing so that you can do what you need to make this lifestyle your own. If you are having a hard time meeting it in anyway, over time it will wear you out, at least it would me. I’ve tried to remove as many obstacles and complications so I can have the best chance at success. I’ve read a lot of people feeling like they don’t get the full and they can easily eat whatever, they aren’t hungry. what I’ve seen the response is, it will change over time and stick to the plan so you don’t accidentally stretch your stomach, or become malnutritioned. There are days I don’t feel hungry, but if I wait too long I feel nauseous. Best of luck!!

I feel like you do Lanie, and I’ll be anxious to get my blood work done for my 3 month checkup to see how I’m fairing. I got so frustrated with the protein, Constipation, and I too have adjusted my diet. That’s the big reason why I want my blood work done. I’m feeling fine, the pressure to “perform” is off, and I’m trying new things. I know my taste has changed quite a bit, too, which some things I used to LOVE don’t have much draw anymore. And I’m thankful for that. I think I’ll do okay with this lifestyle change. My supplements will hopefully make up for what I may be missing. Next month will tell.