Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning BMI 35 or under

I had a BMI of 32 with no comorbidities. I had to self pay. First spot was in September and I had surgery in November. This was 2017.

I advise addressing any food addiction or other mental health concerns adequately prior to surgery. Or you may end up like me 3 years later and qualifying for surgery yet again and pursuing revision. Dealt with my trauma with food and I had to do therapy before I felt ready to seek revision now.

5 minutes ago, redhead_che said:

I had a BMI of 32 with no comorbidities. I had to self pay. First spot was in September and I had surgery in November. This was 2017.

I advise addressing any food addiction or other mental health concerns adequately prior to surgery. Or you may end up like me 3 years later and qualifying for surgery yet again and pursuing revision. Dealt with my trauma with food and I had to do therapy before I felt ready to seek revision now.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a question though, did you feel like you had to get a revision because, with 50 pounds to go, you had just stopped losing?

I am 5'4 and 61 years old. Starting weight was 195 (BMI 35). I chose the sleeve and paid out of pocket. Went to Blossom in Las Vegas. The day after surgery I had a 5 hour flight and then a 2 hour car ride home. I did the trip alone and no one knows I had surgery. I was sore, but not in severe pain. I just took it slow. The day of surgery weighed 183. Monday was 12 weeks post op for me. I lost a total of 42 lbs. The weight loss has been slow. I track my Water, calories and Protein very day. I only record my weight once a week, but do weigh myself every day. Adding real food back into your diet is a scary and slow process. You are not sure what your new stomach will tolerate. Remember to put the fork down and push your plate away after the first bite. Give your stomach time to see how it reacts to what you just put in it. All I can say is go slow and be kind and patient with yourself. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to eat a little because your energy will be low. It is ok to take a nap during the day. It is a weird feeling not to be hungry. You will hear this from everyone - sip, sip, sip. You need to put fluids into your body. Dehydration will put you in the hospital. I know they want to you drink 64 oz, but that is unrealistic in the beginning. I now can take a normal drink of water (no gulping). Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good luck with your journey.

2 hours ago, niabo said:

Thanks for the advice. I do have a question though, did you feel like you had to get a revision because, with 50 pounds to go, you had just stopped losing?

No, this wasn’t the case for me. At my lowest I had lost 105lbs with my first sleeve.

I am now BMI of 34. I'm still going to do it. I have hypertension, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and arthritis. My brother was just diagnosed a diabetic at 67.

I am BMI 35 and am having the sleeve procedure in a week and a half. I don’t have enough comorbidities for my insurance to pay but I am going to a clinic where they will bill insurance for what they can and I am paying a set price. I’ve never cared what other people think about my actions and I’ve never been considered unreasonable. I, like you, tried for several years to lose even just 30 pounds. I did it but the minute I went off of my low-carb diet, it all started coming back.

I hovered right around 35 BMI. Friends and family insisted that I was "too small" for surgery. I considered it off and on for about 10 years, and finally decided to do it (sleeve), and just not tell anyone so I didn't need to deal with the judgement. Only regret I have is not doing it sooner. My weight loss was slow going at first. At the two year mark I'd lost about 50 pounds and while I was super happy at that weight, I had expected to lose a bit more. Year 3 I've lost another 20 pounds and am actually "working" to stay at this weight. I could easily lose more if I wanted to be slimmer.

No insurance coverage. Paid for everything out of pocket.

Edited by ItsJustMeToo

I am at BMI of 35 or 207lbs at 5'5". My highest weight was 218. I am just finishing up my 6 month prerequisites. Hoping for surgery in January. I have not told very many people. Everyone has their own opinions and I really don't care what they think. I am almost 60 and have been battling my weight since I was 30. Do it for yourself. Keep it to yourself. I am having gastric bypass done due to GERD. I am also a diabetic, hypertension, sleep apnea, joint pain, back pain. I am retiring from Nursing in 2 years and I want to enjoy my new life. We plan to travel. I want to hike and bike and not huff and puff! Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Just curious, how everyone was doing. My BMI is 35 with no co-morbidities and I have been contemplating the sleeve. My doctor actually recommended the band for me but I have read all the complications and told him I wanted the sleeve but now I am wondering if I should go back on my decision. With the band, if I hate it I can take it out but with the sleeve it is permanent. He said the good thing with the band is if something gets stuck he can adjust it. So for those with the lower BMI, was it worth it to get the sleeve?

10 minutes ago, flgirl23 said:

Just curious, how everyone was doing. My BMI is 35 with no co-morbidities and I have been contemplating the sleeve. My doctor actually recommended the band for me but I have read all the complications and told him I wanted the sleeve but now I am wondering if I should go back on my decision. With the band, if I hate it I can take it out but with the sleeve it is permanent. He said the good thing with the band is if something gets stuck he can adjust it. So for those with the lower BMI, was it worth it to get the sleeve?

I had my vsg in August 2020 with no complications. I started with a BMI of 35. My BMI is now down to 23.5. Since surgery (26 weeks), I have lost 47 lbs, but if I include the pre-op diet weight loss, I have lost 59 lbs. The weight loss has been slow. With the sleeve, they remove ghrelin. Ghrelin stimulates the brain to increase your appetite. It has been strange not to crave sugary treats. I have no regrets getting the surgery. Good luck with whatever procedure you choose.

56 minutes ago, flgirl23 said:

I am 52 - 5’9” and weighed 241 when I was sleeved on Nov 14. I wasn’t “huge” but people would have described me as “a bigger lady”. I was wearing size 16 to my mortification. My problem is that have arthritis (not a qualifying cormorbiduty) and my bp kept rising and my cholesterol was not helped by the Keto diet I had tried for 2 full years.

I’m 11 weeks out and weigh 207. This makes my BMI 30.6. I’m almost overweight and not obese! My bp is in the normal range. My clothes are too big. I was able to buy a well fitting large, rather than XL shirt.

I’ve had zero complications. Wish I had done it sooner (you’ll hear this a lot).

By the way, the band - man, people are constantly talking about how it slipped, etc. sounds like a nightmare.

Edited by Catgirl29

I was right around 35. I was about 220 at my highest weight. Surgeons office considered me on the “small side”. I was approved for surgery because of my comorbidities. High BP, GERD and apnea, fatty liver and joint pain.

It’s been the best thing I could have done. I feel so great!!

Thanks to you all! What a great help to my piece of mind. I'm going Wed 2/3. I'm at peace finally.