Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetic and High blood pressure, off meds?



Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, It's time. said:

Did they do any testing before taking you off the blood pressure meds or the cholesterol med?

For the cholesterol, I was tested before my 2 week pre-surgery liquid diet, then the day after surgery, then at my 1 week post op, then again at my 1 month followup...thats when I was taken off it. (Was tested further at 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and 1 year. Its worth noting that at 6 months my cholesterol went up again...apparently, i was told, because of the release from all the fat that was coming off. It went back down by my 9 month checkup)

For the high blood pressure again I was tested before and after surgery (I also have a blood pressure machine at home, so I took daily readings). It was remarkably low the day after surgery, and because I was semi-blacking out that first week post op, doc took me off the pills at the 1 week checkup. Been off it ever since. Today (at 1.5+ years post op) my blood pressure regularly hovers in the very low end range of “normal”.

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Mackismine44 said:

Oh my goodness, this is good news!!! I took metformin for years, got to where it hurt my kidneys. Now on tresiba daily, trulicity once a week, novolog at every meal. I have a bmi of 31.4, and so long to come off some of these meds!

So I’m not sure if BMI had much to do with it vs. the rapid weight loss (but don’t quote me on that! Lol)

According to my weight loss records, at one week post op (when i got off the BP meds), my BMI was 39.7

And at my one months (when I got off cholesterol meds) my BMI was 37.0

...and both these numbers are way higher than yours.

Of course, there are other factors at play (age, pre-disposition, medical history, level of exercise, diet, etc), but this was my experience, in any case.

Edited to add: Today, my BMI is 21, so this likely has a circular effect on the lower BP these days?

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ms.sss said:

So I’m not sure if BMI had much to do with it vs. the rapid weight loss (but don’t quote me on that! Lol)

According to my weight loss records, at one week post op (when i got off the BP meds), my BMI was 39.7

And at my one months (when I got off cholesterol meds) my BMI was 37.0

...and both these numbers are way higher than yours.

Of course, there are other factors at play (age, pre-disposition, medical history, level of exercise, diet, etc), but this was my experience, in any case.

Edited to add: Today, my BMI is 21, so this likely has a circular effect on the lower BP these days?

Unbelievable!!!!!! So amazing, this helps to read this! I am still so nervous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to get off my BP med at my one month post op visit, and had a repeat sleep study at about 3 months and no longer need a CPAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, kristieshannon said:

I was able to get off my BP med at my one month post op visit, and had a repeat sleep study at about 3 months and no longer need a CPAP.

Excellent news!!! May I ask how long you had it and what meds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was taking 4 different blood pressure meds & 2 types of insulin plus Metformin. Had my surgery in May & now I’m off all my blood pressure meds & diabetic meds! I feel great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Zanniebird said:

I was taking 4 different blood pressure meds & 2 types of insulin plus Metformin. Had my surgery in May & now I’m off all my blood pressure meds & diabetic meds! I feel great!

Oh my goodness!!!!!!! I am so hoping that I can!!! I am getting so nervous though.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was off my BP Med 2 weeks after ESG. The only word thing was that at my 1 year lab work my Colerain was slightly elevated at 219. Will have it checked again at 2yr (September) and see if it is back in normal range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, LynnV1964 said:

I was off my BP Med 2 weeks after ESG. The only word thing was that at my 1 year lab work my Colerain was slightly elevated at 219. Will have it checked again at 2yr (September) and see if it is back in normal range

Great news!!!!! I an only taking half of one, a week and half after surgery, and before I was on 2!!!!!!! Hope all goes well with you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m late to the party but my blood pressure regimen was

9am: 25mg chlorthalidone
200mg lebetalol
25mg aldactone

3pm: 25mg aldactone


9-10pm 200mg labetalol.

Upon leaving the hospital my new regimen is 100mg of labetalol twice a day! Hoping to be completely off in a month or two!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChicagoEsti said:

I’m late to the party but my blood pressure regimen was

9am: 25mg chlorthalidone
200mg lebetalol
25mg aldactone

3pm: 25mg aldactone


9-10pm 200mg labetalol.

Upon leaving the hospital my new regimen is 100mg of labetalol twice a day! Hoping to be completely off in a month or two!

Thank you for sharing!!! So happy for you!! I think this all amazing this works like this! I couldn't believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×