Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2020 surgeries

11 hours ago, Paula.Hamilton said:

My surgery is June 8th!! Anyone want to be surgery buddies?

June 8th! Hi Surgery Twin! ^_^

On 5/29/2020 at 4:39 PM, MaybeMeow said:

Havethree! Not quite a surgery twin but I'm June 9th and also have never been in the hospital except childbirth! What Protein Shake are you liking? I don't feel ready for the post op weeks one which I hear is reallY challenging. What is everyone doing to prepare? I bought a body pillow, Protein Powder, gas X, a heating pad, a new blender, Bone Broth, and some 2 ox portion cups to prepare little Jello and pudding servings with Protein powder in them. I plan to do a big shop next week. Trying to put together a list. Anyone have a shopping list already?

My favorite Protein Shake on the pre op diet has been fairlife nutrition plan chocolate - it's 30grams Protein, 2 grams sugar, and 150 cals - and it's my favorite. I've tried all the flavors of Premier Protein so far. I have a sample pack from Syntrax Nectar. I also have tried Isopure tropical fruit - which was a nice change. I LOVE costco's organic chicken Bone Broth - it's 12g Protein, 45 cal per cup. I also got liquid IV packets to add to Water. I mix one in 52 ounces of water of the passion fruit flavor (I double checked with my surgeon and dietician that it was ok - they said to limit it to 2 packets a day - but I'm only using one). It makes it easier for me to meet my water goals, and I'm getting some electrolytes too. I've heard tastes can change drastically post surgery - so I'm trying not to stock up too much on any one thing, just in case I hate it after Wednesday. I got some unflavored Protein Powder too - but haven't tried it yet. I ordered a food thermometer, because some of those Proteins congeal if they get hotter than 140F. I also ordered a measuring tape - so I can take measurements for when I hit my first 'stall' on the scale.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:28 PM, colormehappy said:

I’m 6/2! So close!

We can still be almost twins! I had my covid test yesterday - and have been self-quarantined ever since. You're less than 24 hours out - HOW EXCITING!!!!!

On 5/31/2020 at 2:01 AM, MaybeMeow said:

OOH! A couple June 8thers! I'm June 9th. I shall follow you closely. I'm having bypass.

@BOREDFATGIRL... can you convert your numbers to pounds and inches? Then I'll know how close we are! I'm looking for Bypass Buddies!

I am 5'7 and I weigh 284lbs

9 minutes ago, havethree said:

We can still be almost twins! I had my covid test yesterday - and have been self-quarantined ever since. You're less than 24 hours out - HOW EXCITING!!!!!

Same! Well I had my COVID test Saturday. I’m not nervous yet, I wonder if I won’t be until I leave the house in the morning. How about you?

1 minute ago, colormehappy said:

Same! Well I had my COVID test Saturday. I’m not nervous yet, I wonder if I won’t be until I leave the house in the morning. How about you?

I alternate between completely freaked out and wanting to back out, to thinking of every possible bad outcome and complication, to logically knowing this is the best chance I have at success and instead of imagining the worst case, imagining the best case. My brain is a bit in overdrive, I think! This pre-op process has been so hard - but I've done it. I've cooked for my family, I've even picked up fast food for them, and I haven't cheated. That willpower has to mean something. Not sure I've been quite this committed before. So yes, I'm all over the place in how I'm feeling! Super emotional. And a little terrified of vomiting post op. I don't know why I have such a fear of that - but I do. I should probably explore it with my therapist. I have a session tomorrow. Anxiety brain isn't always rational 🙂

So exciting as these dates approach. @Boardfatgirl ... whose name will not be accurate soon enough we can be one day apart bypass twins!

@colormehappy and @havethree... I have the same worries. I dreampt last a friend who recently passed from pancreatic cancer came to me and said not to do the surgery. I woke in a pile of sweat. It's the voluntary part, I think. When you have a family who needs you and a life to live and you choose to risk it... obviously in the hopes to better yourself. It's scary. But I'm trying to think less. Just ... think. Less. I've made the decision. My surgeon has done nearly 4000 WLS. I'm just trusting its the right thing.

I am getting more and more nervous about the surgery myself, especially when I read from those who have had complications, but I know that this is necessary for me to live a better life and be capable of taking care of myself and those around me.. which also makes me quite excited!

My husband is going on night shifts (for the week) starting tonight and normally I stay up all night with him, but since my surgery is going to be at 7:15AM, and I have to fast, I would like to sleep through it.. ^_^ I also don't want to be too grouchy at the hospital due to being tired and hangry.. >.<

I am due to get my coronavirus test done this Saturday and then Monday is game time..!

My nurse said that if I wanted to have one big last meal to do it three days before the surgery, but I honestly don't think I am going to do that at all. I have already had plenty of 'one big last meals' and they've only messed me up, honestly.

So no pre-op diet for you, @Board? I didn't think I'd do the food funeral either because the last 2 months in covid have been one big food fest. But we did order Chinese last night and a dessert I won't describe cuz I think it's probably bad form to talk about food too specifically on a WLS forum. I am trying to reduce and then completely cut sugar during these last 8 days so I can deal with the headaches and flu-like symptoms (that comes every time I try and limit carbs) BEFORE I have surgery. Unfortunately I can't have motrin to help the headache I'm experiencing right now. Just gonna power thru. I already feel a bit like a baby about this prep. No sugar. Headache but no pain reliever allowed. I gotta toughen up. And I will.

Surgery tomorrow at 9 am !

So no pre-op diet for you, @Board?

I have to keep at or below 129kg (284lbs), but otherwise, there has been no specific diet that they've told me to be on. I got down to 124kg, but I am, as of this morning, back up to 133kg, so I am kind of in a panic. I know it's mostly Water weight, but I'm terrified that they will send me home on the day of if I am not where I am supposed to be.

Since my original date was postponed due to the pandemic, I have been messing up my personal diet pretty badly. I am "good" for a few days and then I get overwhelming stress and turn right back to food. I plan on going to a therapist after surgery to help find better ways to cope.

I will probably switch to a Keto diet if I don't see a dramatic amount of weight loss over the next few days here..

Edited by BoredFatGirl

11 minutes ago, CindyGH said:

Surgery tomorrow at 9 am !

How exciting! Good luck, stay safe, and keep us updated!

On 5/30/2020 at 5:43 PM, melstine said:

June 2 🥳

Same!! Good luck tomorrow!

My surgery is tomorrow morning at 730am. I have to be there at 5 to check in, about 45 min from my house. I also have to be up at 3 for the Hibiclens shower and to drink a Gatorade. Between that and nerves I’m not sure I’ll be sleeping tonight!