Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2020 Surgery Folks Come On in!

I didn't see an official thread so I started one! I finally got my date in March on St. Patrick's Day just before my birthday. I'm excited and anxious all at once. It could have been scheduled in late Jan/Feb but the bari center didn't get the Doctor's clearance that they were looking for and I had to wait until she got off of her winter break to get her to redo it, and then it took a couple of weeks for me to finally call them. They had called but either didn't leave a message or didn't leave the right number (because they are associated with the hospital) so it took a while, plus I'm too busy at work right now to take off anyway.

Now that it's all set up, I have to spend the next month or so preparing the house, starting with the kitchen. Everything that I can't eat anymore is gonna get tossed. Starting Tuesday, I will be going to the bari classes so that I can get my head totally into this. The waiting has been annoying, but it's all falling into place. Sometimes I can't believe I'm really doing this!

I’m scheduled for March 11. Just waiting for insurance approval. best of luck!

3 hours ago, MaineDoc said:

The insurance approval went well compared to having to track my doctor down. Who knew?

March 3rd, sleeve to bypass revision. I started my pre-op diet this week (I don't need to for another 2 weeks but I wanted to get a head start). The hard part for me is that I will be travelling for 3 weeks before my surgery, so I hope that I can deal with all the different foods while away.

I'm an outlier here as I'll be getting my surgery done in Estonia (!). I live in Japan and there's only one really expensive place in Tokyo to get it done -- it's just easier and cheaper for me to go abroad, since no matter what I choose, I have to self-pay. I had my last surgery in Mexico, so this will definitely be a change. It's really interesting how different the recommendations between the US/Mexico and Europe are for eating both pre- and post-op. I get to have a full meal (carb-heavy) the day before surgery!

4 hours ago, biginjapan said:

March 3rd, sleeve to bypass revision. I started my pre-op diet this week (I don't need to for another 2 weeks but I wanted to get a head start). The hard part for me is that I will be travelling for 3 weeks before my surgery, so I hope that I can deal with all the different foods while away.

I'm an outlier here as I'll be getting my surgery done in Estonia (!). I live in Japan and there's only one really expensive place in Tokyo to get it done -- it's just easier and cheaper for me to go abroad, since no matter what I choose, I have to self-pay. I had my last surgery in Mexico, so this will definitely be a change. It's really interesting how different the recommendations between the US/Mexico and Europe are for eating both pre- and post-op. I get to have a full meal (carb-heavy) the day before surgery!

May I ask why your converting from the sleeve to by-pass?

2 hours ago, ronjsteele1 said:

May I ask why your converting from the sleeve to by-pass?

My sleeve and I failed. Despite numerous attempts to reset it, nothing has worked. It's also clear that I have a sugar addiction. I should have done the bypass from the beginning, but I was a little fearful of it and the lifetime of supplementation. I'm hoping that the bypass, and knowing what I know from my previous experience, that this will be more successful.

I got a little booklet on meal plans for RNY and watching videos done by Dr. Duc C Vuong -- he's very good and gives a lot of good advice.

I plan to thoroughly clean out my kitchen this weekend and dump everything I can't eat post-op.

On 02/05/2020 at 13:00, MaineDoc said:

Got insurance approval so it’s finally really real!

I'm scheduled for gastric sleeve Mar. 26th, which feels like it's coming faster and faster. I needed a day close to Spring Break to avoid disrupting my schedule (work in special ed), and that was the day I wanted when I sent in my application in October... and I got it! ✔️

I started shakes for Breakfast last November and 80 net carbs per day. Next week I'll switch to shakes for lunch. I have to change some meds with my regular doc this month and have an endoscopy Mar. 3rd.

Mar. 11-25th is a milk/clear liquids only diet. That is going to be rough while still working up to the day before surgery, especially since if I escalate or am not with it, the kids can escalate. Definitely have to up my vitamins!

Hi March people! I am scheduled for Gastric Bypass on March 5th. I am getting nervous, anxious and excited. I work a desk job (accounting) wondering how much time people take off for Bypass (robotic) before heading back to work. I am tenatively taking a week off then will work from home for 2 weeks before heading back to the office.

I got a little booklet on meal plans for RNY and watching videos done by Dr. Duc C Vuong -- he's very good and gives a lot of good advice.
I plan to thoroughly clean out my kitchen this weekend and dump everything I can't eat post-op.

That's a great idea. I'm going food shopping this weekend since I start my liquid diet on 2/18. I just dont want to buy unnecessary stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hi March people! I am scheduled for Gastric Bypass on March 5th. I am getting nervous, anxious and excited. I work a desk job (accounting) wondering how much time people take off for Bypass (robotic) before heading back to work. I am tenatively taking a week off then will work from home for 2 weeks before heading back to the office.
I work a desk job also - in Health Insurance ironic right. I'm taking a week off then a week working half days from home. I'm scheduled for 3/2. I know it's a 2 week minimum for sleevers...not so sure for bypass peeps.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk