Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2020 Surgery Folks Come On in!

I just got my date! March 10th! I can’t believe it. I’m so excited. I didn’t think I would get anything so soon. I’m meeting with the surgeon for the first time on Monday. So the NP yesterday and she said I’m good to go for surgery. Wow this happened fast

That makes 3 of us!

On 2/20/2020 at 8:37 AM, Slimmy-mommeee said:

It hasn't been completely horrible, probably because my sister/cousin is doing it with me out of sympathy...lol. I'm on day 4 now. The first day I was hangry...mad at everyone and difficult to be around so I locked myself in my bedroom and told my boys to give me some space. The second and third day were less difficult. It gets easier each day and I've lost 4 lbs already! I also have more energy and my body aches aren't as bad. I am happier when I wake up, although that may be because the surgery is right around the corner .
But your lucky your liquid diet is only a week. My advice would be to find Protein Shakes that you like. Premier Protein taste good to me. I also have the Walmart equate brand and they are okay. People say to drink lots of Water to help stay full. I can't do that as my bladder is really weak so I just keep drinking the shakes and broth eating my boiled egg whites, Jello and popsicles. And I'm still allowed coffee and half and half so I have that and my Vitamin for Breakfast. Just stock up on what you need and ride it out. Our surgery day will be here before we know it!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice!

On 2/20/2020 at 10:17 AM, Slimmy-mommeee said:

So this is a general question to the forum or whomever created it (sorry not sure who that was). Im pretty new here and not quite certain of how everything works. As we are going through the process and once we get our surgery, is this where we would post updates and find general support from one another?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Some folk continue to post in the pre-op thread and I've seen a few post-op threads started, but not anything current other than the January folks. I think where ever you feel comfortable.

My, my! It's getting so real for me now! A week from tomorrow will be the beginning of my liquid diet! Although I seem to be getting some early practice in due to this stupid tooth! AGH. I'm in the middle of a root canal -- I started to tell the dentist just to pull it, but I didn't want a gaping hole in my mouth weeks before the big surgery. So I have to put up with the pain until my dentist finishes. I have to see him 3 more times in 2 weeks until he can cap it.

Last week, I cleaned out my kitchen cabinets and the freezer; next weekend I plan to remove all food from the refrig except for what I can have during the liquid phase. I also have to get my place in order before my sis gets here.

I had wanted the surgery in January, but I believe in the divine order of things. Things got held up until my primary doctor returned from vacay because the Bari center didn't accept her clearance statement, so she had to redo it. By the time the Bari center was able to catch up with me (late January), I decided to wait until March until my sis could get here and I wasn't trying to have surgery during the retrograde.

As it turns out, the surgery will be 2 days before my birthday, as divinely ordered (at least in my mind anyway); it will be a renewal, a reset, a reorder to my life.

Nevermind my babbling... I plan to use this thread as my public journey all the way.

30 minutes ago, Mello1 said:

My, my! It's getting so real for me now! A week from tomorrow will be the beginning of my liquid diet! Although I seem to be getting some early practice in due to this stupid tooth! AGH. I'm in the middle of a root canal -- I started to tell the dentist just to pull it, but I didn't want a gaping hole in my mouth weeks before the big surgery. So I have to put up with the pain until my dentist finishes. I have to see him 3 more times in 2 weeks until he can cap it.

Last week, I cleaned out my kitchen cabinets and the freezer; next weekend I plan to remove all food from the refrig except for what I can have during the liquid phase. I also have to get my place in order before my sis gets here.

I had wanted the surgery in January, but I believe in the divine order of things. Things got held up until my primary doctor returned from vacay because the Bari center didn't accept her clearance statement, so she had to redo it. By the time the Bari center was able to catch up with me (late January), I decided to wait until March until my sis could get here and I wasn't trying to have surgery during the retrograde.

As it turns out, the surgery will be 2 days before my birthday, as divinely ordered (at least in my mind anyway); it will be a renewal, a reset, a reorder to my life.

Nevermind my babbling... I plan to use this thread as my public journey all the way.

Mello1 and ALL MARCH pre-ops!. RIGHT there with you that it’s getting REAL😅!!!! My liquids begin in 4 days😳. Stocked up. Each meal I eat right now seems surreal, bittersweet, somewhat melancholy. I remind myself that it’s not the end- it’s the beginning of what will be Wonderful. Out with the old, in with the NEW appreciation of everything. So very grateful for our community here❤️, what would we do without it??? So many generous, knowledgeable, loving WLS veterans who have nurtured us along like ‘little chicks’☺️. We cannot Thank each of You enough!!💝

This morning I Amazon ordered a fairly cute black zip up lounging type dress to wear walking the halls and also easy enough to wear home from hospital. Two front pockets for phone, etc. so I’m not schlepping stuff I want near. Going to order a front closure sports bra. The less I need to bend, twist, raise arms, etc. the happier and more comfy I will be. Eager to hear more pre-op prep tips anyone can share! Thanks and let’s replace any negative fear thoughts with positively thrilling exhilaration that our long awaited time is near!😃

And Mello1, sending prayer and good vibes that your tooth/root canal journey is not too painful and comes out even better than new🌟🥰!

2 hours ago, Lily66 said:

Mello1 and ALL MARCH pre-ops!. RIGHT there with you that it’s getting REAL😅!!!! My liquids begin in 4 days😳. Stocked up. Each meal I eat right now seems surreal, bittersweet, somewhat melancholy. I remind myself that it’s not the end- it’s the beginning of what will be Wonderful. Out with the old, in with the NEW appreciation of everything. So very grateful for our community here❤️, what would we do without it??? So many generous, knowledgeable, loving WLS veterans who have nurtured us along like ‘little chicks’☺️. We cannot Thank each of You enough!!💝

This morning I Amazon ordered a fairly cute black zip up lounging type dress to wear walking the halls and also easy enough to wear home from hospital. Two front pockets for phone, etc. so I’m not schlepping stuff I want near. Going to order a front closure sports bra. The less I need to bend, twist, raise arms, etc. the happier and more comfy I will be. Eager to hear more pre-op prep tips anyone can share! Thanks and let’s replace any negative fear thoughts with positively thrilling exhilaration that our long awaited time is near!😃

Ummm… that's a good idea! I was thinking about what to wear to the hospital, what's easy to get in and out of... the bra thing is definitely an issue for me because I have big girls to deal with and I have to snap into my bra and then twist it around.... hmmmm… may not be a good idea post op.

I do have a front zip up sports bra …. I'm going to dig that out. I will likely be in my sweat pants and I will take my hoodie jacket. It will still be cold here, but I'm hoping for no late snow storms... this winter has been very unpredictable….

2 hours ago, Lily66 said:

And Mello1, sending prayer and good vibes that your tooth/root canal journey is not too painful and comes out even better than new🌟🥰!

Aw thanks!

On 2/5/2020 at 5:11 PM, heavenlyscrts said:

March 24th here. Insurance has been approved. All test done. Just waiting for my day.

My surgery is also March 24th!

2 hours ago, Mello1 said:

Ummm… that's a good idea! I was thinking about what to wear to the hospital, what's easy to get in and out of... the bra thing is definitely an issue for me because I have big girls to deal with and I have to snap into my bra and then twist it around.... hmmmm… may not be a good idea post op.

I do have a front zip up sports bra …. I'm going to dig that out. I will likely be in my sweat pants and I will take my hoodie jacket. It will still be cold here, but I'm hoping for no late snow storms... this winter has been very unpredictable….

I was trying to think of what to pack to wear, probably leggings and my regular bra should be okay. I just want to be comfortable. I did order new slippers, because the ones I am wearing now look pretty rough.

I live in Ohio and I know we are supposed to get snow next week, but my surgery isn't scheduled until Mar 27th, so it will be hard to say what will be happening here then.

5 minutes ago, ayemeeb said:

I was trying to think of what to pack to wear, probably leggings and my regular bra should be okay. I just want to be comfortable. I did order new slippers, because the ones I am wearing now look pretty rough.

I live in Ohio and I know we are supposed to get snow next week, but my surgery isn't scheduled until Mar 27th, so it will be hard to say what will be happening here then.

Slippers. Another thing I hadn't really thought of. I kinda wish I was doing this during the warmer months so I can get outside and walk without having to layer up or wear boots. We've had a mild winter and last year when this happened, it stayed cold until June... ugh.