Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The biggest emotional rollercoaster with this surgery

Sorry for the long post but Omg what an emotional rollercoaster. So I finished all my pre op work and went to my pcp last week Friday. I was explaining to her that I was finally done with my 6 month nutritionist appointments and that I’m super excited, (I finished all my preop clearances in 1 week) My surgeon saw me the day before and gave me a surgery date of December 17! I thought my pcp would be excited since she was the one who referred me there and I’ve been giving her updates monthly but she gave her an entire 360. She seriously got her boss and after my labs were done, tried to convince me not to get the surgery. They seriously told me anything that can possibly go wrong, they told me surgeons only care about making money and then when the patient is sick they have to deal with the consequences. She admitted that she sent me there thinking he would just put me on a diet or hope that he would say I didn’t qualify. When she said that my heart shattered. Here I went to her thinking she would be thrilled and suddenly I felt attacked by both of them. I had to defend my reason for the surgery, her boss said had I gone to her she would never have referred me. She seriously said in her entire 20+ year career she has only referred 1 person. Wth?! How u tell me this 12 days before my surgery? I have been coming here monthly and have kept you in the loop on my progress. I told her from day one my surgeon said I qualified. What did she think that I was lying? She did give me a letter of support 2 weeks ago didnt she? she then said she didn’t think my insurance would qualify me because I only have asthma and Gerd and my BMI is 36. Honestly they killed my spirit. I was depressed all weekend but nonetheless this Monday I went to the hospital and did my preregistration. They told me everything looked good just waiting for Insurance to approve. When she said that I became more anxious. I waited until the next day and this past Tuesday I called my surgeons office. I asked if they had any update and I was told by my surgeons assistant that I was DENIED. My heart shattered again. I couldn’t understand how after so much work I put in I was denied. The surgeons assistant told me to give her until Thursday to have my surgeon call himself and try to get it overturned. Needless to say I had not slept since Tuesday. Well she just called me and told me I was approved! They did it!!! Omg I was so happy to hear this I cried. I’m usually lurking here but I posted this hoping to give at least one person hope. Don’t give up, even when those you expect to support you don’t. I was able to keep my surgery date Dec 17! My surgeons office submitted my insurance approval on Thursday, I called Tuesday and had a denial and 2 days later it was approved!

Good lord, what a rollercoaster and mentally draining!!! ((hugs))

I truly think the time leading up to the actual approval process was THE most gruelling time of all! The ups and downs. Sheesh!!

But what your PCP and clinic head did was pretty rank IMHO. I had docs who definitely have opinions and biases against WLS, but they aren't allowed to speak out without being invited and they all ultimately said it had to be my decision. But none of them gave me a lot of hope (except the bariatric surgeon and RD), that permanent weight loss was possible even with the surgery. Sorry you had to experience that and that it added to your emotional load!!!

Congrats on being approved!!!! Come here often and do your work and you will be successful!!!!

(Oh and btw? Not for one single moment have I regretted taking this action to reclaim my life. Not once.)

Edited by FluffyChix

Think about it logically - if you continue to be fat and have health problems then you make the doctor more money than a normal patient. Why would they want you to be healthy if their goal is money?

My PCP was the one who suggested I do all this in the first place and he's been very glad I did it.

Sorry for the long post but Omg what an emotional rollercoaster. So I finished all my pre op work and went to my pcp last week Friday. I was explaining to her that I was finally done with my 6 month nutritionist appointments and that I’m super excited, (I finished all my preop clearances in 1 week) My surgeon saw me the day before and gave me a surgery date of December 17! I thought my pcp would be excited since she was the one who referred me there and I’ve been giving her updates monthly but she gave her an entire 360. She seriously got her boss and after my labs were done, tried to convince me not to get the surgery. They seriously told me anything that can possibly go wrong, they told me surgeons only care about making money and then when the patient is sick they have to deal with the consequences. She admitted that she sent me there thinking he would just put me on a diet or hope that he would say I didn’t qualify. When she said that my heart shattered. Here I went to her thinking she would be thrilled and suddenly I felt attacked by both of them. I had to defend my reason for the surgery, her boss said had I gone to her she would never have referred me. She seriously said in her entire 20+ year career she has only referred 1 person. Wth?! How u tell me this 12 days before my surgery? I have been coming here monthly and have kept you in the loop on my progress. I told her from day one my surgeon said I qualified. What did she think that I was lying? She did give me a letter of support 2 weeks ago didnt she? she then said she didn’t think my insurance would qualify me because I only have asthma and Gerd and my BMI is 36. Honestly they killed my spirit. I was depressed all weekend but nonetheless this Monday I went to the hospital and did my preregistration. They told me everything looked good just waiting for Insurance to approve. When she said that I became more anxious. I waited until the next day and this past Tuesday I called my surgeons office. I asked if they had any update and I was told by my surgeons assistant that I was DENIED. My heart shattered again. I couldn’t understand how after so much work I put in I was denied. The surgeons assistant told me to give her until Thursday to have my surgeon call himself and try to get it overturned. Needless to say I had not slept since Tuesday. Well she just called me and told me I was approved! They did it!!! Omg I was so happy to hear this I cried. I’m usually lurking here but I posted this hoping to give at least one person hope. Don’t give up, even when those you expect to support you don’t. I was able to keep my surgery date Dec 17! My surgeons office submitted my insurance approval on Thursday, I called Tuesday and had a denial and 2 days later it was approved!

That is truly amazing thank God you got the approval my surgery date is the 17th I'm so nervous did u have to do a liquid diet? ?

Sent from my SM-A205U using BariatricPal mobile app

29 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Good lord, what a rollercoaster and mentally draining!!! ((hugs))

I truly think the time leading up to the actual approval process was THE most gruelling time of all! The ups and downs. Sheesh!!

But what your PCP and clinic head did was pretty rank IMHO. I had docs who definitely have opinions and biases against WLS, but they aren't allowed to speak out without being invited and they all ultimately said it had to be my decision. But none of them gave me a lot of hope (except the bariatric surgeon and RD), that permanent weight loss was possible even with the surgery. Sorry you had to experience that and that it added to your emotional load!!!

Congrats on being approved!!!! Come here often and do your work and you will be successful!!!!

(Oh and btw? Not for one single moment have I regretted taking this action to reclaim my life. Not once.)

Thank you so much for your kind words. I’m just glad this is behind me. Now I’m looking forward to my surgery on Tuesday. ❤️❤️❤️

5 minutes ago, lesleymack2019 said:

That is truly amazing thank God you got the approval my surgery date is the 17th I'm so nervous did u have to do a liquid diet? ?

Sent from my SM-A205U using BariatricPal mobile app

Amen! I’m so thankful to God! He heard my prayers 🙏🏼❤️
since I just got my surgery date last week Thursday he told me to start my liver shrinking diet then. He gave me 12 days to lose some weight. I asked him how much but he didn’t specify. I lost 5 pounds since Thursday. My diet consists of 2 Protein Shakes and a small meal a day. I do liquid diet for 2 days before the surgery.
what kind of diet are you doing? And for how long?

Wow! It sounds like you went through a whole wave of crap just to be able to keep your date. Im sorry that happened to you but Im also happy you are now approved! I cant imagine having doctors supporting you one moment and the next flat out tell you what your doing is wrong. I was always against this surgery from day one of becoming obese. The only reason why I did it was because I noticed I wasnt losing on my own, my weight just kept going up, and my family started getting concerned as well as my pcp. I should have done it years ago but my stubborn a** wanted to lose the "natural" way.

Reading your story has made me grateful for my team of doctors and everyone else who gave me information on the surgery to help me make the decision on my own.

14 minutes ago, Soon2bSleeved12/2019 said:

Oh my gosh!! I really felt for you when I read your post . What a nightmare ! It’s hard enough to make the decision to have this surgery as it is, without all that stress . I’m glad you finally got it approved, and will be thinking of you on 17th. I wish you all the very best on journey l

1 hour ago, PEGGO said:

Oh my gosh!! I really felt for you when I read your post . What a nightmare ! It’s hard enough to make the decision to have this surgery as it is, without all that stress . I’m glad you finally got it approved, and will be thinking of you on 17th. I wish you all the very best on journey l

Thank you so much ❤️

Best of luck on Tuesday! Sometimes I think the challenges make you appreciate things more. I was so mad I had to wait six months for my surgery but in the end, it was just what I needed gave me time to learn and really understand and appreciate the process. Congrats to you 💚

WOW, that's an unexpected turn of events !

Atleast NOW you know who is and is not on your side when it comes to WLS

You'll do Amazing and be an example of a model patient

💚CONGRATULATIONS💚

Edited by GreenTealael

I'm sorry you had to go though that mess! My PCP is less than supportive as well and has done as much as he can think of to get around me having this surgery. I'm hoping to have surgery in January... Good Luck!!!!

43 minutes ago, Kcgarzone89 said:

I'm sorry you had to go though that mess! My PCP is less than supportive as well and has done as much as he can think of to get around me having this surgery. I'm hoping to have surgery in January... Good Luck!!!!

Thank you. Good luck to you as well. Sending positive thoughts prayers your way. ❤️