Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Menus for Maintenance

Okay so I’m gonna promote IF again

whenever I’ve had a bad few days and I feel myself climbing onto the carb roller coaster ride from hell, I fast for 14-16 hours and within a day I’m back

Ok, bummer that I didn't stick the 129.4lb landing this morning. I was so close! LOL. This morning I'm at ticker weight 130.4lbs which is a great place to start my usual TCB M-Th regimen. It's gonna be an interesting week with NYE and NYD. Traditionally these are HUGE party days for my family with big meals and lots o' wine & Irish whiskey. Am going to figure it out though. I know I can make a bunch of swap outs with an Eat This Instead of That attitude along with asking myself if XYZ is worth the scale bounce the following morning! So today is IF until lunch for a 16:8 with PP in the morning. Some say that isn't really fasting...but my whole day is very low low cal for an ADF approach. And many docs say as long as you stay below a certain caloric threshold that it really doesn't matter if you eat those cals all at once or spaced through the day.

Yesterday, Sunday, Dec. 29
Maintenance : 5'4" / 22mo PO RNY / 130.4 lbs

----------------------------------------
I continue to approach NY at the bottom of my weight window. First year evs. As in EVS! I'm very proud of myself. And it wasn't even that difficult--just took making a handful of small changes. #barihealthylife #winningwls #imbacnow #bacrules

B1-Protein Latte x 1 (1oz PP)

B2- 7/8 Salmon Breakfast Taco (lchf) with avocado + 1.5oz power greens + 1/4c radish hashbrowns

L- remaining breakfast taco

AS-apple yogurt cottage cheese with cinnamon

D-Big Ass blackened salmon salad (2oz salmon, 1/2oz rf feta, 14g baby arugula, 10g cabbage, 1oz romaine, 10g po, 14g rbp, 36g cucs, 6g pumpkin seeds, 2tbsp WF Italian Dressing

BS-1 square LoLo Cheesecake with whipped cream and 1/2oz blackberries

Daily Totals: 994cals; 70g protein; 59g fat; 56g carbs; 20g fiber; 36g net carbs

Yesterday, Sunday, Dec. 29
Maintenance : 5'2" / 1yr PO Sleeve / ??? lbs (last weigh in 115.0 lbs on Dec 18th)

* TMI Alert *
Now that the Constipation has passed, I sort of have the opposite issue now. I pooped
THREE TIMES yesterday. Not diarrhea poops, but the good S-shaped poops that come out nicely. And not just little S's, I'm talking long-ish snake-like poops. THREE TIMES. I was pretty hungry yesterday I think as a result...

1:00pm - salad w/ vinaigrette + cucumber + 1 grilled shrimp + 1 oz grilled octopus + 4 oz grilled pork chop + 1/4 cup full fat milk

3:30pm - 1 oz beef Jerky + 2 french macarons

5:00pm - salad w/ vinaigrette + cucumber + carrots + 1/2 avocado + 1oz cheddar + 1 oz almonds + 3 oz grilled pork chop

7:00pm - 1/2 cup greek yogurt + 1 oz blueberries + 1/2 oz almonds + 1 tsp chia seeds + 1 oz beef jerky + 2 Lindt Lindor chocolate Truffles

10:00pm - salad w/ vinaigrette + 1 grilled shrimp + 1/2 oz grilled squid + 1.5 oz bbq pork + 1/2 oz roast beef

Totals: 1706 cals - 114g Protein - 85g NET carbs - 95g fat

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Some say that isn't really fasting...but my whole day is very low low cal for an ADF approach. And many docs say as long as you stay below a certain caloric threshold that it really doesn't matter if you eat those cals all at once or spaced through the day.

You know, I've done the reading about the benefits of IF and all that, and in terms weight management, I have read the many success stories of others that have implemented it in some form or another and I have even noticed increased rate of weight loss when I do it.

Overall though, I also subscribe to the idea that IF speeds up weight loss because at the end of the day, you just end up eating less calories. Less calories = weight loss.

I don't eat breakfast in the traditional sense. My first meal of the day is generally after noon. Unless I'm on vacation or if I have brunch plans. Now on those days that I do eat before noon, I notice I still eat the same amount for the rest of the day as if it were a normal non-breakfast day. So more calories = weight maintain or gain.

I know there are other aspects of the IF methodologies, but in essence, in terms of weight loss, I think the old adage holds true: Eat less calories than your body burns and you will lose weight.

Disclaimer: I also know that the above statement is not held up by some, and I respect that.

17 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

You know, I've done the reading about the benefits of IF and all that, and in terms weight management, I have read the many success stories of others that have implemented it in some form or another and I have even noticed increased rate of weight loss when I do it.

Overall though, I also subscribe to the idea that IF speeds up weight loss because at the end of the day, you just end up eating less calories. Less calories = weight loss.

I don't eat Breakfast in the traditional sense. My first meal of the day is generally after noon. Unless I'm on vacation or if I have brunch plans. Now on those days that I do eat before noon, I notice I still eat the same amount for the rest of the day as if it were a normal non-breakfast day. So more calories = weight maintain or gain.

I know there are other aspects of the IF methodologies, but in essence, in terms of weight loss, I think the old adage holds true: Eat less calories than your body burns and you will lose weight.

Disclaimer: I also know that the above statement is not held up by some, and I respect that.

I think it's not quite as straight forward as CICO and if you eat less than you need, you burn fat.

But one of the reasons IF and ADF are so popular is that it can allow you to lose weight without having as large of a metabolic drop as straight up calorie restricting. If you calorie restrict for long in a normal anatomy, you get a metabolic slowdown in as quick as 72 hours and that can be from 10-15%. Which is partly why yo-yo dieting and regain happens. To some extent, the studies show that WLS protects us a little bit from this metabolic **** storm...

But ADF with caloric restriction like I do can be used to either maintain or lose weight. I use it now for maintenance. At the end of the week, it's still an average calorie base...from high and low days divided by the days of the week. It allows me to do lean days (where I hope some autophagy happens), along with feast days. So I'm not stuck only eating 1000-1100cals each and every day. This way I get a few days (2-4) at low: 500-800 cals and 2-3 high days (1500-2000) and I'm not gaining and not really losing very much. So I feel like my metabolism might be recovering a bit? Cuz before I was stuck gaining at anything over about 900! :)

But one thing I am noticing is that I'm leaning out. So fat is being replaced with muscle. Which is what we all want, right? :D

I didn't know I was, cuz the scale wasn't budging, but then I took nekkidy photos at the PS and you could clearly see the diff from the last 6 months between photos. Very clear difference and loss of body fat %. So yeah, IF and ADF are really good about being a muscle sparing type of weight loss.

The way you are doing IF is the way Dr. Fung suggests. In maintenance he wants you to eat in an abbreviated window with the same amount of cals/macros as normal.

Yeah, I know what I stated was a very simplified assessment, and everyone is different, I get that too.

Maybe I should have prefaced it with "As it pertains to me..." ;)

I am probably the average person whose metabolism is not so very disordered. Calories in and out affects me pretty straight-forwardly.

Edited to add: ...or maybe i am not average and am actually outlier...I dunno?

Edited to add #2: While I don't eat before noon, I do often eat up until and beyond midnight....

Edited to add #3: I also have a relatively low body fat percentage so that is also a contributing factor...?

Edited by ms.sss

28 months PO / 5'2" / CW 176
Sun dec 29
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I really struggled yesterday. But in the end I thankfully stuck my ground.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Breakfast: coffee and milk / mozzarella cheese

Lunch: lavish roll with eggs and spinach

Snack: pastrami cold cuts

Dinner: ground beef with broccoli / dill pickle

Snack: coffee with milk / almond flour cookie
Totals- 1403 cals / 110g Protein / 40g net carbs / 85g carbs
After all information out there on macronutrients and calories started to really confuse me, I spoke to my dr. Basically bottom line is (what she told me) there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to nutrition. I will be starting a thread to explain more in detail what we discussed.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

33 minutes ago, chayarg said:

I really struggled yesterday. But in the end I thankfully stuck my ground.

Wooohoooo!!! Look at you!!! WTG and way to stick the landing hon!!!!

18 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Okay so I’m gonna promote IF again

whenever I’ve had a bad few days and I feel myself climbing onto the carb roller coaster ride from hell, I fast for 14-16 hours and within a day I’m back

Needed to hear this. I'm thinking right now, with DH off work for the holidays and me just getting back to the gym I am going to first focus on eating the right things, and then get on IF again. But maybe that's backwards? You seem to be saying that eating right is easier while doing IF?

4 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I don't eat Breakfast in the traditional sense. My first meal of the day is generally after noon. Unless I'm on vacation or if I have brunch plans. Now on those days that I do eat before noon, I notice I still eat the same amount for the rest of the day as if it were a normal non-breakfast day. So more calories = weight maintain or gain.

yeah, there have been studies that show that eating the same number of calories all day long, versus in a shorter period of time, has different results. So 2K calories eaten over 16 hours versus over 8 hours caused gain vs loss. Something about triggering cortisol too often, causing the body to constantly want to store fat versus burn fat. So if eating extra calories but with a good metabolism the body reacts by raising metabolic rate to burn the excess. If eating extra calories with a metabolism stuck in fat storage mode it shuffles those calories into the fat cells. In fact, if in that mode it will do so even with fewer calories - by adjusting metabolic rate downward while simultaneously increasing hunger signals.

Ok, so fairly new here - or rather, it's been years since I was here :)

Working on a regain - not going to get into politics but my past combined with some stuff in the news created some trauma I was dealing with that I ate my way through, and then I also am in my third year of Seasonal Affective Disorder which, along with the mood issues, makes me crave carbs (known symptom). And on top of all that I hurt my SI joint and the muscle relaxers they prescribed gave me the munchies big time! Took me a while to realize what the issue was, and then I stopped taking them unless it was as I got into bed, but by that point it was like my body was trained to want food in the evenings (when I took them). Still working to break that. I can be good all day but in the evening I want to EAT ALL THE THINGS. I do think sleep deprivation is a huge part of that and the SAD messes with my circadian rhythm and gives me insomnia. Working on that and I think it will help. (I looked back at my fitbit dat and I'd gotten 8 hours of sleep once in the past 4 months that I looked at. Most days were 6 hours or less. Oops.)

So, all that explained, I'm ready to stop making excuses and fix this! I did NOT go through that liquid diet and all the emotional roller coasters of hormone release after surgery just to gain it all back. I was not a fast loser - never hit goal - so I can't afford to go up! I even rejoined the gym yesterday, which by the time I pay for that plus kids club for 3 kids is not cheap - but I need to be serious and make this a priority.

High weight was 220, low weight (shortly after starting ADHD meds that lower appetite, lol) was 143 I think. Average for the past few years was 248-152,which put me at a BMI of 29. But now I'm up to 162 and that puts me back at 30, which is obese. Nope, not doing obese again! Plus I was in great shape when I was pregnant with my 4th kid - doing Zumba class at 9 months pregnant - and now I'm this weak, out of shape person with a bad back, lol. Not okay. And all the weight I gained was in my belly, so it is just super obvious and makes finding pants hard.

Initial goal is to get back down out of the obese category. Then to get back into my size 10 clothes instead of the 12s. I want to get down to 145 again, and would LOVE to get into the 130s.

Challenge is night time eating.

Yesterday:

Exercise: 10 minute warm up on treadmill, lower body workout with machines, crunches and leg lifts on the mat, 5 minute cool down on elliptical. Did 15 minutes in the sauna to help SAD symptoms hopefully.

B - coffee with half and half and splenda, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup sautéed peppers/onions

snack - latte made with 1 cup fat free fair life milk and 2 shots espresso

L - 2 oz roast beef deli meat, handful or so of spinach, .25 oz feta cheese, light blue cheese dressing, .25 oz peanuts, 4 gluten free pretzel chips

S - 1 slice swiss cheese, .25 oz peanuts, coffee with half and half and splenda

D - 3 oz shredded chicken, 1/2 cup roasted veggie blend, 4 oz baked potato, 1 tsp butter, 1 tsp olive oil, sugar free Jello cup (I ate this over the course of the evening - got full, cleaned up the kitchen, then finished it)

S - sugar free pudding, Decaf Cappuccino made with 3/4 cup skim fair life milk, .25 oz honey roasted peanuts, 10 gluten free pretzel crisps.

Was feeling good about all that! Then stayed up too late and ate a bunch more of those pretzel crisps. Then woke up at 1:30am by the dog laying on the TV remote and turning the TV on and off over and over again, and ate a Luna Bar and a cookie and some tortilla chips before going back to bed.

ugh. Trying to find will power at 2am is hard.

I've attached my MFP stats for yesterday, but that was before the middle of the night eating. I hate adding that in there - but I guess I'll put it on today's page since it was after midnight.

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 3.04.42 PM.png

Edited by Katie Loesch-Meyer

27 minutes ago, Katie Loesch-Meyer said:

Needed to hear this. I'm thinking right now, with DH off work for the holidays and me just getting back to the gym I am going to first focus on eating the right things, and then get on IF again. But maybe that's backwards? You seem to be saying that eating right is easier while doing IF?

yeah, there have been studies that show that eating the same number of calories all day long, versus in a shorter period of time, has different results. So 2K calories eaten over 16 hours versus over 8 hours caused gain vs loss. Something about triggering cortisol too often, causing the body to constantly want to store fat versus burn fat. So if eating extra calories but with a good metabolism the body reacts by raising metabolic rate to burn the excess. If eating extra calories with a metabolism stuck in fat storage mode it shuffles those calories into the fat cells. In fact, if in that mode it will do so even with fewer calories - by adjusting metabolic rate downward while simultaneously increasing hunger signals.

It also has to do with insulin release. Insulin drives calories into fat storage. Low insulin levels allow fat breakdown. Eating for fewer hours during the day, and eating less frequently (ie: 3 meals with no snacks) makes for lower insulin levels, and therefore more fat breakdown. Every time we eat, we get an insulin surge (of course, really big ones with simple carbs), and the insulin will stop the process of fat breakdown. 6 small meals a day is not a good way to actually lose weight.

27 minutes ago, Katie Loesch-Meyer said:

My opinion is you take baby steps back into compliance especially if you've been on the rails for any length of time. Cuz if you fall, then the beatings seem to be much bigger and it sets up a touch cycle of "try-fall-beating-lower mood" rinse and repeat.

Make the most important change first. (ie breaking up with the worst food of abuse at the RIGHT time--I wouldn't do it until after NYD), then observe what you are eating. Figure out all the non-essentials. Clean pantry and fridge. Bring in healthy choices. Get an action plan. And then implement the action plan. Once you have 2-3 weeks of wins under your belt, then go into IF.

Unless you have Iron balls...then you know...doooo eeet! LOL.

13 minutes ago, Katie Loesch-Meyer said:

Challenge is night time eating.

Yep, night time eating is a challenge for many to get over, I am hungrier (or maybe "cravier" is a better word) at night than I am in the mornings.

Easier said, I know, but I generally ask myself if I really want it, and if after 1/2 an hour and something to drink I still want it, then fine, I'll have it. The wait and drink strategy works for me about 80% of the time. Which is good enough.

Is not keeping stuff like that in your house an option? You mentioned you had 3 kids, so maybe not...

2 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I am hungrier (or maybe "cravier" is a better word) at night than I am in the mornings.

Ditto! Big Ditto.

Ok, breaking news...

I'm back to defending my 129.4lbs :) Don't ask how... #snort