Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here!!! 8 years out!!!

Hi everyone, I’m new here. My journey began July 25th 2011. I went in to have a sleeve at 250lbs. 7 months later I left the hospital for good with a gastric bypass. From my original surgery my stomach swelled shut, and started growing together. I had to have a peg tube inserted to get nutrients. I had multiple infections, a pulmonary embolism. Finally the surgeons decided a gastric bypass was what would correct my body. Finally had the gastric bypass, and went home feeling so much better. I went home eating solid foods already. About 2 months later I had a bowel rupture, and after more infections and 2 more surgeries, one removing my gallbladder, I was finally released from the hospital for the last time. I got down to an unhealthy 130, my BMI was now to low. So I started on the mission of trying to gain weight. Well that got out of control and got up to 190. By that time I could no longer see my surgeon because my husband was no longer in the Army, and you can’t see a military doctor on civilian insurance. About 4 years ago I started having either severe Constipation or severe diarrhea. I started seeing a gastroenterologist, who didn’t understand my surgeries, and just told me to deal with it. I had to have an Iron infusion, once again dealing with another doctor that didn’t understand my body post RNY. About 6 months ago I decided enough was enough and wanted to be healthy again, my original goal in all this. It was time for control back in my life. I started eating correctly again, and am now down to a healthy 147. I decided to finally go see a bariatric surgeon to get my life back on track. While searching for a good one to go see (I live in a rural area, and knew traveling was the only answer) I found out my original surgeon now runs a bariatric clinic in Albuquerque about 5 hours from me. I called to see if I could see him. Not even an hour after I made that call his nurse called me back saying her remembered me and my case well and wanted to see me. I saw him 2 weeks ago. He put me back on a good bariatric multi Vitamin, the correct iron my body will absorb, and psyllium husk, because he knew exactly what was causing my constipation issues. It’s been a long road, and I’m back feeling healthy and happy again. I’ve been needing to get back to people of my own, and know now I need the support of those who understand this journey and become active in these groups again. Sorry for the long post. It’s been a long road.

Wow, what a hard journey!!! ((hugs)) Huge props and congrats for your success and courage in dealing with these complications! So glad you have ongoing care from a good doc and you have a plan for the future!

Welcome to the boards. Post often!!! Can you share what he said about "knowing" what you needed to combat the spastic action of your bowels and why he felt psyllium was the cure? TY!!! (selfishly motivated) :)

Hi everyone, I’m new here. My journey began July 25th 2011. I went in to have a sleeve at 250lbs. 7 months later I left the hospital for good with a gastric bypass. From my original surgery my stomach swelled shut, and started growing together. I had to have a peg tube inserted to get nutrients. I had multiple infections, a pulmonary embolism. Finally the surgeons decided a gastric bypass was what would correct my body. Finally had the gastric bypass, and went home feeling so much better. I went home eating solid foods already. About 2 months later I had a bowel rupture, and after more infections and 2 more surgeries, one removing my gallbladder, I was finally released from the hospital for the last time. I got down to an unhealthy 130, my BMI was now to low. So I started on the mission of trying to gain weight. Well that got out of control and got up to 190. By that time I could no longer see my surgeon because my husband was no longer in the Army, and you can’t see a military doctor on civilian insurance. About 4 years ago I started having either severe Constipation or severe diarrhea. I started seeing a gastroenterologist, who didn’t understand my surgeries, and just told me to deal with it. I had to have an Iron infusion, once again dealing with another doctor that didn’t understand my body post RNY. About 6 months ago I decided enough was enough and wanted to be healthy again, my original goal in all this. It was time for control back in my life. I started eating correctly again, and am now down to a healthy 147. I decided to finally go see a bariatric surgeon to get my life back on track. While searching for a good one to go see (I live in a rural area, and knew traveling was the only answer) I found out my original surgeon now runs a bariatric clinic in Albuquerque about 5 hours from me. I called to see if I could see him. Not even an hour after I made that call his nurse called me back saying her remembered me and my case well and wanted to see me. I saw him 2 weeks ago. He put me back on a good bariatric multi Vitamin, the correct Iron my body will absorb, and psyllium husk, because he knew exactly what was causing my constipation issues. It’s been a long road, and I’m back feeling healthy and happy again. I’ve been needing to get back to people of my own, and know now I need the support of those who understand this journey and become active in these groups again. Sorry for the long post. It’s been a long road.
Wow scary I'm glad you're okay now

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

FluffyChix, he said I may be eating my veggies, but between the Protein I eat, I just don’t get enough Fiber. The protein in itself can cause this. He said the psyllium is high fiber, that my body will digest. It has had a great impact just in 2 weeks of taking 25MG a day. I mix it in Trop 50 and my daily Protein Shakes. Thank you for the great welcome.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you here to share your experiences with us.

WELCOME! Your experience will definitely help others going through similarities.

3 hours ago, KaysMommy said:

enough was enough, wanted to be healthy again, control back in my life. - started eating

correctly need the support of those who understand this journey

@KaysMommy

Welcome, welcome, welcome - you've come to the right place for help, info, and support!

what a story. you have been through sooooo much, you have come out on the other side, head held

high. you stayed in the hospital for 7 months PO?? OMG - infections, more surgeries.

your great tale shows/tells after achieving goal, gaining weight back, ANYONE can get back on track.

congrats on achieving goal again. 🤗

good luck

kathy

3 hours ago, KaysMommy said:

original surgeon now runs a bariatric clinic in Albuquerque about 5 hours from me.

@KaysMommy

that's great that you "ran" into your doc. It's worth a five hr drive to see a good dr.

the fact that their nurse remembered you, and called you back so quickly, says a lot

about their office.

glad things are improving☺️

kathy

Welcome to the group & to taking back your healthy life!