Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating with the family post surgery.

I'm 3.5 months post-surgery and really sticking with my diet and have had amazing success with weight loss. I have found sticking to the same foods and times to work for me. The problem is that my wife and son have started to complain that I have messed up their meals and meal planning. They want me to go out to eat with them and either share something or just sit there with them. I have no interest in doing this, as what I doing is working for me. Are there meals that you prepare that can be shared with family and stay our your post-op diet?

10 hours ago, Beatsalad said:

I'm 3.5 months post-surgery and really sticking with my diet and have had amazing success with weight loss. I have found sticking to the same foods and times to work for me. The problem is that my wife and son have started to complain that I have messed up their meals and meal planning. They want me to go out to eat with them and either share something or just sit there with them. I have no interest in doing this, as what I doing is working for me. Are there meals that you prepare that can be shared with family and stay our your post-op diet?

Meals ideas with the family. Protein and vegetables are my safe bet. You can add items on your plan. Your family can eat the extra carbs and sugar. (My husband knows what foods to hide or keep out of the house lol)

My examples: I also eat this way in restaurants – I can opt the extra carbs/sugar for other items – (make sure my examples fit your plan)

chicken fajitas no tortilla any other items allowed on your plan- Let the family have tortillas

Grilled salmon, garlic roasted riced cauliflower and any other items on your plan - let the family have garlic bread, corn or potato and pie.

Hamburger patty (turkey or veggie burger if you like) Lettuce wrap or salad style no bun – let the family have the bun

Pork loin - roasted/grilled vegetables let the family have their items

Stir fry no rice – let the family have rice

eggs or omelet jimmy dean turkey sausage– any other items on your plan let the family have toast.

11 hours ago, Beatsalad said:

I've also eaten with family & friends early out. I would either pick a meal that was in line with my new lifestyle and (force them to eat it with me 😂) share with them or simply drink instead of eating if I couldn't find anything. I had a lot of lettuce wrapped veggie or turkey burgers, epic salads or vegetable soups/turkey chili

(Occasionally I only ordered dessert still sharing it with others, but thats a radical idea & not for everyone)

Further out it became a lot easier because I was fully practiced in my new lifestyle. I ordered items that were Protein forward and added sides I knew others would enjoy. I almost never finished my food alone because I either couldn't or planned to shared it all along.

If you plan to change your mind and go out with your family for meals occasionally, plan ahead so you don't feel lost/off plan/out of control. Plenty of places are now offering low carb alternatives/lighter fare/small plates

Good Luck 💜

It sounds like either you need to try and find some things you can have while you're out or your family needs to be a bit more understanding of what your nutrition requirements are, not judging. I imagine if you can't go out with them it's because they are going to places that have absolutely no options for you. I'm curious what the normal meal planning used to be or what the rest of your family is used to eating that is now "messed up"

For home meals, focus on the basics, Protein, veggies, limited starches. If the meals are full of processed, quick-heat foods, you're going to have a bad time if everyone doesn't change. You Tube and Pinterest are a wealth of information preparing both nutritious and great tasting food.

You will get tired eating the same things at the same time, the options are virtually limitless. If they absolutely must have these things and don't want to change, you can still go with them, just be prepared ahead of time. Visit the restaurant's website and find things you can have like Soups, salads, meals (without the bun), etc.

Good luck with your planning

You can definitely encourage your family to eat better options. Also restaurants offer healthy options :) just ask the waiters

My advice is make a Protein and veggies you can eat. Then I make sure to have a starch added to the meal, one you don’t eat. It’s helped that with my meat and potatoes husband he will be happy, and my 10 year old still gets her veggies. Sometimes they want pizza, or other stuff I can’t eat. I keep single turkey burgers, or chicken breasts that are easy to thaw so sometimes we just have 2 different things on the table. When we eat out I can order just a piece of grilled chicken, or the sandwich without the bread. Restaurants are very accommodating, and never look at me funny for ordering like that. Mexican is easy, a side of shredded chicken with chilie on top. Good luck.