Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK guys maybe I’m just pessimistic (I stress maybe) but am I the only one who has found this surgery to be a complete B*TCH?!

On 6/28/2019 at 9:23 AM, catwoman7 said:

like the above poster, I had very little pain. Although people are all across the board on this, it seems like most have little if any pain - so sorry you're one of the unlucky ones. My plastic surgery was MUCH more painful than my RNY was (and a much tougher recovery - yikes!!)

Yes! After trying full body Lipo as a means of weight loss, waking up from a sleeve was a piece of cake... At least that was my experience. If this is your first surgery of course you’re not going to have a basis of comparison. But based on the plastic surgeries I had done previously - this one was not too bad. My real issue was the weeks after it, adjusting to the new diet, barely eating, feeling like crap for a while. But the actual surgery not so bad.

I think I would’ve been a little uncomfortable waking up in a semi private room with another person right next to me. I guess I should count my blessings and I had a private room. That sounds really uncomfortable.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:14 AM, GreenTealael said:

It sounds like your pain (and tge guy next ti you) was not managed well, sorry

💜Good Luck and speedy healing 💜

Goodness gracious

my spelling/grammar & spell check sold me out 😂

I was given a morph pump the whole first day post op. My surgeon was great as was the hospital stay.

I was in a horrible amount of pain after surgery. I had so many people tell me that c sections are worse but my sleeve was worse than either of my two c sections. I could barely drink after surgery (later found out it was reflux)

My doctor operated on another lady the same day who I had been in the pre op nursing class with. I knew from the class she had bypass. She was in the room next to be and I heard the nurses offering her broth and popsicles and congratulating her for getting her Water down so she obviously did better than I did.

I was off pain meds 4 days post op so obviously it was short lived pain.

I had terrible gas pain in my chest and shoulder area. That part I was prepared for. It was the immediate regret of doing it that I wasn’t expecting. I hate that I have done this to myself.

Well this sounds terrifying. I had my gall bladder out almost 20 years ago and I don’t remember pain at all. I remember being sore, but no actual pain. The anesthesia made me throw up. But other then that I was up and walking around like an hour after surgery. I pray that means this will go as smoothly.

4 minutes ago, AnnieD78 said:

Well this sounds terrifying. I had my gall bladder out almost 20 years ago and I don’t remember pain at all. I remember being sore, but no actual pain. The anesthesia made me throw up. But other then that I was up and walking around like an hour after surgery. I pray that means this will go as smoothly.

Don’t be terrified. I also had a lot of pain when I woke up. Reason being that I cant take morephine because it makes me sick. I requested dilaudid well in advance. Once my surgery was over, they didn’t have dilaudid on the floor so I had to wait for it to be sent up from the pharmacy. Once they gave me the dilaudid I really had no pain from there on out.

If you are unlucky enough to actually have pain post op, it won’t last very long. It will end up being well worth it in the end.

I didn’t have a bit of pain with my gallbladder either.

I have been living with pain for months due to a bad hip. We’ll see how a new pain feels.

Sorry you experienced so much pain, your surgery team did not manage it correctly. I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time so swallowing was a bit tough. But they gave me this 1000mg OFIRMEV Tylenol IV med and I did not believe it would have worked that well, but it did plus a couple dilaudid doses and that was it. Took gabepentin home and did not use it.

My knee replacement surgery 10 years ago - I cried in my sleep for 6 months and was on hydrocodone the whole time and it was pure misery - but I can dance up a storm.

All we can offer is that it does get better, and you will recover. Hang in there the best is coming.

Healthy-Life2: I had the lapband put in about 10
Yrs ago, and I know the gas pains were tough for awhile, since they had to inflate your insides to operate. That went away pretty quickly. Sounds like they did not give you enough pain meds. Also, you were eating food 5 days after surgery? I think I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks. No wonder you were vomiting. The first few weeks are not great, but I slept as much as possible. I was exhausted. Unfortunately, I had to have my band removed ten yrs later (scar tissue grew over the port.) I am going back in for gastric bypass. Wish me luck.

I woke up screaming after surgery. The nurse promptly gave me fentanyl. After a day with strong meds in the hospital and a few days worth at home I was way better. But I can relate to the initial pain. I’m in week 6 now and it’s way better. Hang in there!

It is amazing how different everyone’s pain experience is. I firmly believe surgeon skill is a huge factor in this and of course premedicating and medicating appropriately during surgery (anesthesiologist). I just hope everyone’s pain was treated quickly and relieved.

I was fortunate to have zero pain after my bypass. I was never given opioids and stopped all the Tylenol and neurontin the next day. I see all the people put on morphine pumps for these surgeries and thank my lucky stars.

On 6/28/2019 at 6:36 AM, HopefulonLI said:

First off, waking up from surgery was legitimately one of the most painful experiences of my life. There was a grown man next to me, also waking up from his surgery (same type) crying from the pain. This has been an awful experience and I’m trying to understand why it isn’t highlighted to a patient before they actually go through with the whole process. I’m now on day 5 (hallelujah) and the gas pain (and holding down food without vomiting) is still there and it sucks. If I had known what I was truly about to get myself into, I wouldn’t have done this. I literally woke up from surgery in such extreme pain that I screamed out “are u Fing kidding me?!?!”. I know better days are ahead but can someone also agree with me that this is NOT pleasant? Or is it just me? Everyone seems so “woohoo” about this and I’m More like “wth?!”

It's not just you. My surgeon is GREAT but I'm admittedly not good with pain in general. I woke up kind of miserable too. I was given liquid oxycodone my first few hours which did nothing so they gave me Dilaudid the rest of my 2 day stay. Dilaudid was awesome when it wasn't wearing of.

Day 3 was rough (1st day home), Day 4 was better and so on.

Edited by TheJuice202

I am 4 days post my surgery and yes, I too experienced extreme pain as soon as I woke up in the recovery room. I was telling PAIN to anyone passing by me. It got much better the next day and painkillers through out. The worst I am currently experiencing is the gas pain that's in my left shoulder, neck and back. They told me to keep walking and it should go away but it didn't. Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G975F using BariatricPal mobile app