Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how often did you feel buyers remorse having the surgery



Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Biddy zz 🏳️🌈 said:

How’s it all going @johnedwinand @BlueAngelEyes??

Hi Biddy zz

I am now 1month post op. Sad to say i still feel so much regret getting my surgery. Ive lost 27 pounds. I hit alot of stalls in the beginning not eatting enough Protein and Water so finally i have everything going ok im starting to adventure to new protein foods. These protein puffs from this bariatric store are actually pretty good with 21g of protein in 1 cup so when i go to the movies or i want to munch i put a cup in a bag and go to town. I need to excercise more i only walk to the park and back everyday and play soccer with my 5yr old. I guess i feel alittle not motivated right now which i need to get out of my head.

Anyways i am doing 1 tbs of Peanut Butter in the morning on a spoon and that helps me drink lots of water then 2hours later i have a protein yogurt and for lunch i have a tuna albacore/ tuna packet. I need convenience so the packet that is just the albacore in water is nice and only 80 cal tons of protein and i can take it to go. I also have the 100cal tuna salad sometimes as well it just has alittle more fat and a few more cals in it. I have pudding in the evening and dinner some chicken cut tiny or canned or sometimes scrambled eggs. Ohb a d my favorite thing i have to limit is 2 sugar free caramel candies i will still lose if i only suck on 2 of them. :)

20190701_081941.jpg

20190701_081947.jpg

20190701_082443.jpg

20190701_082450.jpg

20190701_083222.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2019 at 8:16 AM, BlueAngelEyes said:

Im what you call a debbie downer! I had my surgery may31st and regret every day i wish i wouldnt of done it. I didnt do all the research i should of just listened to the docters counceling class. Major mistake wish i would have never done this. Maybe it will change when im thin and wearing fun pretty clothes and feel sexy again but for now my attitude is it sucks!!

You look so young! You are experiencing the down side of surgery right now. But what you don't realize is that you are avoiding the downside of a life of obesity 30-40 more years down the road. Once you can't walk because of early arthritis brought on by decades of obesity, and you develop sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, fatty liver, and asthma, and start having joint replacements at an early age, you will wish (like many of us older folks) that you had done it much sooner. If I could have avoided 50 years of obesity and all the related health issues, I would certainly have done so. I am so sorry I waited until my life was literally slipping away from me. I regret all the lost years and all the things I would have loved to have done if only I had been thinner and without the pain of arthritis. You are going to have a full, active life, able to do anything you want! That is a wonderful gift to give yourself!

PS: Add in the polycystic ovary disease, infertility problems, and for me, an early hysterectomy due to endometrial hyperplasia secondary to obesity!

Edited by AZhiker
new content: PS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

You look so young! You are experiencing the down side of surgery right now. But what you don't realize is that you are avoiding the downside of a life of obesity 30-40 more years down the road. Once you can't walk because of early arthritis brought on by decades of obesity, and you develop sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, fatty liver, and asthma, and start having joint replacements at an early age, you will wish (like many of us older folks) that you had done it much sooner. If I could have avoided 50 years of obesity and all the related health issues, I would certainly have done so. I am so sorry I waited until my life was literally slipping away from me. I regret all the lost years and all the things I would have loved to have done if only I had been thinner and without the pain of arthritis. You are going to have a full, active life, able to do anything you want! That is a wonderful gift to give yourself!

Im 32, my mother says that to me as well that i will be glad i did this younger than her age. Surgery takes a toll she says. My biggest regret is because my 2 kids are under 5 and its a struggle takimg care of them and eatting good. Ive done the hcg diet twice in my life and lost 45pounds each time in 45 days. So i feel like i could of done the weightloss on my own without the surgery. My problem was getting upset in my relationship and life and eatting my feelings and gaining all that back. This sleeve i didnt do the research very much so losing and constantly stalling maked me regret alot. But at least my kids will grow up with a thin sexy mom rather than a fat ass one :) lol eventually!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AZhiker said:
25 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

You look so young! You are experiencing the down side of surgery right now. But what you don't realize is that you are avoiding the downside of a life of obesity 30-40 more years down the road. Once you can't walk because of early arthritis brought on by decades of obesity, and you develop sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, fatty liver, and asthma, and start having joint replacements at an early age, you will wish (like many of us older folks) that you had done it much sooner. If I could have avoided 50 years of obesity and all the related health issues, I would certainly have done so. I am so sorry I waited until my life was literally slipping away from me. I regret all the lost years and all the things I would have loved to have done if only I had been thinner and without the pain of arthritis. You are going to have a full, active life, able to do anything you want! That is a wonderful gift to give yourself!

PS: Add in the polycystic ovary disease, infertility problems, and for me, an early hysterectomy due to endometrial hyperplasia secondary to obesity!

Im sorry to hear about your health issues you've had to go through. Congrats on ur weight loss i bet its not so exhausting watching ur grandkids i bet now ur getting thin and healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And a lot of my problems are similar to AZhiker, don't have diabetes, high blood pressure but still have to watch it so my thoracic aorta aneurysm doesn't explode, I this far have retained my uterus, offered it up to my last gynecologist, nasty critter not only. declined harvesting it, he insulted me for asking, did haVE PCOS, PROBABLY THAT EXPLAINS only 3 children in 10 years when I was trying So Hard. I was an only child, sounds lovely in theory, in real life not so much. Have had joints removed because of degenerative arthritis which started at 25, some replaced ( knees) some lost forever. Most of my grip strength is gone from my right thumb. Imagine having to ask your son to constantly open Water bottles, use can openers, pick things up, because now my shoulders are shot, too many times having to beat the stain of pushing to get,up from seated positions. And I stood it well into my 70s, cried a lot from pain, embarrasment, you WANT to do things for yourself but you JUST CAN'T. anymore. Even if I NEVER fully heal, I still have a better quality of life than I did before. And I am a cock- eyed optimist, I still believe in future healing for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueAngelEyes said:

Im 32, my mother says that to me as well that i will be glad i did this younger than her age. Surgery takes a toll she says. My biggest regret is because my 2 kids are under 5 and its a struggle takimg care of them and eatting good. Ive done the hcg diet twice in my life and lost 45pounds each time in 45 days. So i feel like i could of done the weightloss on my own without the surgery. My problem was getting upset in my relationship and life and eatting my feelings and gaining all that back. This sleeve i didnt do the research very much so losing and constantly stalling maked me regret alot. But at least my kids will grow up with a thin sexy mom rather than a fat ass one :) lol eventually!

It seems to be common for some of us to have buyers remorse/regret. It may be surgery complications, struggling with first stages, having to give up old coping skills/behaviors and for others it’s a moment of what did I do, and I can’t go back. Knowing what you are getting into with surgery would have been helpful.

I have no regret. I knew exactly why I was doing this. I knew there is pain with any type of surgery, I understood the risks and the work I had to do.

Is bariatric surgery hard? Is losing weight on your own hard? Is struggling with obesity hard? Hell ya. Hang in there, these feeling usually pass with time.

For me, one of the best gifts out of surgery was overcoming WHY, I was obese. It forced me to deal with past issues and stress/emotional eating. Changing behaviors was hard but worth it. I’m happier, healthier and having adventures in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BlueAngelEyes said:

Im 32, my mother says that to me as well that i will be glad i did this younger than her age. Surgery takes a toll she says. My biggest regret is because my 2 kids are under 5 and its a struggle takimg care of them and eatting good. Ive done the hcg diet twice in my life and lost 45pounds each time in 45 days. So i feel like i could of done the weightloss on my own without the surgery. My problem was getting upset in my relationship and life and eatting my feelings and gaining all that back. This sleeve i didnt do the research very much so losing and constantly stalling maked me regret alot. But at least my kids will grow up with a thin sexy mom rather than a fat ass one :) lol eventually!

I

Losing weight is not the real issue - we have all gotten real good at that. I bet I've lost well over 1,000 pounds......BUT...... like you said - it all comes back. This yo-yo stuff over the years will completely mess up your metabolism and the neuro/communication links between your stomach and brain. i believe the damage becomes irreversible at some point and WLS becomes the only option left. I also believed I should give it yet another chance "on my own" until my PCP talked some sense into me, "If you could have done it on your own, you would have by now." She was so right. WLS is certainly not easy and the weight loss will not be maintained without a complete lifestyle/eating makeover, but WLS gives us a tool and buys us time to get the changes in place so we can finally be successful at this.

I've read so many articles about the physiology of obesity, and it is complex issue with genetic, hormonal, environmental, childhood trauma, and even gut biome components. Losing weight is only one part of the equation - the smallest one, I think. The body puts all its resources together to regain, which has little to do with will power. It is a physiological response to set points that get lower and lower the more times we diet and put ourselves into caloric deficits. A really good book on the topic is "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung. I feel incredibly blessed to have been able to have WLS (which hijacks the weigh gain roller coaster) and finally get my body and life back into a healthy balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 10:01 AM, Jazzy1125 said:

7 months out and do not have one single regret!!! However, I did a lot of research before going into this as i was self pay and wanted to make sure i knew the ins and outs of what i was getting myself into.

I too was self pay. Using money from refinancing our home. I thought I did enough research that I knew what I was doing but I was wrong! Regret is a tough pill to swallow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I didn’t have much pain. But emotionally and mentally I am in horrific agony. I regret this decision so much.

Prayer for you to feel better soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I never had pain I had pulling by biggest incision but go in and have them look if it’s so painful I feel like something might be going on. I’m 4 1/2 weeks post op from bypass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those struggling with regret, please get some therapy because you will need to learn the root cause of this and learn to soothe yourself with something other than food. You could have low level depression, left untreated you will blame the surgery. No one solves head issues by losing weight, it goes way deeper than food - food is a symptom. I wish you much success in this journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My pain was gone after like day 3 I found it so hard to eat and drink so I lived off of sugar free Jello .. ice chips, , broth from wonton Soup .. I sometimes regret it because I’m a single parent and broke so
It seems like fish and other expensive foods I can’t afford I couldn’t even buy my Vitamins the first month..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buyer's remorse lasted about a month. As I've watched the lbs come off over the past 11 mos I've became much more accepting of my new life. Good luck on your journey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my first week was the worst!! day 10 I felt normal, and it gradually gets better and better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I had my surgery on July 8. I had discomfort until this morning the 10th. Only need three pain pills once home the day after surgery on Tuesday and Wednesday. I woke up this morning the 11th feeling amazing. No regrets at all. Just take it slow. Get the walks in and sip your fluids. I count to 4 when sipping then swallow my fluids. I’m down 11 pounds since the 8th. I’m extremely happy with this decision. Just take your time with walking, getting up, drinking and eating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×