Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is it with the superior 'oldies'!!

Beka

In all fairness to oldies, it's not bs that at a certain point we're out living our lives.

For awhile (I think year 4?) I actually on a regular basis FORGOT I was banded--my weight became something I didn't think about for the first time in my life. After my battle with reflux started that all changed, but I guess my point is...don't discount the "out living life". It happens. ;)

~Robin in my 8th year :hungry:

I forget I am banded on a regular basis. And unless someone points out my weight, I don't really think about my weight or size. So yeah, if that's what you call "out and living life" I am doing it, and have been for some time.

In all fairness to oldies, it's not bs that at a certain point we're out living our lives.

For awhile (I think year 4?) I actually on a regular basis FORGOT I was banded--my weight became something I didn't think about for the first time in my life. After my battle with reflux started that all changed, but I guess my point is...don't discount the "out living life". It happens. ;)

~Robin in my 8th year :hungry:

Robin...

Has your reflux been diagnosed yet? Have you been checked out under fluoro yet?

Good grief! I have been emailing with a guy all evening (which I wouldn't have had the nerve to do if I hadn't lost weight) so I haven't checked new posts. Now I have an entire thread to read!

One of the first things he asked me was if I was overweight. Men!

I sent him a picture and let him be the judge of that.

Okay, post on and I will catch up!

BTW, I can't wait to see you again when I come to AZ. I am going to stay longer so we can spend more time together.

I am a newbie and I find this thread offensive. What would a site be without the "oldies" as you call them. They share their experiences willingly and DO NOT HAVE TO DO SO. This is a networking site. If you come here for therapy, you are wasting your time. I have learned alot of things from reading the opinions of "oldies" and they are just that "opinions". If you don't like it, get over it. No one is here to hold your hand. It just makes me mad for someone to INTENTIONALLY post a thread to get the "oldies" giving their opinions because you somehow feel this is going to validate you posting it to begin with.

Let's all give our "oldies" a round of applause. Alot of us wouldn't make it without you. :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Wow never realised that me going off on a rant would be such a hit! Now let me clarify a few things - why I had my rant (rant meaning getting it off chest as feeling at point in time) started because of a thread about having the Rant Area being made off limit to 'newbies'. Yes that is what someone called the people who are new to banding or the site - thread pretty much said rants should be off limits to newbies because we are too 'sensitive' and couldn't handle it all - WT? So I just had to add my rants about 'oldies' in no way did I mean to cause offensive cause have had much great advice from 'oldies' - as I said it was just a rant and mood of time.

So to the 'oldies' (as I affectionately call you) from a 'newbie' I am sorry if you took offense but thought thats what rants are all about - getting it out there and trust me after reading your responses I am definately a'newbie' who is not too sensitive.

Robin...

Has your reflux been diagnosed yet? Have you been checked out under fluoro yet?

Oh yeah---I've long since resolved it. I had to get a total unfill in 2004 (or was it 05, I can't remember anymore). For the better part of 2 years I had to remain unfill because in my stubbornness I kept thinking that once my stomach had settled down I could go back up to the restriction that had been optimal for me.

No such luck. I finally accepted I HAD to take responsibility and stop letting the band do most of the work for me (which when it was super tight, it really was). I ended up compromising and getting what I consider a mild/moderate fill and dealing with "watching what I eat". It's preferable to the fill/unfill/reflux merrygoround I was on. And sure enough, I've taken off 20 lbs of the 40+ I regained with no fill.

The good part of it all--I'm not afraid anymore.

Wow never realised that me going off on a rant would be such a hit! Now let me clarify a few things - why I had my rant (rant meaning getting it off chest as feeling at point in time) started because of a thread about having the Rant Area being made off limit to 'newbies'. Yes that is what someone called the people who are new to banding or the site - thread pretty much said rants should be off limits to newbies because we are too 'sensitive' and couldn't handle it all - WT? So I just had to add my rants about 'oldies' in no way did I mean to cause offensive cause have had much great advice from 'oldies' - as I said it was just a rant and mood of time.

So to the 'oldies' (as I affectionately call you) from a 'newbie' I am sorry if you took offense but thought thats what rants are all about - getting it out there and trust me after reading your responses I am definately a'newbie' who is not too sensitive.

I like you. I think we shall keep you. That was one of the coolest headed replies to a thread like this I have ever read.

Chickie you always manage to make me laugh or want to scream in frustration and that's why

I like having 'oldies' like you around

Chickie you always manage to make me laugh or want to scream in frustration and that's why

And by the was love your new signature!!

I please to aim.

And by the was love your new signature!!

Me too. I thought it fit. My almost 11 year old DS read your post (over my shoulder when I snorted, farted, then snorted again) and said "Losing weight didn't make you that way, you were always self righteous, obnoxious and condescending" And collapsed into fits of laughter.

My kid, much like his mother, calls 'em like he sees 'em.

No offence taken, and I hope none given. I get pissed, but I get over stuff very quickly. Life's too short. Like my memory.

I please to aim.

Me too. I thought it fit. My almost 11 year old DS read your post (over my shoulder when I snorted, farted, then snorted again) and said "Losing weight didn't make you that way, you were always self righteous, obnoxious and condescending" And collapsed into fits of laughter.

My kid, much like his mother, calls 'em like he sees 'em.

No offence taken, and I hope none given. I get pissed, but I get over stuff very quickly. Life's too short. Like my memory.

Definately none taken I am one of those love to debate types and it takes a lot to offend me! And I thought the rants section was a great place to let off some of my red haired fire but I will be a little more cautious in future - esp cause I too am a self proclaimed sometimes obnoxious, self rightous and condescending one.

... started because of a thread about having the Rant Area being made off limit to 'newbies'. Yes that is what someone called the people who are new to banding or the site - thread pretty much said rants should be off limits to newbies because we are too 'sensitive' and couldn't handle it all - WT? ...

I obviously missed that post. Especially in light of the fact that most posting there ARE newbies.

Please, provide a post the eliminates newbies. Which posts says newbies should not respond. Or, which post made you feel newbies were not permitted to speak up.

The good part of it all--I'm not afraid anymore.

Well DAMN girl! What fun is that? We can't pick apart your post and attempt to guess what your surgeon might suggest is the problem. ;) THEN, there is the infamous cure! What fun are you?

In all honesty, I'm glad it was diagnosed and resolved.

Nice to meet you. (hugs)

I obviously missed that post. Especially in light of the fact that most posting there ARE newbies.

Please, provide a post the eliminates newbies. Which posts says newbies should not respond. Or, which post made you feel newbies were not permitted to speak up.

This one is the feedback,suggestion area.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/rants-raves-become-not-newbies-45404/

Hope I attached it right! Really all it was, was a thread that caught my eye on a pissy day - thus why I posted in the rants area as opposed to main boards.