Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Zealand Hates Fat People!

Like all countries, New Zealand has every right to determine who enters it. But we have a right to wonder, after fat people, who are the NZ'ers going to demonize next?

Like all countries, New Zealand has every right to determine who enters it. But we have a right to wonder, after fat people, who are the NZ'ers going to demonize next?

It's not about demonizing people. It's an economic decision.

point taken.

based on what I have heard. New Zealand uses BMI to make decisions based upon weather a overweight person can enter or not, could athletes be denied entry?

Are you serious?. An athlete may have a higher BMI than normal due to muscle weight but we're talking about denying entry to really obese people, not to someone overweight. And an athlete, no matter how muscled, is not going to have a BMI that places him in the morbidly obese category. Well maybe one of those Eastern European shotputters, crikey! They're rather large.

point taken.

based on what I have heard. New Zealand uses BMI to make decisions based upon weather a overweight person can enter or not, could athletes be denied entry?

BMI is just one of the factors there were a lot of reasons this one came up (including the fact that we have people in NZ who could do this job) and because this family was coming in based on a sponsored immigration from the work place the restrictions are different again.

Actually that's not one bit true.

I can't blame a country for not wanting the added costs. When my husband sought residency here, me AND my parents (even though I wasn't their dependent) had to sign documents basically saying that they would be financially responsible for him in the event that he was unable to care for himself, financially - rendering him uneligible for assistance until he obtains citizenship (I don't remember if it only applied to particular programs or not). He pretty much had to waive it - not that it was actually being offered. And he's paying more into taxes than most American citizens are. :)

Hey Wheetsin that happened to me to. Coming from England and my wife being American we had to prove she made enough money to fully surrport me and i would not have to worry about the govement paying for me. Even though i was a skilled tradesman (Refrigeration and Air Conditioning tech) and i could make way more money then she could we still had to sign off. I think its weird that as soon as i started work they had NO problem taking alot of money out of my check to pay for other ppl.

Oh well. O and i did have to go through health screening and a criminal check and pay about $2000 before i could move here.

Wheetsin ...where is your hubby from?

Would they take in anorexics??? They would also cost a lot of money.

Anyway come to the UK. We are taking in the whole world including, no especially the criminal fraternity. Easy welfare benefits as well.

I am just thinking who would wnat to come here?

I would like to go to Australia, but they want one million or more Australia Dollars to let my DH and I in.

Hey Wheetsin that happened to me to. Coming from England and my wife being American we had to prove she made enough money to fully surrport me and i would not have to worry about the govement paying for me. Even though i was a skilled tradesman (Refrigeration and Air Conditioning tech) and i could make way more money then she could we still had to sign off. I think its weird that as soon as i started work they had NO problem taking alot of money out of my check to pay for other ppl.

Oh well. O and i did have to go through health screening and a criminal check and pay about $2000 before i could move here.

Wheetsin ...where is your hubby from?

I see where you're coming from (no pun intended! ;)) I work for a faith-based non-profit and share my office with Migration and Refugee Services and it freakin' amazes me, the hoops people have to jump through to get here - makes the insurance companies look like pushovers! I can almost understand illegal immigration - lest I get flamed, understand does mean condone -

Here's an interesting piece about weight discrimination from an organization in the U.S.--not necessarily related to immigration or NZ at all, but I'm feeling a little ADD today from yesterday's "turkey high!" LOL

Council on Size and Weight Discrimination - Discrimination FAQ

Quote from article:

"Isn't it true that fat people use up more than their share of the public health care dollar?

No. As a society, we have chosen to join together and share in the funding of public health care. Many of us also pay for private health care and/or health insurance. We do not get to pick who deserves what portion of the resources available. Athletes use more health care services because they are at higher risk for broken bones, injuries to soft tissues, etc. Those who drive cars put themselves at greater risk for traffic accidents. Older people use a majority of the public health care collar. And to use a truly parallel example, poverty is a risk factor for most major diseases. Poor people use more public money on health care, and have worse outcomes.

The difference is that our society does not disapprove of athletes or car drivers, and we recognize that it is unfair to blame poor people or old people for their greater use of health care resources. But when it comes to obesity, weight prejudice makes our society intolerant. We blame fat people for their condition no matter what the real cause. We blame fat people for not losing weight, no matter how difficult or impossible that might be. We blame fat people for using more than "their share" of health care resources. Our society does this because of prejudice, bigotry, and intolerance against those who are heavier than average."

Naturally, this article has a certain slant to it because it was written by a group advocating tolerance towards the overweight. Duh! Anyhow, I found the site interesting. Sorry for being so darn random today! ;)

Hey Thanks Footballmom! Most people have to hire a immagration laywer to get all the paper work right, i was just about smart enough to get it done myself.

I think countries should be able to refuse entry to anyone for any reason. They should just apply it equally across the board to all, from any country. I liken my country to my home. I have the right to refuse anyone entry into my home and I think countries should have the same right.

I think citizenship should have it's priveledges, and if you are born in a country they are stuck with you period.

To be fair NZ, or any country, for that matter have a right to only admit healthy people. The bad thing about obesity is that it is kind of hard to hide. If you are a smoker or an alcoholic, that can be covered up as long as it hasn't started to effect your health. So if you are fat, you are screwed.

I have been fat for a long time, but I hardly ever use the medical services and I can't be the only fat person who hardly ever has to see the doc, there must be millions of us. I just do not get it!

It is a bit scary saying the above, what if I have to start going to the doctor a lot now!