Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Zealand Hates Fat People!

Hi everyone!

I just read this article on the Fox News website:

"New Zealand Denies Immigration to U.K. Wife Because She's Too Fat"

FOXNews.com - New Zealand Denies Immigration to U.K. Wife Because She's Too Fat - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

I wonder what would happen if the U.S. did this? What if they decided to deport us if our BMI wasn't below a certain level?? :)

That's horrible! And they say the US has problems.......

I believe you'll see more and more of it - but the US and NZ health systems are different. It can be more of a reflection on how the system works than a moral judgement about obesity - and no country wants to take in, for example, someone who's going to be dependent upon welfare and taxpayers money - people who have no skills or trade or a criminal record already struggle to immigrate to other countries dont they? I dont think this is any different really - not that I am condoning it.

In Australia for example, everyone gets health care under the public system and some people can choose to have more choice in their health care by paying private health insurance. But basically everybody has the right to decent health care.

So a majorly obese population puts enormous strain on the health system as nobody gets denied treatment on the basis of not having insurance etc, as you get more and more health problems resulting from obesity, the system struggles more and more.

So yeah, I think unfortunately, its a matter of time before fat discrimination comes out of the closet and becomes blatant. Or our health system changes and we start denying those who dont have health insurance. Probably both.

Perhaps the government should look at the problem of obesity and how to prevent it rather than denying people who may have other valuable skills entry to the country?

I understand why they didn't let her in. Why would a country that pays for the basic health care of it's citizens, willingly take in someone who will cost their tax payers in the form of obesity related treatments?

<p>I am a Kiwi girl and my husband actually contracts to the company which wanted to bring this guy and his wife to NZ and it pretty much came down to - they wanted to employ him (husband and wife both overweight) but NZ now has a new immigration guidelines and one of those is obesity. Why should we let people into our country based on their skills (which by the way there are people in NZ who are qualified to do this job but its cheaper for them to employ someone from overseas) when in the long run they could end up costing tax payers money!! We already have a rising obesity rate and the costs are estimated in the billions. NZ and the US run very differently (thank goodness!) I love our country and want to see more money in education and health not paying for overseas imports and their health issues, and if this woman really wanted to be here with her husband (who by the way got off his a and lost the weight) she would do something about it.</p>

<p>By the way NZ doesn't hate fat people - have you not met any NZers Transformer - if you had you would realise we are probably one of the most easy going accepting cultures around (of course unless someone decides to bag our country!!)</p>

And my last point!! NZ has FREE health care, which EVERYONE including immigrants are intitled to - and there have been many cases of this being abused by people from overseas. Bit hard to abuse the US health care where everyone has to have insurance don't they???

Yes, I think that's a bit over the top - really its a reflection on how the health system works, not an example of America's open mindedness with regard to immigration! I think many people with a chronic life threatening disease would find they might run into a brick wall when they try to migrate to another country! Whichever country that is. You cant automatically assume its some moral judgement of the woman.

<p>By the way NZ doesn't hate fat people - have you not met any NZers Transformer - if you had you would realise we are probably one of the most easy going accepting cultures around (of course unless someone decides to bag our country!!)</p>

I met a lady who had just come back from visiting the region and she said that by far, the people of New Zealand where the most charming and nicest people in the whole region.

America once had an immigration system that kept out people who would cost the govt. money. It was called Ellis Island.

Bit hard to abuse the US health care where everyone has to have insurance don't they???
Actually that's not one bit true.

I can't blame a country for not wanting the added costs. When my husband sought residency here, me AND my parents (even though I wasn't their dependent) had to sign documents basically saying that they would be financially responsible for him in the event that he was unable to care for himself, financially - rendering him uneligible for assistance until he obtains citizenship (I don't remember if it only applied to particular programs or not). He pretty much had to waive it - not that it was actually being offered. And he's paying more into taxes than most American citizens are. :scared:

I can understand that, if the country's health care system is gov't based. It doesn't mean I have to like it. They are not turning out their own citizens, but denying immigration.

I am a Benefits Adminstrator for my company and see our premiums jump 10% or more with every renewal, because we are forced, through our premiums to subsidize un-insured people (both citizens and non-citizens) who either can't or won't pay their medical expenses.

If the couple agree to not use the gov't medical system and pay for the expenses themselves, New Zealand should let them in.

The "New Zealand Hates Fat People" title was just to grab attention--I was just kidding. Apparently, it worked! :D

I think it's interesting that NZ won't even let obese people in because of the potential cost of their health care, but people who are obese in our own country (like me!) can't even get help paying for surgery like the lapband that would cut the costs associated with their health care. :)

Chrisann--Your idea of agreeing not to pay their way is an interesting one!

The "New Zealand Hates Fat People" title was just to grab attention--I was just kidding. Apparently, it worked! :D

I think it's interesting that NZ won't even let obese people in because of the potential cost of their health care, but people who are obese in our own country (like me!) can't even get help paying for surgery like the lapband that would cut the costs associated with their health care. :)

Chrisann--Your idea of agreeing not to pay their way is an interesting one!

I am not sure if NZ is like Australia (I have a feeling our medical systems are very, very similar)

But if it is a carbon copy of ours, the "system" actually does pay toward banding, bypass, DS, and the VSG.

Not to mention, if said obese person gets ill with an obesity related condition (diabetes, high BP, has a heart attack, or stroke ect) the "system" automatically pays for the medical care, with nothing out of pocket if they are a public patient.

That could be hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of a lifetime. That is a huge financial burden for the tax payers.

And "paying their own way" just isn't an option. Because once a citizen, you are entitled to health care.

I meant that a lot of private insurance companies won't pay for weight-loss surgery in the U.S., but they seem all too willing to pay for the complications brought on by being too heavy (arthritis, diabetes, etc.). To me it's a short-sighted view!

From the sound of it, I don't know if that couple the article is about were even planning to become NZ citizens. I guess Chrisann was thinking that they could pay for any services they needed while they were working there as non-citizens. Does that make sense? I'm getting sleepy--it's only 7:40--what's the matter with me?? :notagree

The article said they were trying to immigrate to NZ.

My point is (I am feeling really sick today, so I mightn't be as clear with my thoughts as I think I am being) that an obese person is a burden on a publicly funded health care system.

So I totally understand a country who has more than enough obese people of it's own to look after denying a citizenship to this lady.