Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

6 hours ago, Recidivist said:

AZ, that could have been written by me! I am horrified by the sagging skin and don't want anyone to see it. And I also have jutting collarbones and shoulder blades, although I still prefer that to what I used to look like. I too am surprised every time I look in the mirror because my face looks so different (including the loose skin hanging below my jaw like a turkey).

I also realize that this is still the honeymoon phase and wonder what it will be like when it's over. I would hate to have gone through all this only to re-gain weight in a year or two. However, I have to think that I'm training my mind to make sensible food choices, and that should last beyond the honeymoon.

I'm four months out (gastric bypass on Feb 13) and I, too, feel a difference at the 4-month point. I'm starting to crave the foods I used to really like and I'm frustrated that emotional eating might start. I find I can eat more than before and it's not good. I don't feel sick with chest discomfort anymore when I eat, which IS good, but I had a chocolate chip cookie yesterday and ate it all with no consequences in the gut department. NOT good. I definitely feel as if the honeymoon phase has ended. I am also frustrated because I severely injured my tailbone on Monday and am in a ton of pain...can't sit, can't stand, can't walk....not getting my steps in. Also, this morning I woke up and noticed I'm just starting to lose hair and my hair has always been thin--can't afford to lose any! I should NOT be complaining so much as my 50-pound loss is truly fantastic, but I am a bit nervous at the 4-month point I am praying there is no regression.

I am so proud of my Feb friends hearing about your successes, but also hearing about your challenges. I am so encouraged to hear that my struggles are not alien and that others are working through the same issues I am. Not that I want any of you to have struggles, but it feels good that I'm not alone!

8 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Lol! That before and after looks about what a 2 year old who wasn’t interested in eating Breakfast would consume.
Love it!

I'm not sure you made a dent in this breakfast! Love that you ordered a kid's portion.

On 06/12/2019 at 20:29, AZhiker said:

It is so good to see everyone's progress. I had a major set back last week with a very bad, week long diarrhea bug. Horrible! Lost my appetite completely, got dehydrated, and have been slowly crawling out of the hole. However, once I could start to eat a little bit, it was basically the BRAT diet - banana, rice, applesauce, dry toast. No kidding - that's all I could tolerate, I tried to sip a Protein Shake but just couldnt do it. So I am now trying to get more Protein back into the mix and cut way back on the carbs that were the only things I could digest. Really wrecked my exercise schedule, too. But day by day it's getting better.

I am getting very close to goal and struggling with a few issues - any of my Feb Buds having the same?

1) very anxious about return of hunger/appetite and my ability to maintain.

2) worried that I won't be able to reach my goal at all. It still seems so surreal. I haven't been this weight in 40 years.

3) Body dysmorphia. I have so many sags and wrinkles that I feel like I look like a haggard, old woman - like my skin is 90 years old. I feel like I look freakish. I never wanted my husband to see my fat body, but now I don't want him to see my sagging flesh body. I feel bony - can see ribs, collarbones, shoulder blades, hip bones. I feel like I look like a concentration camp survivor. I know logically this is not true, but I have become very self conscious. I hardly recognize my own face. Maybe this is from so much change in such a short amount of time.

Got my labs back. Everything looks good, so Drs saying it’s just a “bug” Ive picked up. He’s also got me doing some different stretches to help with the muscle cramps I’ve been having in my calves.

Wow that’s awesome some of you are almost to goal! Congrats to all of you!
I’ve still got 88 lbs till I’m at goal. @Sheribear68. I’ve been a slow loser too. I’m bringing up the rear with you :) We will both get there!

@AZhiker this bug has done the same to me. Ive lost my appetite completely and meat makes me so nauseated. I finally found today that the SF popsicles go down good and I feel so much better after eating them. Thinking I’m not eating enough? So it’s back to liquids for a little bit and concentrating on getting fluids in. Baby steps, or as you said slowly crawling back to normal. I’m also going to try the BRAT thing you posted.
I too worry I won’t be able to reach my goal at all. But try and keep reminding myself that I’m “only” 4 months out. I’ve supposedly still got 8 months of honeymoon phase to get to goal. I try not to compare myself to others, but dang if it’s not easy to.
The body dysmorphia has been strong this last week. My family keeps pointing out all the places I’ve lost or how good I’m looking, but I can’t see it. I’ve been feeling like I’ve not lost any weight. Or Ive noticed spots on me where I have lost and it’s so weird to feel my bones that it kind of freaks me out. I get its all head games. The mind is so weird sometimes. You are correct, it is from so much change in a short amount of time.

On 06/13/2019 at 05:41, Everythinganna said:

I’m at a hotel for business travel. Everything is so big and so expensive on the menu so I went with the kids Breakfast. The portion is still enormous! Here is my before and after. How did I do? I guess I shouldn’t be worried about my capacity. If this is what a normal person could eat I am nowhere near this.

1C726619-C0D8-4206-A887-2487D7C76336.jpeg

42319DF9-A785-43A2-B27B-88A8A6ACB818.jpeg

Wow that’s crazy that’s the kids portion! It blows my mind to see that much food and think I use to eat that and more.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:54 PM, AZhiker said:

I went and got a short summer cut, to minimize the visual trauma in the drain!

That's a great idea! I have shoulder length hair, but usually wear mine long. I'm getting older (54) and finally decided a month after surgery to make a change. Wishing us luck on not losing too much hair😢

Why do we expect so much weight loss? I see a lot of people that expect to lose it overnight, myself included. It's frustrating being the same weight. 96 pounds to go seems such a long journey. Good luck to everyone here, you all seem to be doing so well!

Ps you look fabulous and young sheribear!

Thanks for the positive reinforcement guys.

I’m still amazed at the “child size” Breakfast that Anna had and how freaking HUGE that plate looks to me now.
Then I got really sad because it honestly is a large portion of food...... for a kid.
Honestly it’s a miracle that there aren’t more people who are obese when that’s the standard we start kids with nowadays.

My kids are grown, but if I ever get grandkids, I’m going to encourage that “less is more”. Especially since those grandkids will be carrying around approximately 25% my genetics.

On 06/13/2019 at 23:26, gabybab said:

That's a great idea! I have shoulder length hair, but usually wear mine long. I'm getting older (54) and finally decided a month after surgery to make a change. Wishing us luck on not losing too much hair😢

I’m losing some, but I just can’t for the life of me get brave enough for a short cut.
Every time in the past when I’ve ever cut my hair shorter than shoulder length, I insta regret it and I always feel like it makes my face look fat fat fat.

Maybe if my Hair loss progresses beyond mild to moderate into the severe category, but mine has always been reeeeeeeeally slow growing (before bariatric surgery) so if I regretted it, it would take well over a year to grow back.

I went back and looked at my records and did a little math. I am losing 1.12 pounds a week. Slow and steady wins the race. I was at 121 this morning. I am thrilled with these results!!!

DF110365-70CC-4DAC-B451-AACDF92BD7EC.jpeg

Wow! 121?
Lol, I think I was over that from the age of 12 when I grew 5 inches in a year to my current height of 5’7”. 🤣🤣

I did weigh in this morning at 185.2 though which means I’m now just 40 pounds from goal weight.

It’s been so long since I’ve been this close. My old college weight was 135, but I’m steadfastly telling myself that I’m no longer 22 years old and therefore my sleeve can’t reverse 28 years worth of time.

Great job Anna!

I'm losing again - about a pound a day, which over time averages out at about l.5 lbs a week. It's so weird how it just stops for a while and then it's like a release. The trick is hanging on while the stall happens and not get discouraged. The wonderful thing is that I can't over eat even if I wanted to right now. Restriction is still there. I'm now a total of 112 lbs down (sleeve and bypass), 50 lbs down from bypass AND I am 6 lbs away from matching the weight on my driver's license! hahaha I have another 75 lbs to go till my goal weight! I can't quite believe it... I can actually see it on the horizon now.

If you listen really really close, you can hear your Inner Body Voice. It is saying " NOW REBOOTING" Yeah it is weird how we can lose in fits and spurts, isn't it?😛

2 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

If you listen really really close, you can hear your Inner Body Voice. It is saying " NOW REBOOTING" Yeah it is weird how we can lose in fits and spurts, isn't it?😛

I think mine has a LOT to do with Perimenopause, which I'm sure I am in the throes of. Fun times! lol

Yeah but at the End you become a Wise Woman, somebody younger people consult because you now have Life and Everything Else All Together! Really hasn't happened for ME but as the song lyrics go " that's the way I've always heard it would be!" Laughing thru my Tears!

On 06/16/2019 at 09:13, froufrou said:

I think mine has a LOT to do with Perimenopause, which I'm sure I am in the throes of. Fun times! lol

In this regard, I’m very very happy that i was 50 when I got sleeved.
This is hard enough without the hell that was pre/peri menopause