Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Anyone else stalling at 6 weeks? Nothing lost for the last week and a half.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:12 PM, Everythinganna said:

Hey Rocketman. I’m jealous. I also had surgery on 2/20 but I’ve only lost about 8 pounds! I think your loss is normal, but you should ask your doc for sure.

I went to my follow up on March 4th and everything was fine. I’ve lost 38lbs so far, and down to 217. Back to weight lifting the last couple of weeks which has been nice as well.

Just returned from a weekend family (3 of our adult kids who live out of state, sister in law and the kids friends) trip to Las Vegas. I’m feeling like I need an accountability post....

6 weeks out, I brought a cooler with Power aid zero, Protein Drinks, yogurt, cheese and other Protein foods that barely got touched. I ended up eating in the buffet twice with the family. I did make decent choices, sticking to protein, few carbs and no sugar but probably ate more that I should have. At another restaurant I didn’t order food and just ate bites from my family’s plates...more carbs than I normally eat for sure. I also ate 1/2 of a KFC chicken thigh including the breading on the long drive home....way too much grease and sat like a rock in my pouch.

I was never much of a drinker at home, occasionally socially, but in Vegas tequila shots were the norm. Well not now, I didn’t do any shots but I did however have Captain Morgan and Water with Mio style pineapple/mango drops consistently while playing slots....we played a lot of slots. The alcohol did seem to take effect quicker, but I drank slow and free Vegas drinks are not strong, so I was good. I was cautious and mindful though to be extra aware.

So....Today I’m feeling like I’ve been on shaky ground and it’s time to get back to WLS reality. Priority number 1 is to make sure I get in 80oz plus of water, make sure my food is all protein, no carbs and keep calories in the 600 range.

I was so happy to spend time with the kids. I don’t get to see some of them very often, but I’m not thrilled with way I handled my responsibilities as a WLS patient.

I’ve been finding the same with alcohol I have been kind of excited to have a drink but after one or at most two I’m kinda over it , not getting the same type of feeling either

On 3/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, Dubchild said:

Living in Canada the government pays for a very low number of these surgery’s a year (in my province) and we don’t have any mandated group meetings or support groups post surgery so I’d like to thank you all for being open and honest and always around to bounce questions and ideas off of.

Still regretting this decision, 40 days and 32lbs later. I played ice hockey for the first time yesterday and couldn’t have the beer in the dressing room after, couldn’t go upstairs and enjoy the wings and pizza with the guys. Tried to hang around as long as possible but ended up coming home to some chunky Soup. I feel as though I should’ve been better prepared for this major decision and hope I can get out in the future and just make others aware that they may be giving up a lot more than they bargained for

I think it feels like that at first and yes there are certain habits and foods we can't make the norm anymore, but now that I'm eating solid food again I'm still able to enjoy socializing. I go out to restaurants with friends. I make smart high Protein choices. I either order a small plate or take most of the meal home in a doggy bag, but I'm not feeling deprived. I'm focusing on the time spent with friends vs what food I'm going to eat.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:24 PM, fitme2019 said:

Hi, I m 1 month post op Bypass. It just seems impossible to get the Protein in. Sick n tired of Protein shakes:(
Any one got creative with making protein a bit interesting? Please share

Original Beef Jerky Sweet baby Ray
Serving Size 1 oz
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 9
Calories 90
% Daily Value*
2%
Total Fat 1ggrams
0%
Saturated Fat 0ggrams
Trans Fat 0ggrams
8%
Cholesterol 25mgmilligrams
20%
Sodium 480mgmilligrams
2%
Total Carbohydrates 6ggrams
0%
Dietary Fiber 0ggrams
Sugars 6ggrams
Protein 11ggrams

Edited by med28thmed

On 03/25/2019 at 09:33, froufrou said:

Anyone else stalling at 6 weeks? Nothing lost for the last week and a half.

Not so far and I’ll be 7 weeks out on Wednesday.
I did however have a 3 week stall from weeks 2-5, so it’s really nice to be losing again

Re alcohol:
There were many nights hubs and I would kill a bottle of wine between the 2 of us.
On the weekend, it was “normal” for us to kill the bottle of wine plus a bottle of bourbon. Or Rum. Or vodka.
And I never used mixers. I was a “neat” gal.
In all honesty, I’m scared to death to try to consume liquor at all because while I’m in this honeymoon phase, I just can’t second-guess any of my choices.
If I hit a stall, it will be because my body stalled— not because I stretched my sleeve with food and drink.
I don’t want to ever play the “what if” game if I only lose 50-60 pounds by the time this is over.
I’ve sworn off alcohol for 6 months and maybe longer depending on my progress.
Hubs is on board with me on this which almost guarantees sainthood.
It’s tough bc there are times where I think I miss it, but I’m also wearing a pair of pants that haven’t seen the outside of my closet for 3 years so there’s that

On 3/24/2019 at 6:25 PM, Joe P said:

Curiously I believe that you, Marine, and I are the only men in the feb group.

Hey, Joe. I'm another man who is an "honorary" member of the February group. I was supposed to go on February 25 but was postponed until March 4. By that time, I had already bonded with the February group.

I finally went back to work today, 3 weeks after surgery. I was exhausted by the end of the day, but otherwise all went well. I am so sick of the pureed/soft diet and have been pushing the envelope a bit by nibbling on some "real" food from time to time--but it was still all Protein, so I feel virtuous.

Regarding the alcohol discussion: I'm definitely going to avoid it for a year, since I want to get the most out of the honeymoon. I'm hoping to give up drinking permanently, but we'll see down the line. At the moment, my stomach is mildly upset all the time and I and can't even imagine drinking alcohol.

Has anyone heard anything bad regarding something like salmon or tuna sashimi? It’s my 6 weeks tomorrow I thought I might have a couple pieces while the family got the good stuff !

23 hours ago, Dubchild said:

Has anyone heard anything bad regarding something like salmon or tuna sashimi? It’s my 6 weeks tomorrow I thought I might have a couple pieces while the family got the good stuff !

I'm just over three weeks and have had salmon sashimi twice (including today) with no problems--and it was yummy!

😎

On 3/25/2019 at 5:13 PM, Sheribear68 said:

Not so far and I’ll be 7 weeks out on Wednesday.
I did however have a 3 week stall from weeks 2-5, so it’s really nice to be losing again

I'm finally on the move again. Broke through the elusive 280 barrier, which took a gastric sleeve AND a bypass to do!

On 03/26/2019 at 17:07, froufrou said:

I'm finally on the move again. Broke through the elusive 280 barrier, which took a gastric sleeve AND a bypass to do!

Woohoo! Nothing like hitting brand new numbers! Congrats

Nice work!