Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Living in Canada the government pays for a very low number of these surgery’s a year (in my province) and we don’t have any mandated group meetings or support groups post surgery so I’d like to thank you all for being open and honest and always around to bounce questions and ideas off of.

Still regretting this decision, 40 days and 32lbs later. I played ice hockey for the first time yesterday and couldn’t have the beer in the dressing room after, couldn’t go upstairs and enjoy the wings and pizza with the guys. Tried to hang around as long as possible but ended up coming home to some chunky Soup. I feel as though I should’ve been better prepared for this major decision and hope I can get out in the future and just make others aware that they may be giving up a lot more than they bargained for

You can look at it that way. But what if you do not lose the weight. It could lead to heart attack or other health issues if we continued going down the same road. I do agree that it is a huge change mentally and physically. I am 40 years old. We have eaten one way for so long and now we have to do it another way.

But look at the bright side ,”we all going to be hawt “ I had my surgery Friday ,and sat was rough ,but today is a new day and I’m going to get out and walk a bit ,hopefully,we leave Las Vegas Tuesday ans hope to be in my home town by Tuesday night,the doc repaired a hital hernia and tht has been my biggest thing so far aside from only siping Water instead of chugging it I’m not hungry yet but I stay so dang thirsty ,I’m forty as well ,ans did this for my heart and I hope to come off my bp meds ,I’m glad it’s challenging me to make better food choices as I lived off McDonald’s during the day and pizza rolls at night smfh I thk when we get down to our ideal weight we’ll be able to add things in like wings ,now the pizza I don’t know but they is some awesom Parmesan crust recipes out there ,and I hope I don’t develop blood clots I had a friend who had his gall bladder taken out then died a week later only wished I could had got to him sooner losing the weight could had saved his life ,maybe try finding friends at the gym or something people with the same goals as you and take it one day at time ,32 pounds is great keep at it ,when u get there u will be able to say “wow I did it “👏

But every day you will hurtless and start to feel better. Out of the swamp of misery sunlight will shine through. Has even forme and I have had so many cloudy days I might be living in a rainforest, things have a way of getting better, as the late Justin Wilson said on PBS" I Gar- en-tee!"

03/24/2019 11:39 AM, Dubchild said:

Living in Canada the government pays for a very low number of these surgery’s a year (in my province) and we don’t have any mandated group meetings or support groups post surgery so I’d like to thank you all for being open and honest and always around to bounce questions and ideas off of.

Still regretting this decision, 40 days and 32lbs later. I played ice hockey for the first time yesterday and couldn’t have the beer in the dressing room after, couldn’t go upstairs and enjoy the wings and pizza with the guys. Tried to hang around as long as possible but ended up coming home to some chunky Soup. I feel as though I should’ve been better prepared for this major decision and hope I can get out in the future and just make others aware that they may be giving up a lot more than they bargained for
I get it. I completely do, but let me share a story.
So as a lot of heavy people do, I have lots of friends with not so healthy lifestyles and body sizes.
I have these 2 friends that are sisters. They are in their early and mid-40’s. They are somewhere in the high 300’s and they’ve both had health issues for awhile. I’ve not told either of them about what I’ve done because they are both very anti-diet, exercise, health,etc....
They lost both parents due to obesity-related issues within the last few years and if I ever talk about the latest diet or fitness kick I’m on, it is met with extreme negativity.
They live together and honestly we don’t hang out much, our friendship is more text, social media and special holiday type events. All of those activities of course are involved with food and drink.
We used to co-host monthly book clubs with tons of food and beverages, but we all got busy during the holidays and I haven’t seen them since maybe November.
Never said one single peep about what I was planning, because I wasn’t in the mood to be lectured on how society shouldn’t be able to dictate self-image to us and all that bull crap.

Anyway, I found out through another mutual friend that the older sister is in cardiac ICU because she had blot clots in her lungs, her blood pressure is uncontrollably high, and apparently now her kidneys are failing.
While honestly not surprising that she was going to have some major health issues down the line, this news still shocked me. It brought home exactly WHY I’m doing this.

This is the same girl that went with undiagnosed uterine cancer because she was afraid to go to the doctor and be weighed and “have everyone there judge and lecture” her.
She literally almost died from cancer because she didn’t want to get on a scale.

Honestly I don’t expect even this will change her mind about the consequences of extreme obesity, but I wanted to post about it to remind every single one of us that THIS IS WORTH IT!!!

Tonite I’m taking my mother out for her 75th bday dinner and I’m not going to be able to have a cocktail and an appetizer and then dinner, and yeah.... that totally blows. but I by-God am not  a cardiac ICU patient who might not live to see April either.

Dubchild I'm 3 1/2 weeks post surgery, lost 19 lbs. I have a group of friends who we get together once or so a month for a few beers, wings, watch the game and generally BS. As you can see from the various posts doctors orders vary widely. From reading posts from other threads it is apparent that many men are able to have a occasional drink. I would check with your surgeon and explain the situation. My plans are to try a lite beer in a few months, I'm more concerned about the carbonation rather than the alcohol content as most of the light beers have minimal alcohol content. With the wings peel off the skin and enjoy one or two, with both moderation is key. Until a few months pass I would simply say to the guys that you have been on a doctor ordered diet and no booze right now. Make use there is some non carb drink to enjoy. People aren't going to count how many wings or drinks you are having. Rest assured the best is yet to come, don't miss the good times- just make a plan. Congratulations on your success! Curiously I believe that you, Marine, and I are the only men in the feb group.

Dubchild--I feel you. I sat through a dinner with friends last night and the host cooked an awesome dinner. I took a tiny scoop of mashed potatoes (thank goodness she had those as it was the only food that I could eat at this stage) and slowly ate it while others enjoyed the rest of the awesome food, including steak. For dessert they had a 3-layer homemade cake. I drank Water while others started with martinis and tasty hors deourves. They had a variety of red wine during dinner and after-dinner drinks. No one made a big deal of it that I was passing on everything, but I was frustrated and bummed. I wanted to enjoy it all! I have to believe, though, as others have said, that it's worth it to know that I have a new chance at being healthy. The pros will FAR outweigh any cons down the road if I can take less insulin, stop the aching in my knees and back, and feel more energetic. It's a process....

Thanks everyone reading these really help everyday and I don’t mean to drag anyone down and I shouldn’t sneeze at the total success I’ve had compared to many. I have had a glass of wine or two a couple times on this post surgery journey , mainly on a Saturday night but I have definitely not gone back to 8 beers and a couple whiskeys as was my old routine.

Thanks everyone reading these really help everyday and I don’t mean to drag anyone down and I shouldn’t sneeze at the total success I’ve had compared to many. I have had a glass of wine or two a couple times on this post surgery journey , mainly on a Saturday night but I have definitely not gone back to 8 beers and a couple whiskeys as was my old routine.

Well, it is cold up in the Great White North! And I'm pretty sure you didn't bring anybody down. We are all going through this together!

How much did you gals and guys lose ur first week!

On 03/24/2019 at 18:31, Dubchild said:

Oh you aren’t bringing anyone down. We are all February buds and are in this together.

On 03/24/2019 at 20:30, sallie Lindsey said:

How much did you gals and guys lose ur first week!
No idea how much I lost in the first 7 days because honestly I felt so crap that I didn’t weigh.
I started weighing week 2 and was losing 2 pounds daily until I hit the dreaded stall on day 14.
Lost a total of 3 pounds over the next 3 weeks but now I’m losing around 2.5-3 pounds a month.
Lol, I figure I’m due for another stall in a week or two since I’ve lost 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks

Okay so this week is going to be a hectic one so I weighed this am and I lost 3.2 pounds since last Monday. This brings my total lost post-surgery on 2/6 to 31 pounds.

Which means I’m 31% of the way to goal 🤣🤣🤣

My Dr said to avoid alcohol for the first month. I have since reintroduced it, but to my (pleasant) surprise- I don’t really like it! Wine was my favorite thing on the planet. Very stressful year last year and even without the stress I was known to regularly drink an entire bottle (or more) every night. I have tried a few different types of wine and I just don’t seem like them very much anymore and it takes me over an hour to drink 1/2 a glass. How wonderful is that!?! Tried one cocktail didn’t like it either. And I attempted to drink a sip of beer which I found to be completely intolerable.

I went to the pool on Saturday and some of our (drinking) friends asked me what I had in my water bottle because it was pink. I told them Crystal light. They were like “you’re not drinking?”... Felt good to be on the other side and more importantly not to care. I don’t really miss it at all at this time.