Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Hi guys, I did the sleeve on February 6th and have lost upwards of 25 lbs since then. Something that's worrying me is how easily I can eat all food now, at 7 weeks post-op. True, I can only eat small portions but otherwise I eat like a normal person and can easily drink beer or other carbonated drinks (just very slowly). For example, yesterday for lunch I ate more than half a plate of spinach ravioli. It might be a much smaller portion than pre-surgery, but definitely not a tiny portion!

What's ironic is that just two weeks ago I was depressed because I couldn't eat all my favorite foods or drinks, etc. Now I can, and I do, in small amounts, but I'm afraid of this being a very slippery slope.

And for all the people who are feeling low because of what they can't eat/drink -- you will be able to in the future, and then you'll worry about that too! Lol it seems like there's always a catch 22 to every stage of this.

I have noticed that I am having no problems eating anything I want too. One of my favorites has always been a Chick-fil-A salad and I was afraid to try it knowing that it could be a problem. Monday I ordered one and had no problem eating 1/2 of it, usually I would have eaten the whole thing. I am looking forward to more salads and fresh veggies. Although I am semi retired I still work three days a week in construction and there is absolutely no way I could survive on less than 1000 calories, my stamina is still not good and I find myself sitting down to rest frequently. All of us in this forum has already had their surgery but to others "looking in" my suggestion is to keep it to yourself and your spouse/partner. It's no ones business and if one knows soon 20 will know. We may not like it but people are judgmental and we made a decision that will prolong and improve our lives. The people I needed to socialize with I told that the NUT I was seeing was helping me with food choices since I was having private issues and was trying to eat more sensibly, pretty much no carb etc. BTW we have all noticed how our doctors programs have been different, mine had no requirement to see a NUT.

I am 5 weeks, 1day and can eat anything I want as well, but micro portions. I ate two pieces of well done bacon this morning which is top capacity though (I feel stuffed). I can handle carbonated drinks, but small quantities. Even though I am eating things like fried shrimp and bacon I’m just eating such small quantities I have been consistently losing. I just can’t seem to get more than a 2 shrimp quantity down!

On the disclosure part of this conversation, I told everyone. I work on contract is an independent sales rep so I don’t have coworkers but I told friends, family, my neighbors, random people… I was excited about it and proud I did it. That’s just my personality though. I am pretty much an open book. And I’m a terrible liar so I didn’t want to have to worry about that! I have only lost a little under 25 pounds so no one has really made a lot of comments about my weight loss. When that time comes I will have to see how the conversation plays out....

Sorry you guys were having a bad day but today’s a new one! Hope things go better the rest of your week!

So a question... (with some background first): I think I’m probably the worst post op surgery patient on this forum. I don’t get my adequate Water, I don’t take Vitamins (I use patches), I have skipped about 20 Calcium supplements at minimum, I have been eating basically anything I want for almost 2 full weeks now. Oh and let’s not forget I get no exercise.

That said, I feel better than I have in ages. I am consistently losing about a half a pound a day, give or take. I am moderately active in my regular life just with the day-to-day chores, going on sales calls, etc.

Concurrent with this surgery I have been getting epidurals in my back which have alleviated most of my pain. So I feel pain-free and I feel like I look much better. My energy level has returned and I basically feel normal again - just improved. I am thrilled at how I feel these days. I actually have a very positive attitude as where last year I would say I was almost clinically depressed. I just feel joy now. I am excited to be social again. Last year almost stayed home hundred percent of the time hiding away from the world.

A lot of it does have to do with NOT having that back pain but I just feel positive and optimistic and empowered now. I know my WL surgeon would probably kill me if he knew that I have had alcohol or bacon but it is in such moderation... Come to find out I don’t need a double bottle of wine or 3/4 a package of bacon to make me happy. One glass of wine and one strip of bacon brings me all the joy I need!!!

Do you think I am teetering on that slippery slope or is my attitude about this healthy?

Edited by Everythinganna

On 3/26/2019 at 6:12 PM, Recidivist said:

I'm just over three weeks and have had salmon sashimi twice (including today) with no problems--and it was yummy!

yummmm! I love sashimi! I also started eating my favorite salmon/Tuna Poke salads after 5 1/2 weeks, no problem. I just had to take food home and eat it later, and then again later.

Anna: we all gotta live life and as long as can keep it in moderation I don’t see the problem. Everyone has just come out of a major invasive surgery and *for the most part, recovered and that is something to Celebrate. I had two glasses of wine last night and woke up to a 3.5 lbs weight loss from yesterday morning to today 💁‍♀️

Okay so as of yesterday, I was exactly 7 weeks post-surgery.
I still really can’t eat a lot of food and don’t have anything besides Water til about 10-11 am due to my sleeve being super tight.
Today I drank a 32oz Gatorade 0 and the artificial sweeteners totally gave me weird food cravings, but I was able to ignore them.
Had a bit of chicken tortilla Soup for dinner and tuna salad for lunch. Oh and I had 6 almonds with 6oz milk for a snack.
After the soup at dinner, I felt so stuffed I was miserable (this seems to be a recurring theme), but I probably only had 3/4 cup so it really wasn’t much food.

I’m a bit frustrated that I’ve been following plan pretty precisely and have done loads of exercise and I’m losing right under 3 pounds weekly.
I feel like I should be losing more, but this is a marathon, not a sprint, so maybe month 3 will be my time to shine.
Lol, that’s what I keep telling myself to stay sane anyway.

Today was better than yesterday, but my muscles still feel like they want to cramp up. Had to get out of bed with leg cramps 3 times last night.

Did something really stupid yesterday. I went to see a movie with my daughter, and we had a huge tub of popcorn and I ate a ton of it. It did not give me any problems going down or staying down! However, in the night I had stomach ache, which I'm glad about because I needed some payback! Not going to be doing that again.

I thought I'd blown my diet (that's how I always feel when I mess up, and it's a dangerous place for me to be in as it's normally the point that I give up on dieting), but this morning I stepped on the scales and had lost another 2 lbs. This is either dehydration from all of the salt in the popcorn, or I just got lucky this time. I hope it's the latter.

The great news about the weight loss is that it now puts me in the 'obese' catagory BMI-wise! I haven't been out of the morbidly obese range in YEARS.

I have done both the popcorn and two glasses of wine thing with the same results: weight loss. I do think it is dehydration. No sooner then I posted this long post about how fantastic I feel yesterday I started having major muscle cramping. Again I’m assuming this is all dehydration related so I am trying to force fluids today. I can barely walk right now. Wednesday I had to carry a lot of samples back-and-forth from my car to a clients office. It was the first time I had lifted anything in a few weeks and I had to make probably 10 trips back-and-forth from my car to their conference room. My legs were so sore! I ate half a banana this morning hoping for potassium and now I am sitting drinking drinking drinking. I guess this is all a work in progress to we get to our goal.

8 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Today was better than yesterday, but my muscles still feel like they want to cramp up. Had to get out of bed with leg cramps 3 times last night.

I just saw your comment right after I Posted almost the exact same thing. Do you think this is dehydration related because I was following your posts and you seem to be right on top of the program and getting lots of Fluid.

Hi Sheribear,

I'm averaging about 3 pounds a week as well. I get impatient myself and very frustrated.

But you know what? We should be proud of the 3 pounds. When I attended Weight Watchers way back when, the coach will say "Go to the produce section of your grocery store and lift a 3 pound potato bag". Those are heavy, and we should be proud of our accomplishments, every pound counts!

Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep it up.

I also am losing 3lbs a week and I too am hoping for at least 1 “bigger” loss week ever so often, but so far 3lbs is what I’m losing. I am thankful for steady weight loss though. I have 60 lbs to go until goal, so it doesn’t sound so bad when I think of it like that.

It must be dehydration after I had a couple glasses of wine on Wednesday after my terrible day I was using the bathroom OFTEN. The next morning I lost 3.5 lbs from the day before.

13 minutes ago, Dubchild said:

It must be dehydration after I had a couple glasses of wine on Wednesday after my terrible day I was using the bathroom OFTEN. The next morning I lost 3.5 lbs from the day before.

Did the weight stay off?

317lbs on Wednesday morning, 313 on Thursday and 315 today.. so basically no