Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

On 02/24/2019 at 16:03, TheMarine79 said:

Gabybab. Yes. Nutritionist said prior to surgery that the first 4 days should be clear Protein. However the hospital had me on Protein Shakes. sugar free popsicles and fudgicles
We had diabetic Protein Shakes, sugar free juice, tea and Water in the hospital. I would of loved a Popsicle or fudgsicle. I would love one of those now too hehe.

So, I'm scheduled tomorrow and they did blood work Friday. They just automatically sent me the results. My total co2 is down by 4 points. I'm wondering if this will be a problem?

Probably not. Relax. You’ll be just fine. They will take good care of you unless you go to Mexico! Heard horror stories about people trying to save money there.

I did a enhanced recovery protocol. drank Gatorade the night before and morning of surgery. Was a positive! Felt great afterwards

I have diabetes and I have quite a regimen of medications. I've felt terrible sick on my pre-op diet. I can only imagine how lovely I will feel on Clear Liquids only for 1 week.

6 minutes ago, gabybab said:

I have diabetes and I have quite a regimen of medications. I've felt terrible sick on my pre-op diet. I can only imagine how lovely I will feel on Clear Liquids only for 1 week.

Hopefully they'll get you on the Protein Shakes, they kept my sugars up. They'll have to do something to keep your sugar levels in check. I did 14 days Optifast pre op and then 2 days Water, my sugar was 3.2 before surgery. The nurses kept on top of it when I was on the ward. I would just be sure to voice your concerns about it.

10 minutes ago, BlueIGT said:

Hopefully they'll get you on the Protein Shakes, they kept my sugars up. They'll have to do something to keep your sugar levels in check. I did 14 days Optifast pre op and then 2 days Water, my sugar was 3.2 before surgery. The nurses kept on top of it when I was on the ward. I would just be sure to voice your concerns about it.

My health is not great. I have sustained nerve damage from prolonged uncontrolled diabetes. I'm allowed 2 Protein Bars 2 yogurts and 4oz Protein & 1 cup vegetables. In still sick to my stomach and have had to cut down on my medicine significantly. Tomorrow I will take none. I have to drink 1/2 cup of apple juice tomorrow morning if my sugar is low. I'm not sure what 3.2 means? Maybe you have a different number system? Mine has been running under 100. It's very scary, because sometimes I go low.

3 minutes ago, gabybab said:

My health is not great. I have sustained nerve damage from prolonged uncontrolled diabetes. I'm allowed 2 Protein Bars 2 yogurts and 4oz Protein & 1 cup vegetables. In still sick to my stomach and have had to cut down on my medicine significantly. Tomorrow I will take none. I have to drink 1/2 cup of apple juice tomorrow morning if my sugar is low. I'm not sure what 3.2 means? Maybe you have a different number system? Mine has been running under 100. It's very scary, because sometimes I go low.

Yeah going low is scary. 3.2 is low. If I am looking at the chart right 3.2 would be around 58 and your 100 would be about 5.5. I am glad that you are allowed to have what you are getting and I am sure they will keep you in check with yours after the surgery.

1 minute ago, BlueIGT said:

Yeah going low is scary. 3.2 is low. If I am looking at the chart right 3.2 would be around 58 and your 100 would be about 5.5. I am glad that you are allowed to have what you are getting and I am sure they will keep you in check with yours after the surgery.

I've definitely been in the 50's and it's very frightening.

1 hour ago, BlueIGT said:

We had diabetic Protein Shakes, sugar free juice, tea and Water in the hospital. I would of loved a Popsicle or fudgsicle. I would love one of those now too hehe.

In the hospital I Owas given a sugar-free (sf) popsicle, sf Jell-o, and a very gross chicken broth that was clear (too gross to eat). On day 3, when they discharged me around 7pm, they changed me to "full liquids, " which included fat-free milk (gag), a sf popsicle, and more broth, but this time it had what looked like solids in it (imagine chicken and stars Campbell's Soup). I looked on the "receipt" and it said "pureed soup." I knew I couldn't have pureed food for two more weeks so I asked the nurse to see if they brought me the wrong thing. The doctor on call came in, looked at it, and said "that's fine, you can eat it." I had a little bit, but wasn't quite what the heck was going on..it was obviously chunky. The food service also brought me chocolate pudding, even though they told me the kitchen was out of the sugar-free pudding. I doubted that too so I didn't eat it. Also, my blood sugars were in the 200s the entire time I was in the hospital, which seem to mystify the nurses, even though they only gave me 1 our 2 units of insulin at a time (uh, maybe more insulin?). Finally, not one nurse encouraged me to get up and walk--ever. I knew I had to walk so I started moving as soon as I could. They never told me not to, just never told me I should. Don't get me wrong--the nurses and the patient care staff were super nice and helped me when I needed it, it's just that I was surprised at some of the issues. The hospital is top notch in Northern Virginia, not one I would every question. It has bariatric patients on the floor I was on every day. I am convinced, though, that whatever hospital you are in, you have to be your own patient advocate and just ask if you aren't sure about something--not in an acusatory or bossy way, but in a way that shows you have some concern. I've had other instances in the hospital where they've attempted to give me medicine that was clearly labeled as an allergin on the bright red Bracelet I was wearing at the time. If something seems fishy, ask. They have a lot of patients with various issues and may get distracted. 🙂

Edited by Gottajustdoit

24 minutes ago, gabybab said:

I've definitely been in the 50's and it's very frightening.

As a Type 1 diabetic, I am finding that the most difficult thing to manage post-op is my blood sugars. If I crash, I know I have to take a glucose tablet, but I fear that jolt of a sugar rush will cause me to dump. From what I've read, the symptoms of dumping feel similar to how I feel when my blood sugar crashes (nausea, sweating, shaking). Since I've been out of the hospital, I've had only one low--71. Not too low, but enough to feel the symptoms of low blood sugar (the lowest I've been is 38--horrifying!). I started sipping slowly on a Protein Shake and that brought it up. So I haven't had to take a glucose tablet yet. If I do, well, it is what i need to do, but I am terrified of dumping. I also take Lantus--long-acting insulin--morning and night. But. Hallelujah! I'm taking only 12 units each time instead of 40. THAT is an awesome feeling. As you know....insulin is a miracle worker, but it does store fat. My #1 reason for doing the surgery is so I can drastically reduce my insulin intake. I will always have to take insulin, but I love taking less!

7 minutes ago, Gottajustdoit said:

In the hospital I Owas given a sugar-free (sf) popsicle, sf Jell-o, and a very gross chicken broth that was clear (too gross to eat). On day 3, when they discharged me around 7pm, they changed me to "full liquids," which included fat-free milk (gag), a sf popsicle, and more broth, but this time it had what looked like solids in it (imagine chicken and stars Campbell's Soup). I looked on the "receipt" and it said "pureed soup." I knew I couldn't have pureed food for two more weeks so I asked the nurse to see if they brought me the wrong thing. The doctor on call came in, looked at it, and said "that's fine, you can eat it." I had a little bit, but wasn't quite what the heck was going on..it was obviously chunky. The food service also brought me chocolate pudding, even though they told me the kitchen was out of the sugar-free pudding. I doubted that too so I didn't eat it. Also, my blood sugars were in the 200s the entire time I was in the hospital, which seem to mystify the nurses, even though they only gave me 1 our 2 units of insulin at a time (uh, maybe more insulin?). Finally, not one nurse encouraged me to get up and walk--ever. I knew I had to walk so I started moving as soon as I could. They never told me not to, just never told me I should. Don't get me wrong--the nurses and the patient care staff were super nice and helped me when I needed it, it's just that I was surprised at some of the issues. The hospital is top notch in Northern Virginia, not one I would every question. It has bariatric patients on the floor I was on every day. I am convinced, though, that whatever hospital you are in, you have to be your own patient advocate and just ask if you aren't sure about something--not in an acusatory or bossy way, but in a way that shows you have some concern. I've had other instances in the hospital where they've attempted to give me medicine that was clearly labeled as an allergin on the bright red Bracelet I was wearing at the time. If something seems fishy, ask. They have a lot of patients with various issues and may get distracted. 🙂

I was in for 4 days and I got cleared for the full liquid diet when I went home too. Nothing pureed, seems odd to me too. It's good that you were on the ball though with the pudding and other things because you didn't need your sugar going up any higher. But I believe you are right that we do need to speak up, they weren't going to test my sugar while I was in there but I got them to and it was good that I did. Your experience, all our experiences, can help the others that still have to go in. Definitely when in doubt, ask, that's what they are there for. Like you, if they aren't getting you up to walk, ask them to get you up to walk, etc. It's a very good post.

1 hour ago, gabybab said:

Was your sick feeling headaches? Lightheadedness? I was feeling rotten on pre-op too (with diabetes). Please find some comfort in that you will not feel hungry for a few days after surgery and managing clear liquids is much easier.

2 minutes ago, Gottajustdoit said:

As a Type 1 diabetic, I am finding that the most difficult thing to manage post-op is my blood sugars. If I crash, I know I have to take a glucose tablet, but I fear that jolt of a sugar rush will cause me to dump. From what I've read, the symptoms of dumping feel similar to how I feel when my blood sugar crashes (nausea, sweating, shaking). Since I've been out of the hospital, I've had only one low--71. Not too low, but enough to feel the symptoms of low blood sugar (the lowest I've been is 38--horrifying!). I started sipping slowly on a Protein Shake and that brought it up. So I haven't had to take a glucose tablet yet. If I do, well, it is what i need to do, but I am terrified of dumping. I also take Lantus--long-acting insulin--morning and night. But. Hallelujah! I'm taking only 12 units each time instead of 40. THAT is an awesome feeling. As you know....insulin is a miracle worker, but it does store fat. My #1 reason for doing the surgery is so I can drastically reduce my insulin intake. I will always have to take insulin, but I love taking less!

I'm so sorry. I really hope in the long run this surgery will help you to have better control of your bs. That's so great you are down on your insulin. I take Lantus as well. Before the diet o was taking 72 units at night. I also take metformin and glimeperide.

1 minute ago, gabybab said:

I'm so sorry. I really hope in the long run this surgery will help you to have better control of your bs. That's so great you are down on your insulin. I take Lantus as well. Before the diet o was taking 72 units at night. I also take metformin and glimeperide.

Thanks, Gabybab. Good news! I'm off Metformin too! I hope you can get off your oral meds too. 🙂