Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sophomoreville - A Home For The the Tweeners

22 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Dang girl!!! Maybe we need to get you and @Orchids&Dragons in a hot tub and let you guys simmer for an hour or two with wine and hydration of course (water) and when y'all emerge, your Iron stuff would balance out? :D I'm sorry you're dealing with this too. Do you have to do blood transfusions or do you keep it stable with Iron infusions? ((hugs)) Saying big prayers for you too!!

Just iron infusions

Hi,
So one of my support group members also has hemochromatosis, he said it's commonly a genetic trait if your Irish (unsure of validity). He is RNY 4 yrs post and it just presented. I on the other hand have microcytic anemia, wish I could meet you half way and call it even. [emoji22]
Oh I know someone here in Ireland with haemochromatosis. The Irish also have higher rates of cystic fibrosis and coeliac disease, oddly enough.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

So I guess that's the next topic:
Break through medical issues not necessarily caused/resolved by surgery. WTF and how are y'all handling it? Because I'm pretending every little thing gonna be alright...
I have an awful feeling I've developed a kidney stone post surgery and a quick Google tells me that bypass can increase risk of kidney stone formation.
I've been feeling kidney-stoney for a little while now, and yesterday it started to ramp up. So I'm trying to decide do I cart myself off to A&E, although the scan probably won't be done until Monday, or do I just keep dosing myself up with Panadol and try and flush it through my system. That's if it is a kidney stone. Could be a fibroid acting up hmmmmm...

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

And yet, this is great big bad scary larry stuff you're dealing with along with the other stuff we've talked about over the months since we first met and became friends! ((hugs)) I'm sad to hear this hon!

You know, I read on another board where someone had high blood Calcium levels and it was because she was actually not absorbing her Calcium and it was leeching from her bones. And when she actually upped her calcium and added some other things that you take in order to help the calcium get to where it's supposed to, then high calcium resolved. I hope it turns out to be something like that!!! Saying big prayers over here. When do you go see your kidney doc? Maybe you should research Dr. Fung IF and hemachromatosis? :D Maybe IF is our magic bullet? (But then that's another thread...)

Honestly, I don't think this stuff is so scary. It was for my brother, but probably not for me since I've been donating blood for years. I think I'm over 7 gallons now.

The kidney doc has been waiting it out. Wants to see if having me stop supplements will lower the calcium blood level. Once he started questioning it, though, I started tracking my intake. Other than a couple of yogurts a day, and some in Protein Shakes, I don't ingest much calcium besides when I was taking the supplements. I don't think I was anywhere near the levels where my kidneys shouldn't have been able to remove it. If it hasn't gone down this time I think he'll do more testing.

@GreenTealael Believe it or not, my brother now has to get Iron infusions. They can't get his levels balanced UGH! Sorry you're going through this.

2 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Honestly, I don't think this stuff is so scary. It was for my brother, but probably not for me since I've been donating blood for years. I think I'm over 7 gallons now.

The kidney doc has been waiting it out. Wants to see if having me stop supplements will lower the Calcium blood level. Once he started questioning it, though, I started tracking my intake. Other than a couple of yogurts a day, and some in Protein Shakes, I don't ingest much calcium besides when I was taking the supplements. I don't think I was anywhere near the levels where my kidneys shouldn't have been able to remove it. If it hasn't gone down this time I think he'll do more testing.

@GreenTealael Believe it or not, my brother now has to get Iron infusions. They can't get his levels balanced UGH! Sorry you're going through this.

What! From too much to not enough. He can't catch a break. I'm sorry for him! I'll survive.

I didn’t know I have scoliosis until the barium swallow for VSG, at which point the nurses went “oooooh” audibly from the next room. Not even mild, MODERATE scoliosis, it’s incredibly visible on x-ray. And the more I lose, the more I totally notice that my torso is shifted to the left above my pelvis. It’s very weird.

I didn’t know I have scoliosis until the barium swallow for VSG, at which point the nurses went “oooooh” audibly from the next room. Not even mild, MODERATE scoliosis, it’s incredibly visible on x-ray. And the more I lose, the more I totally notice that my torso is shifted to the left above my pelvis. It’s very weird.
Would you not have developed that as a kid / teen growing up? Or did it develop later?

You would’ve thought it would be caught in elementary school, right? I have to go see a new doc about it - apparently if it develops in adulthood it’s no good. I’m hyper mobile, that might have something to do with it.

ANNOYING.

You would’ve thought it would be caught in elementary school, right? I have to go see a new doc about it - apparently if it develops in adulthood it’s no good. I’m hyper mobile, that might have something to do with it.
ANNOYING.
I didn't even know it *could* develop in adulthood. Please God it doesn't cause you pain or difficulties!

yeah it usually is screened for at age 10, at that age Your bones can be splinted, casted and realigned. Yeah I have scoliosis, lordosis and kyphosis, my spine is pretty much a train wreck. Doctor asked me once "arent you in pain?" I never knew there was any way you were not in constant Pain. I try to cook and keep Tomkitten fed but usually I have to sit down before the end. Hoping the weight loss will lessen the torsion, twisting and pain and the hurt may lessen. of course I still believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the innate goodness of the human race, 1 out of 3 ain't good!.😝🏡😝

37 minutes ago, sideeye said:

Thank you! Don't you wish you could print these out to shove in the face of all the people who've said, "If you'd just watch what you eat and exercise"!

Oh you've been to my family reunions. There is always one who says " The only exercise YOU NEED to push yourself away from the table!" Gosh if it was that easy there would be stack of tables lying on their sides!

IKR - I figure, everyone has a bad personality trait or disease or something they wish they could change about themselves. I'm lucky coz I can have surgery to help me with mine. But there is no surgery for losing your excess a**h***.

14 minutes ago, ummyasmin said:

IKR - I figure, everyone has a bad personality trait or disease or something they wish they could change about themselves. I'm lucky coz I can have surgery to help me with mine. But there is no surgery for losing your excess a**h***.

Lobotomy?