Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Want a Cheese Enchilada.

Here's a bariatric-friendly recipe you could try at home!

One of the things I've been really proactive about doing while I'm still on liquids is trying to find recipes NOW that mimic foods I used to have but are healthier swaps. These are things that my whole family could enjoy in their portion size but at the same time allow me to eat without fear of weight gain. There's lots of great books and websites out there! Spend an hour or two just browsing google and Amazon and you're sure to find some awesome stuff.

I can eat about half of a restaurant sized cheese enchilada with a couple bites of rice and Beans. I just pack it up and take the rest home to enjoy later.

Just a tip on other enchiladas: we make a lot of Tex-Mex at our house and I can eat about a half of just about any type of enchilada. I always try to leave some room for the sides because I love them, even though I might only get a couple bites in.

I found refried Beans, seasoning and melted cheese was a life saver for me. Now seven years out I can eat half an enchilada if I wanted. It's temporary enjoy the ride. It just gets better!

I also made a version of Virginia peanut Soup early on with Peanut Butter, chicken broth and a little cayenne pepper. It helped me when I couldn't do anymore plain broth.

On 10/27/2018 at 4:15 PM, Alesiadavis said:

I had a sleeve procedure on Tuesday, October 23th. Just got out of the hospital today. Had some problems with hematocrit being low.

I hope you are doing better now Alesia! We are in this together!!!! I don't know about you but I CAN'T WAIT FOR Soup. :D

On 10/27/2018 at 8:31 PM, OpsMatt said:

Here's a bariatric-friendly recipe you could try at home!

One of the things I've been really proactive about doing while I'm still on liquids is trying to find recipes NOW that mimic foods I used to have but are healthier swaps. These are things that my whole family could enjoy in their portion size but at the same time allow me to eat without fear of weight gain. There's lots of great books and websites out there! Spend an hour or two just browsing google and Amazon and you're sure to find some awesome stuff.

I could eat this right off the page! You can't know (well maybe you can) how exciting it is to think there will be life beyond the sweet, slimy Protein Shake. Thanks for this!!!

If you're craving savory, you might try Unjury's chicken Soup flavored Protein Powder. I've not tried it myself, but I've heard many swear by it!

18 hours ago, Swimmer said:

I found refried Beans, seasoning and melted cheese was a life saver for me. Now seven years out I can eat half an enchilada if I wanted. It's temporary enjoy the ride. It just gets better!

I also made a version of Virginia peanut Soup early on with Peanut Butter, chicken broth and a little cayenne pepper. It helped me when I couldn't do anymore plain broth.

OOOOOoo THANKS for the Soup idea!!! Sounds FABulous. ..can't wait til tomorrow!!! Will be in the "creamed/blended soup" phase and I will do this recipe!;-)

2 minutes ago, MegPRN said:

If you're craving savory, you might try Unjury's chicken Soup flavored Protein Powder. I've not tried it myself, but I've heard many swear by it!

THANKS!!!! :-)

Of course you will! It’s all about planning, working hard. Every now and then I have a 1/2 slice of pizza or a cookie or part of a burrito. I don’t do it often, I plan my day ahead of time and make sure I get my Protein in and that it won’t mess up my carbs and calories...it’s not an impulsive grab and gobble. Funny thing is, I’m almost always satisfied by just a couple bites of that thing I’ve been thinking about for days! 🙂

yes, you will be able to have it, your body may not like it anymore as I'm learning (10 weeks post today). Things I used to love and crave, my body rejects. which isn't all that bad because it will keep me away from those naughty yummies

So I’m sleeved10/9 and am technically on the purée stage. Well my 15 daughter was pissing me off so bad that I grabbed a snack size kit Kat at her sports and just ate it, literally the last bite I realized what I did. Now my stomach is doing some kinda painful spasms. Crap! I really can’t believe I did that.

Corn or flour tortilla? At six months I can totally eat a corn tortilla based enchilada. Flour not so much.

The first few month I had lots of meals with retried Beans, some ground meat, cheese, avocado and salsa. It’s still one of my go to easy meals. And by lots I mean frequent not so much on the volume.

On 10/29/2018 at 2:28 PM, Anglkrys2 said:

So I’m sleeved10/9 and am technically on the purée stage. Well my 15 daughter was pissing me off so bad that I grabbed a snack size kit Kat at her sports and just ate it, literally the last bite I realized what I did. Now my stomach is doing some kinda painful spasms. Crap! I really can’t believe I did that.

Oh NO that is something I would totally do but now I won't LOL ..but not!!! I hope you are OK!!! I have a 14 year old, an 11 year old and a 17 year old so I get it! How are you now???

17 hours ago, RHCD said:

Corn or flour tortilla? At six months I can totally eat a corn tortilla based enchilada. Flour not so much.

The first few month I had lots of meals with retried Beans, some ground meat, cheese, avocado and salsa. It’s still one of my go to easy meals. And by lots I mean frequent not so much on the volume.

That sounds absolutely DIVINE! I can't wait to be able to eat the Beans, meat, cheese and avocado together sounds right up my alley :D thanks for your reply!!!

On 10/28/2018 at 6:23 PM, Swimmer said:

That peanut Soup sounds delightful!!! I might have to make a "quick" one tonight!