Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't think I'm ready ):

Totally normal to get nervous as surgery gets closer. But honestly the things you think you can’t live without don’t feel that important anymore. I know it seems weird to say you won’t miss alcohol, but I totally you won’t. You’ll be so busy with a million other things, you won’t even think about it.

hey guys,
so i'm feeling really bummed out right now. for the past 5 months i've been really excited to go through with the surgery. i'm now having second thoughts. i don't want to let everyone down that i've told i was getting it but i also don't want to be unhappy and depressed post-surgery. i feel like such a disappointment not only to myself but to my family and friends. they were all so happy and proud of me for doing it, but honestly i don't know if i'm ready right now. i'm only 24 and i do want to lose weight, i've already started eating healthy the past few weeks and lost 10 lbs on my own. i'm just not ready to give up all of these things like caffeine, nicotine, drinking and eating, sparkling Water, the 5% carb and fat rule (which basically everything has more than that in a serving), etc. i feel like maybe i should re start my 6 month weigh-in. on the other hand that's just how i'm feeling right now, everyone has their bad days and today is just one of mine. but i feel like if i don't go through with the surgery i'll always be overweight and that i'll regret not doing the surgery now. has anyone had such mixed emotions so close to surgery?
I wish I could introduce you to my niece. She had bypass surgery in 2012 at the tender age of 20. At 1st she questioned herself about it and now after losing over 200 lbs she wouldn't have it any other way. She's happy she's now able to do things she never thought possible. The crazy thing is she eats like a grown man smoke and still drink alcohol. She has an amazing social life just like a young adult would. So yes you may have to give up the things you love for a short time but soon you will be able and free to do as you please without gaining any weight back. My poor niece wants to gain 10 lbs but can't because every time she put on a few pounds it fall right back off. She is now 26 and she's so in love with the new her.

It's ok to second guess yourself but don't worry about it. You will have your life back sooner than you no it. This time it will be the new healthier smaller you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

This is a life changing decision that takes time to wrap your brain around. Nothing wrong with wanting to try another path.

It took me about 5 years where I was trying the idea on and thinking thru it. I talked to friends and people who had lost 100 lbs with straight diet and exercise, who’d had a lap band the revision to sleeve, plus a couple of normal sleeve. All were honest with me on their struggles, setbacks and what choices they make every day.

I’m only at month 6 and the things to stay away from were already not part of my regular diet pre surgery. I don’t really drink alcohol or soda but giving up apple cider now that’s been hard this fall. I’m still wrapping my head around baking and sweets cause I love to bake.

Take your time to be sure this is truly what you want.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:40 PM, CashmereAndBones said:

hey guys,

so i'm feeling really bummed out right now. for the past 5 months i've been really excited to go through with the surgery. i'm now having second thoughts. i don't want to let everyone down that i've told i was getting it but i also don't want to be unhappy and depressed post-surgery. i feel like such a disappointment not only to myself but to my family and friends. they were all so happy and proud of me for doing it, but honestly i don't know if i'm ready right now. i'm only 24 and i do want to lose weight, i've already started eating healthy the past few weeks and lost 10 lbs on my own. i'm just not ready to give up all of these things like caffeine, nicotine, drinking and eating, sparkling Water, the 5% carb and fat rule (which basically everything has more than that in a serving), etc. i feel like maybe i should re start my 6 month weigh-in. on the other hand that's just how i'm feeling right now, everyone has their bad days and today is just one of mine. but i feel like if i don't go through with the surgery i'll always be overweight and that i'll regret not doing the surgery now. has anyone had such mixed emotions so close to surgery?

I understand what you are going through and everyone has a different experience but for me, my only regret is that I waited until I was 44 to do it. Yes, there is a lifestyle change but it may not have to be as drastic as you think. About 6 Month post op, I started drinking alcohol again, carrfeine, carbonated beverages. The biggest challenge is just learning to adapt to the new way your body tolerates your intake. Best of luck to you!

5 hours ago, Chrissy C said:

5 hours ago, Chrissy C said:

I wish I could introduce you to my niece. She had bypass surgery in 2012 at the tender age of 20. At 1st she questioned herself about it and now after losing over 200 lbs she wouldn't have it any other way. She's happy she's now able to do things she never thought possible. The crazy thing is she eats like a grown man smoke and still drink alcohol. She has an amazing social life just like a young adult would. So yes you may have to give up the things you love for a short time but soon you will be able and free to do as you please without gaining any weight back. My poor niece wants to gain 10 lbs but can't because every time she put on a few pounds it fall right back off. She is now 26 and she's so in love with the new her.

It's ok to second guess yourself but don't worry about it. You will have your life back sooner than you no it. This time it will be the new healthier smaller you.

I'm so glad you said this. I'm 25 with a BMI of 30, and I worry about how restrictive my social life would be. I'm scheduled for Thursday and I can't wait

I'm so glad you said this. I'm 25 with a BMI of 30, and I worry about how restrictive my social life would be. I'm scheduled for Thursday and I can't wait
Congratulations on your procedure. I am having the sleeve done 10/29. I wish I would have done it years ago. I do think about how life will be after. I know I got this and it will be just fine after the first few months.
You will do great as well. Please keep us posted on your progress

On 10/25/2018 at 11:40 PM, CashmereAndBones said:

i'm now having second thoughts.

@CashmereAndBones. I'm 70, and 14-15 weeks post-op. I wasn't ready for this surgery five years ago - felt I would be losing control, would be forced into a cage where I could no longer have what I wanted when I wanted. The thoughts left me angry and rebellious. I wanted to have my coffee, and I love to cook and bake, and I wanted to make the rules for my life. I was in denial Big Time, and unable to see food was in control of me; I was not in control at all !!! At a seminar I learned that obesity is a disease, and that changed my thinking entirely. Being fat was no longer all my fault. If I had some other disease, wouldn't I seek treatment? Well, yes! So why wouldn't I seek help for this disease, too? And all the things I'd have to give up -- well, I learned that would be temporary. Temporary I can live with, I said. So, 100 days post-op I can have coffee, and enjoy it, but don't need to drink it all day long. The first month I had cravings, like pizza. Recently I had pizza and it was a disappointment! My tastes have changed, and that's OK, and I don't miss the things I thought I would. I have fun redoing recipes so they are low cals/carbs and higher Protein. I add protein to everything I eat or drink. This new system is working. Amazing! I also know that if you aren't happy with what you're doing you won't continue doing it. That applies to whatever your decision is - to stay with your current situation, or the decision to have surgery and carve out a healthier lifestyle. I have maybe 10-15 years left, but they will be the best years ever. Keep thinking and talking and reading. You will know when you're ready.

Edited by nibble
typo

On 10/27/2018 at 4:34 PM, RHCD said:

wrapping my head around baking and sweets cause I love to bake. 

@RHCD. I love to cook and bake, too. Are you experimenting in your kitchen laoratory to redo recipes to make them "approved" for your new lifestyle? I have been adding collagen hydrolysate Protein to most things, subbing applesauce for all or part of the oil required in recipes, and using less sugar and my own version of Zing - 1 cup sugar + 2T Sweetleaf stevia gives the equivalent of 2 c sweetness. 1/2 t = 8 calories. Also working with cottage cheese in recipes, too, blended smooth. Really adds a lot of protein, about the same as using greek yogurt. It's an adventure!

On 10/28/2018 at 4:34 AM, RHCD said:

I’m still wrapping my head around baking and sweets cause I love to bake.

Take your time to be sure this is truly what you want.

I love to bake too. About 2 years ago I started a small cake business so now I get my "fix" of baking but I sell it or give it away. My workmates love Mondays and when my partner is on afternoons because they get all the goodies I've made and not eaten now! I generally bake on weekends or when I'm home alone in the evenings and bored.

OP, I really think you're doing the right thing by postponing for now and seeing a therapist to come to terms with your food addiction. Weight loss surgery is a very big life changing decision and one not to take lightly. I do hope the therapy works for you and you're able to break free from unhealthy habits.