Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pound of Cure: My personal experience



Recommended Posts

It was suggested that I start a thread on this topic seeing as I do have first hand experience.

This is the founder of The Pound of Cure, Dr. Matthew Weiner. The link is to his Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrMatthewWeiner

My story started about 4 years ago I would say when I chose to seek out BS (Bariatric Surgery). I first reached out to a different clinic in my state. But I ended up never scheduling my surgery through them. THANK GOD! Ok now fast forward to January 2018. I got on Youtube and started watching videos and doing more research. That is where I found my saving grace! LITERALLY! I reached out to his office and scheduled my consultation. From my very first phone call into the office its been nothing but a positive learning motivating life changing experience. Every person I came into contact with made an impact. They are so helpful.

My first time meeting Dr. Weiner I really didn't know what to expect with only seeing him on Youtube. But I will tell you that he is the same exact person you see in the videos. It is very easy to talk to him and open up to him about questions or concerns. I had to do 6 months of a pre op diet required by my insurance, so we started right off with ways to start changing my diet and how I really look at food. He is very encouraging and prints out step by step suggestions for your entire process. His idea behind Pound of cure really helped me loose 20 lbs before my surgery. If I was struggling with areas of my diet he had many different suggestions on things I can try. You can tell he really speaks from experience. He would ask me what my trouble areas were and gave me different options to try which I wouldn't have tried before. When eating a pound of veggies a day was first put in play it was quite daunting. I enjoy veggies and I thought I ate enough of them but quickly realized that I just needed to tweak a couple things. I feel like my taste buds have changed a few different times along my journey. Even this past week I have noticed changes.

For my surgery with Dr. Weiner. That took place at Oakland Regional Hospital in Southfield MI. Dr. Weiner is part owner of the hospital. EVERYONE there was great. I went home the next day and did great until about 4 days out. My taste buds changed and couldn't take in ANY Protein. So he told me about his smoothies and I was able to do that for a while until I could take in more food. I also had problems with my Vitamins. The taste was absolutely horrible. So he switched me to the capsules. He listened to my struggles and made one suggestion that helped drastically. He really knows and understands what bariatric patients are going through. This program has changed my mindset on food. I now eat for necessity and fuel for the day. I know everyone has different results from the surgery and their program but I do not feel hunger. I most definitely feel when I am full.

I've seen posts that his program leads more towards a vegan lifestyle but not completely. I will say that is true. I had a horrible time with cheese for instance. The crack of all foods right. Well now I no longer eat cheese and if I do I use vegan cheese. He even suggested recipes to make our own. I would never have started eating Beans if it wasn't for him. And my new tummy LOVES beans. Those around me don't but hey I have to eat what I can eat. I can most certainly get by with out eating animal protein and I think anyone after surgery could. I know for me I have chosen to not eat animal protein if I don't have to. I've had chicken for dinner for example and that next morning I felt completely different. I just knew right away what it was. You have to eat what makes you feel good. With his program I get by drinking ZERO artificial protein. No shakes, no powder. I cant stomach the taste. Even the unflavored is a lie. It is flavored. Greens and beans give me life :)

I know every program is different and there are those people that strictly abide by their surgeons word and that is fine. That is clearly also what I do. I am not suggesting you do anything different unless your body is telling you that you need to change something. If something isn't working for you WHY NOT seek out alternative options. Only you know your body. Only you know how you feel and what things feel like in your new tummy. Go with your gut. No pun intended :) I am only speaking my experience and what I went through. If you are in the Michigan area and are looking or someone you know is looking into BS I would say for sure reach out to his office. If you've had complications from a previous BS again I would for sure reach out to his office. He also fixes previous botched surgeries or those with complications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, AshMarie794 said:

It was suggested that I start a thread on this topic seeing as I do have first hand experience.

This is the founder of The Pound of Cure, Dr. Matthew Weiner. The link is to his Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrMatthewWeiner

My story started about 4 years ago I would say when I chose to seek out BS (Bariatric Surgery). I first reached out to a different clinic in my state. But I ended up never scheduling my surgery through them. THANK GOD! Ok now fast forward to January 2018. I got on Youtube and started watching videos and doing more research. That is where I found my saving grace! LITERALLY! I reached out to his office and scheduled my consultation. From my very first phone call into the office its been nothing but a positive learning motivating life changing experience. Every person I came into contact with made an impact. They are so helpful.

My first time meeting Dr. Weiner I really didn't know what to expect with only seeing him on Youtube. But I will tell you that he is the same exact person you see in the videos. It is very easy to talk to him and open up to him about questions or concerns. I had to do 6 months of a pre op diet required by my insurance, so we started right off with ways to start changing my diet and how I really look at food. He is very encouraging and prints out step by step suggestions for your entire process. His idea behind Pound of cure really helped me loose 20 lbs before my surgery. If I was struggling with areas of my diet he had many different suggestions on things I can try. You can tell he really speaks from experience. He would ask me what my trouble areas were and gave me different options to try which I wouldn't have tried before. When eating a pound of veggies a day was first put in play it was quite daunting. I enjoy veggies and I thought I ate enough of them but quickly realized that I just needed to tweak a couple things. I feel like my taste buds have changed a few different times along my journey. Even this past week I have noticed changes.

For my surgery with Dr. Weiner. That took place at Oakland Regional Hospital in Southfield MI. Dr. Weiner is part owner of the hospital. EVERYONE there was great. I went home the next day and did great until about 4 days out. My taste buds changed and couldn't take in ANY Protein. So he told me about his smoothies and I was able to do that for a while until I could take in more food. I also had problems with my Vitamins. The taste was absolutely horrible. So he switched me to the capsules. He listened to my struggles and made one suggestion that helped drastically. He really knows and understands what bariatric patients are going through. This program has changed my mindset on food. I now eat for necessity and fuel for the day. I know everyone has different results from the surgery and their program but I do not feel hunger. I most definitely feel when I am full.

I've seen posts that his program leads more towards a vegan lifestyle but not completely. I will say that is true. I had a horrible time with cheese for instance. The crack of all foods right. Well now I no longer eat cheese and if I do I use vegan cheese. He even suggested recipes to make our own. I would never have started eating Beans if it wasn't for him. And my new tummy LOVES Beans. Those around me don't but hey I have to eat what I can eat. I can most certainly get by with out eating animal Protein and I think anyone after surgery could. I know for me I have chosen to not eat animal protein if I don't have to. I've had chicken for dinner for example and that next morning I felt completely different. I just knew right away what it was. You have to eat what makes you feel good. With his program I get by drinking ZERO artificial protein. No shakes, no powder. I cant stomach the taste. Even the unflavored is a lie. It is flavored. Greens and beans give me life :)

I know every program is different and there are those people that strictly abide by their surgeons word and that is fine. That is clearly also what I do. I am not suggesting you do anything different unless your body is telling you that you need to change something. If something isn't working for you WHY NOT seek out alternative options. Only you know your body. Only you know how you feel and what things feel like in your new tummy. Go with your gut. No pun intended :) I am only speaking my experience and what I went through. If you are in the Michigan area and are looking or someone you know is looking into BS I would say for sure reach out to his office. If you've had complications from a previous BS again I would for sure reach out to his office. He also fixes previous botched surgeries or those with complications.

Many plans are represented and appreciated. We are adults. Do your research of all plans and Value your medical professionals advice. Make your own educated decisions. Be your own amazing!

Edited by skinnylife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AshMarie794 said:

It was suggested that I start a thread on this topic seeing as I do have first hand experience.

This is the founder of The Pound of Cure, Dr. Matthew Weiner. The link is to his Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrMatthewWeiner

My story started about 4 years ago I would say when I chose to seek out BS (Bariatric Surgery). I first reached out to a different clinic in my state. But I ended up never scheduling my surgery through them. THANK GOD! Ok now fast forward to January 2018. I got on Youtube and started watching videos and doing more research. That is where I found my saving grace! LITERALLY! I reached out to his office and scheduled my consultation. From my very first phone call into the office its been nothing but a positive learning motivating life changing experience. Every person I came into contact with made an impact. They are so helpful.

My first time meeting Dr. Weiner I really didn't know what to expect with only seeing him on Youtube. But I will tell you that he is the same exact person you see in the videos. It is very easy to talk to him and open up to him about questions or concerns. I had to do 6 months of a pre op diet required by my insurance, so we started right off with ways to start changing my diet and how I really look at food. He is very encouraging and prints out step by step suggestions for your entire process. His idea behind Pound of cure really helped me loose 20 lbs before my surgery. If I was struggling with areas of my diet he had many different suggestions on things I can try. You can tell he really speaks from experience. He would ask me what my trouble areas were and gave me different options to try which I wouldn't have tried before. When eating a pound of veggies a day was first put in play it was quite daunting. I enjoy veggies and I thought I ate enough of them but quickly realized that I just needed to tweak a couple things. I feel like my taste buds have changed a few different times along my journey. Even this past week I have noticed changes.

For my surgery with Dr. Weiner. That took place at Oakland Regional Hospital in Southfield MI. Dr. Weiner is part owner of the hospital. EVERYONE there was great. I went home the next day and did great until about 4 days out. My taste buds changed and couldn't take in ANY Protein. So he told me about his smoothies and I was able to do that for a while until I could take in more food. I also had problems with my Vitamins. The taste was absolutely horrible. So he switched me to the capsules. He listened to my struggles and made one suggestion that helped drastically. He really knows and understands what bariatric patients are going through. This program has changed my mindset on food. I now eat for necessity and fuel for the day. I know everyone has different results from the surgery and their program but I do not feel hunger. I most definitely feel when I am full.

I've seen posts that his program leads more towards a vegan lifestyle but not completely. I will say that is true. I had a horrible time with cheese for instance. The crack of all foods right. Well now I no longer eat cheese and if I do I use vegan cheese. He even suggested recipes to make our own. I would never have started eating Beans if it wasn't for him. And my new tummy LOVES Beans. Those around me don't but hey I have to eat what I can eat. I can most certainly get by with out eating animal Protein and I think anyone after surgery could. I know for me I have chosen to not eat animal protein if I don't have to. I've had chicken for dinner for example and that next morning I felt completely different. I just knew right away what it was. You have to eat what makes you feel good. With his program I get by drinking ZERO artificial protein. No shakes, no powder. I cant stomach the taste. Even the unflavored is a lie. It is flavored. Greens and beans give me life :)

I know every program is different and there are those people that strictly abide by their surgeons word and that is fine. That is clearly also what I do. I am not suggesting you do anything different unless your body is telling you that you need to change something. If something isn't working for you WHY NOT seek out alternative options. Only you know your body. Only you know how you feel and what things feel like in your new tummy. Go with your gut. No pun intended :) I am only speaking my experience and what I went through. If you are in the Michigan area and are looking or someone you know is looking into BS I would say for sure reach out to his office. If you've had complications from a previous BS again I would for sure reach out to his office. He also fixes previous botched surgeries or those with complications.

Thanks for adding your experience!!! Really appreciate it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Medowsweet said:

You haven't had any dumping with real fruit? Or set point smoothies which contains real blended fruit?

NOT ONCE!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I eat a lot of fruit relative to other bariatric patients and am not a big meat eater (pre or post gastric bypass) and I do not dump, not once; even the occasional dessert does not cause me any issues. YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so glad you have had such a wonderful experience! I didn't see Dr. Weiner, but did see Dr. Laker who works out of the same office. I understand that they're cousins, but not real sure on that.

My experience has also been absolutely phenomenal! The staff there are so friendly, and Dr. Laker has never, not once, rushed me through an appointment. He utilizes the Pound of Cure program for his 6 month pre-op as well, and I found it very easy to follow as well as making complete sense. It was so much easier to take one portion of the new lifestyle we would be adopting and change it at a time, as opposed to changing everything up all at once.

My surgery was almost a month ago and I've had absolutely no problems.... none! I was able to tolerate Water the day of surgery, and then broth and Jello the day after. Only 1 day in the hospital, woohoo!

I've been on puree'd and soft foods for about the last week and dabbled a little with nuts and meats with no issues. I am so very happy that I chose this doctor to move forward with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lemme ask you guyst some questions

1) are you not hungry with less portine? I hear vegetarians don't get the seity that protine-first meat eaters do. I also worry about the blood sugar swings of carbs causing hunger.

2) the set point smoothies were not hard on your stomache early out?

3) do you drink (or is it recommend) green juice? (No fruit, just kale, tomatoe, celery, bell pepper, etc with maybe protine powder early out when you can't eat much to get more nutrition)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this fear of dumping while hiking with my little kid. There are lots of waterfalls around here between 1/2 and 3 mile hikes. Here is something we do often in summer:

Me and my little daughter hike a mile into the forest to a waterfall where we sit on a rock and have our picnic of lettuce wrap (lunch meat, pickle, avacado, Tomato, bell pepper) nuts, and an apple... Then play in the waterfall before hiking back to the car.

I am afraid of engaging in this healthy, wholesome activity and dumping when I'm miles from home and responsible for 1 or more children alone, and becoming too sick to get home or take care of them.

2) I don't like the idea of all the chemicals in the protine drinks. I like the set point smoothies idea, or even just protine isolate with milk or keifer (if tolerated) and a small handful of berries...

Or some green juice (no fruit except maybe tomatoes) with protine isolate.

Something like that

Rather then a lot of aspertame and guar gum etc.

But again I would be scared of dumping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, Medowsweet said:

Lemme ask you guyst some questions

1) are you not hungry with less portine? I hear vegetarians don't get the seity that protine-first meat eaters do. I also worry about the blood sugar swings of carbs causing hunger.

2) the set point smoothies were not hard on your stomache early out?

3) do you drink (or is it recommend) green juice? (No fruit, just kale, tomatoe, celery, bell pepper, etc with maybe protine powder early out when you can't eat much to get more nutrition)

1) I feel ZERO hunger.

2) Set point was ALOT easier on me that artificial Protein ever was.

3) I haven't tried any green juice to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, Medowsweet said:

I have this fear of dumping while hiking with my little kid. There are lots of waterfalls around here between 1/2 and 3 mile hikes. Here is something we do often in summer:

Me and my little daughter hike a mile into the forest to a waterfall where we sit on a rock and have our picnic of lettuce wrap (lunch meat, pickle, avacado, Tomato, bell pepper) nuts, and an apple... Then play in the waterfall before hiking back to the car.

I am afraid of engaging in this healthy, wholesome activity and dumping when I'm miles from home and responsible for 1 or more children alone, and becoming too sick to get home or take care of them.

2) I don't like the idea of all the chemicals in the protine drinks. I like the set point smoothies idea, or even just protine isolate with milk or keifer (if tolerated) and a small handful of berries...

Or some green juice (no fruit except maybe tomatoes) with protine isolate.

Something like that

Rather then a lot of aspertame and guar gum etc.

But again I would be scared of dumping.

I must say I have not had any artificial Protein in weeks. I get all my protein from natural healthy food. I have totally switched to natural organic (when I can) wholesome foods. Nothing artificial or packages or processed. The way I feel is amazing. I have not had one dumping episode and really don't see myself having one. I have been able to stay strong and frankly just want any of that junk. If you know exactly what your eating, and I mean you know what it is an how it was prepared. No processed packaged JUNK I would think you would be fine. I do even eats fruits in raw form and smoothies and do not have any issues. I LOVE spinach, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, shredded coconut (that I keep in the freezer) and a smidge of plain yogurt. A lot of the time I leave the yogurt out. Don't be afraid to play around just eat what your body is telling you it wants. (unless its screaming Mcdonald's LOL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ms.sss

      So my surgery anniversary date is on the 24th of this month, but I had my 1-year follow up early with my surgeon this morning (I have another 1-year followup at the hospital on Monday to get my bloodwork and labs done).
      Anyhoo...my surgeon was very pleased with my results (and so where the office staff apparently, because 3 of the front desk ladies came by my exam room to give me props/high fives/generally gawk at me).
      But get this: he asked if I would be willing to come in for a future photoshoot so that I could be on a poster! And I was all, ummmm....no thanks, LOL.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Today was a really tough day and I turned to food (and a watered down glass of wine). The interesting part was that I felt REALLY full after eating half my go to cheat snack, tortilla chips with cheese. So the GBP is doing its job!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Nomorepasta

      Does anyone know how to change specific info on ur profile ex. Surgery date weight etc. ?..
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      The only way I can tell that I'm losing weight is from the scale and my clothes "getting bigger".
      · 1 reply
      1. nenes78

        When logged in, click on your username up top then choose my surgery, from there choose your option on the left menu. Or click the link https://www.bariatricpal.com/patients/portal/?do=progress

    • GreenTealael

      Still Traveling 😥😌😳😂
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×