Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know my message is long, but please read it. I need help!!

Ohio state University does also, in fact I suspect every Medical College in the Big10 does.😛

Wow! I really feel like I have been done so wrong. I felt in my heart I shouldn't have used this man. I am so angry. Now I have these scares that look awful on my stomach and still didn't lose weight. Now he tells me, there is nothing he can do for me, he don't have to see me anymore. :{

On 10/18/2018 at 21:42, I AM NOT MY SIZE said:

Wow! I really feel like I have been done so wrong. I felt in my heart I shouldn't have used this man. I am so angry. Now I have these scares that look awful on my stomach and still didn't lose weight. Now he tells me, there is nothing he can do for me, he don't have to see me anymore. :{

I had a terrible lap-band surgeon who legit abandoned me after telling me i had a MRSA infection on my port. He was a nightmare and my anger has not yet subsided (it’s been 11 yrs). All I can say is that on the positive side, as awful as he is...him cutting you loose is a GIFT. You don’t need that toxic attitude in your life. I self-paid for my surgeon to mess me up and then ditch me. Take this opportunity to find a better doctor and to calm the doubt.

You’re never going to feel right until you get the endoscopy. Push for it, demand it, settle for nothing less. Until you get that off your mind you will not be ready to move forward fully.

I get my sleeve soonish and I’m sending you all the positive thoughts I can. Keep us posted on this thread. You aren’t alone. xx

On 10/18/2018 at 06:44, I AM NOT MY SIZE said:

Hey guys, my one year was September 19. I went to my surgeon for a check in yesterday, I have gained 11 pounds. I am so disgusted I don't know what to do. He was so ugly to me and non caring. He told me I failed and there was nothing he would do for me. Then he told me maybe I should try Medifast...REALLY!!! I should have followed my first mind and not use him. I told him from the beginning my sleeve wasn't stopping me from eating and if it weren't for the scars I have, I wouldn't think I had weight loss surgery. I asked him did he remove 75% of my stomach, he didn't give a yes or no answer, instead he said the lady I just saw have the same size sleeve you have and she's lost 80 pounds, talk about adding insult to injury! Then he told me he didn't have to see me anymore. How often do you guys that are one year out or more see your surgeon? Is it suppose to be an ongoing thing or just as needed? I'm gonna request an endoscopy be done, I honestly don't think he sleeved me right. I feel so hopeless and like a failure as he said. Since my surgery I only lost 34 pounds and have gained back 11 pounds. My hunger never went away like most people does after surgery. Something is wrong! Should I request the endoscopy through him or my regular doctor? I'm thinking through my regular doctor. Please help me. I need advice.

Sorry you had a bad experience and sorry your doctor shamed you. I am wondering how much weight did you need to lose to begin with? How much are you eating now? Are you sticking to the plan? Dense Protein first, no carbs. No grazing throughout the day. Things of that nature.

1 hour ago, I AM NOT MY SIZE said:

I going to be super honest with you. I feel legitimate hunger and *can* eat like I have zero restriction. It's called eating around your sleeve, and my surgeon did an amazing job.

I don't do it because I'd never lose weight. You can totally eat around your sleeve and feel real hunger and still have a perfect tool. I don't know if that was ever fully explained to you but that's in the past.

Try to focus on how you can move forward, succeed within your current framework and advocate for yourself ( maybe with a new team)

Don't go crazy on conspiracy theories until you have proof. Try to concentrate on the changes you can make, things you can control.

Honestly, there are things I could have done better. But I did not over indulge in any bad habits except the wine drinking. No sweets, no sodas, very little carbs. My thing is my sleeve never stopped me from eating, I stopped myself, but could have easily kept eating a whole plate of food from the beginning. I am going to remain calm until I see what's going on.

2 minutes ago, I AM NOT MY SIZE said:

Honestly, there are things I could have done better. But I did not over indulge in any bad habits except the wine drinking. No sweets, no sodas, very little carbs. My thing is my sleeve never stopped me from eating, I stopped myself, but could have easily kept eating a whole plate of food from the beginning. I am going to remain calm until I see what's going on.

That's why there are nearly universal rules set up. Portion size (1/4 cup- 1/2 cup servings) and time limits (only eating within a 30 min window) as fail safes for when the sleeve does not prompt you to stop.

How are you with those things?

If you have materials from the start of the journey go through those and see what you can start to reintroduce while you wait for testing and results.

Alcohol has a lot of calories. Since you may never feel any restrictions from liquids you can introduce a lot more calories into your diet than you can metabolize effectively eating (or drinking) around the surgery.

But the test will confirm all things.

You said your Dr was mad you gained 11 pounds at your 1 year. But, how much did you lose from beginning to 1 year?

And yes, alcohol has a lot of calories. From the fruit the wine is made with to the sugar.

I have a lapband, but I understand your pain. I want to tell you, failing to lose has many causes--I know, I lived on less than 1000 calories a day for years and never lost an ounce. My lapband didn't help me lose much and my first doctor wouldn't give me a fill. So I found another who did. I am practically wheelchair bound (can only hobble around the house). So I started to lose--slowly. the big help was I didn't regain what I lost.

One thing I've never heard a doctor explain to me is that excessive hunger can be giving you a message. So many diets I went on ended with me lying in bed, weak and starving within weeks. What I didn't realize was that my body was telling me those diets weren't nutritionally what I needed. I've tried low fat-high Fiber, low calorie, vegetarian, all raw salads, lot's of nuts, praying the weight away, self-hypnosis, bodybuilding, lots of exercise...you get the idea. All of them failed because I wasn't listening to my body. When I got so hungry I would eat nails if there was ketchup to put on them, my body was telling me I was on the wrong diet. This isn't a normal,"Gee, that looks tasty." But was more like a weak pathetic cry from my bed that I was dying and had to eat.

I kept experimenting and discovered a ketogenic diet helped, but I gained everything back quickly. As I worked with the Keto diet, I learned I wasn't drinking enough Water, and I wasn't sleeping enough. But the high Protein with lots of greens was definitely a better choice than the others. Then I got the lapband, and the slow weight loss with no restriction was discouraging. But it was a tool. And once I got restriction, I used that tool. I mostly stayed on the ketogenic diet. Lots of protein was just a necessity for me. The fat I ate made the diet more enjoyable.

The lapband made me eat small bites, or I spent days puking. If I got sick, I had to reduce what I ate because sickness caused my stomach to swell, and I puked. Over the last ten years I've lived on the ketogenic diet, except for two years when I lost control, (I gained 50 pounds and found I had cancer. I believe the sugar cravings after being in control so long were a result of the cancer.) Back in control, and the 50 pounds went away. I've managed to lose 160 pounds. Not a large amount, and I still have over 100 pounds to go. But I am happy not to be the woman I was.

I don't know if the ketogenic diet will help you, but I'm sharing my experience to show you have to experiment to find the right diet. And you have to sleep enough to lose weight.

So, get the junk out of your house--the chips, crackers, cake mixes, candy, soda, snack food, juices (fruit juice is just liquid sugar water with a few minerals, eat whole fruit instead), and the alcohol (You can go back to 1 drink a day after you've lost weight). And start the eating pattern you feel best on. Just practice eating a healthy diet for a bit. Don't eat much at a time and keep any easy to snack on food (like grapes or nuts) in the refrigerator. Then start working your tool. go longer between small meals, see what happens when you delete starches, or what foods change how you feel. I had to stop vegetarian because Beans make me uncontrollably hungry(love those beans, yumm, yumm). Your body is unique, and just because you haven't found what works for you doesn't mean you're a failure. It just means you haven't found the balance of diet, sleep and exercise that works for you. The important thing is NEVER GIVE UP.

After 10 years with the band, I'm revising to a sleeve this spring. I love my band, but there is evidence it doesn't do well after 10 years or so. I feel I will do even better on the sleeve.

@mindwingI am so glad you are doing good now and I'm so glad you are ok from the cancer. Thank you for sharing your story. I am making some changes to my life. I know I have to take responsibility as well, but my sleeve does not appear to be working. I decided to take the weekend and clear my mind, then I will hit the floor running Monday and hopefully find another weight loss doctor that will help me. I wish you all the best. Thank you again for giving me inspiration.

I AM NOT MY SIZE,

I really believe you can do it, but it might take time. I hope you can let go of your bad doctor experience. Believe me, being as enormous as I became, I met some doozys. Recently I had to get a new doctor, who mentioned I was "fluffy." I told her I wasn't fluffy, I was fat. But I had lost 140 pounds. I once was the size of small shed and now I'm only the size of a young elephant (who are 200 pounds at birth). One doctor at ER had trouble seeing past the weight several months ago after my stroke. (Yes, I have really gone through a lot.) and another doctor that saw me during the stroke, apparently didn't believe in Fibromyalgia, because he took me off my Lyrica. I'm learning to train them or reject them. And I'd let go of my anger, If a doctor is a cow's anus with his patients, he's bound to be worse at home. And that hurts him more than it hurts us.

If you can go back and start back at the beginning and stay very disciplined in following the rules, I'm sure you will find what works for you.

Be sure to make sure you get enough sleep. Feel free to write me if you have a question.

I thought they follow you for 5 years. I am pre op but this is what my surgeon told me. He is certainly not a caring supportive Dr. Can you transfer to another’s/

Ohio State follows you yearly for Life, University of Michigan does too. Once you're Family, you're Always Family!😝&Forevermore.

I’ve seen people on other threads say that if their surgeon is an ass so what, surgeons are known to be assholes and as long as they’re good at their work who cares about bedside manner.

What you’re experiencing right now is EXACTLY why it matters. I hope you find a great doctor to take his place, and I hope bariatric hopefuls keep in mind: this is going to be a long-term connection that lasts past the surgery, if your doctor is someone you wouldn’t want guiding you through a worst-case scenario? DITCH HIM.