Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Get your piece of the 9 Million Dollar Premier Protein Lawsuit!



Recommended Posts

A class action lawsuit was filed against Premier Nutrition Corporation alleging it misrepresented the amount of Protein contained in its “Premier Protein” branded ready-to-drink protein products and Protein Bars. They just settled for $9 Million. You can get up to $40 if you've purchased Premier Protein over the last few years. Visit https://www.proteinshakesettlement.com/ for more details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a huge fan of Premier Protein, to begin with. This is what one of my bariatric surgeon friends posted about Premier Protein.

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 9.54.59 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will still be people that defend it..l just like GENEPRO after that lawsuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

There will still be people that defend it..l just like GENEPRO after that lawsuit.

Hey I love coffee creamer , I mean Premier Protein

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

It's total trash nutrition, everyone knows it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for sharing this information. I drank 2 of these shakes every day for the first month after surgery, and one every day thereafter. I really relied on them to meet my Protein goals after surgery. I hope everything heals up ok [emoji31]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex, I have to strongly disagree with your bariatric surgeon friend on the bioavailability of caseinate to weight loss patients. Caseinate is absorbed affectively in the small intestine,,,and provides a steady stream of blood amino acid levels all day....rather than whey...which has more rapid absorption, but spikes your levels dangerously. Would whey be any better? No.

That said...as you know....I'm careful with the use animal Proteins in general because of the associated risks of cancer, heart disease, and early mortality in people under 65. Consuming vast quantities of milk Protein under any circumstance is just a bad idea.

Tofu, refried Beans, potatoes, nut butters....great choices Pea protien powder with brown rice protien powder. Lot of healthier safer options.

Is Premier Protien a horrible product? It's about as horrible as the nutrition advice of most bariatric clinics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Alex, I have to strongly disagree with your bariatric surgeon friend on the bioavailability of caseinate to weight loss patients. Caseinate is absorbed affectively in the small intestine,,,and provides a steady stream of blood amino acid levels all day....rather than whey...which has more rapid absorption, but spikes your levels dangerously. Would whey be any better? No.

That said...as you know....I'm careful with the use animal Proteins in general because of the associated risks of cancer, heart disease, and early mortality in people under 65. Consuming vast quantities of milk Protein under any circumstance is just a bad idea.

Tofu, refried Beans, potatoes, nut butters....great choices Pea protien powder with brown rice protien powder. Lot of healthier safer options.

Is Premier Protien a horrible product? It's about as horrible as the nutrition advice of most bariatric clinics.

The lawsuit is not by the person Alex quoted, nor is it about the types of Proteins included, it's about the fact that, from testing, the product *did not contain the advertised 30 grams of protein* regardless of the type, there was not 30 grams of Protein in the product. So it's a false advertising issue not a protein type issue.

I use casein protein as well as whey myself, just wanted to highlight that the real reason for this lawsuit isn't protein types or absorption rates, it's about the product not containing the amounts that are listed on the package itself.

Edited by Matt Z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Matt Z said:

The lawsuit is not by the person Alex quoted, nor is it about the types of Proteins included, it's about the fact that, from testing, the product *did not contain the advertised 30 grams of protein*

It was a petty lawsuit with a crappy payout. Premier Protein cares as much about 9 million dollars.... as I do about spending $4 on a Starbucks. They also deny wrongdoing or misleading advertising.

Why do I say it's petty? How is this possible?

The plaintiff spent a bunch of money testing a bunch of shakes. A few were found to contain between 26.9 grams and 28.34 grams....instead of the promised 30g. A few were also found to contain a bit more than 30g. Most contained 1g one side or the other....of the promised 30g.

World Shattering, huh?

The reality is....if you drink these damned shakes as often as the typical bariatric dieter....you're getting on average roughly 30g per shake...even if one or two of your shakes comes up short a gram or two. Who is "injured" by this?

It's petty and pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

It was a petty lawsuit with a crappy payout. Premier Protein cares as much about 9 million dollars.... as I do about spending $4 on a Starbucks. They also deny wrongdoing or misleading advertising.

Why do I say it's petty? How is this possible?

The plaintiff spent a bunch of money testing a bunch of shakes. A few were found to contain between 26.9 grams and 28.34 grams....instead of the promised 30g. A few were also found to contain a bit more than 30g. Most contained 1g one side or the other....of the promised 30g.

World Shattering, huh?

The reality is....if you drink these damned shakes as often as the typical bariatric dieter....you're getting on average roughly 30g per shake...even if one or two of your shakes comes up short a gram or two. Who is "injured" by this?

It's petty and pointless.

I wasn't defending the lawsuit... nor was I supporting it or anything other than providing the information from the lawsuit itself. This post seems a little pointed and directed at me... for no reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask yourself this.

How often does Joe Citizen have cases and cases of his favorite nutritional supplement tested at a lab...where he then cherry picks the results and goes to court?

If I seem ornery, Matt, I'm not ornery with you...

This whole thing blatantly stinks of a competing brand playing dirty...and that angers me.

Premier Protein and all whey products....in my opinion, are cancer waiting to happen...so I don't care for them personally. Any of them.

But I will say that PP is the most palatable of the ready made products I've tasted. It's an extremely successful product that is raking in cash...and its competitors are not happy that so many people prefer it. It's particularly preferred in the bariatric crowd, that as you know has a massive growing market demographic.

My advice to competitors: Fix your products. Make them more palatable. Don't pursue this underhanded nonsense.

People buying into the sensationalism....is sad and irritating.

I apologize if my angst seemed in any way directed at you, Matt. It was not.

Edited by Creekimp13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked at ingredients of Premier Protein shakes on their website:

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.51.59 PM.png

It's been years since I've looked at the ingredients. Essentially, it's just like drinking regular milk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2018 at 7:10 AM, Matt Z said:

The lawsuit is not by the person Alex quoted, nor is it about the types of Proteins included, it's about the fact that, from testing, the product *did not contain the advertised 30 grams of protein* regardless of the type, there was not 30 grams of Protein in the product. So it's a false advertising issue not a Protein type issue.

I use casein protein as well as whey myself, just wanted to highlight that the real reason for this lawsuit isn't protein types or absorption rates, it's about the product not containing the amounts that are listed on the package itself.

I think the difference between this and GENEPRO is the level of inaccuracy. Premier was found to have 26-29 g of protein, vs. the claimed 30 g. That is not a HUGE discrepancy like Genepro. Additionally Genepro promotes all this IMO, fake science about medical grade protein etc..

I'd be curious to know more about the 26-29 g of protein range. If it was mostly in the 26 g range, then that's more of an issue. If it was mostly in the 29 g range, that' an entirely different story.

Edited by sillykitty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I think the difference between this and GENEPRO is the level of inaccuracy. Premier was found to have 26-29 g of Protein, vs. the claimed 30 g. That is not a HUGE discrepancy like GENEPRO. Additionally Genepro promotes all this IMO, fake science about medical grade protein etc..

I'd be curious to know more about the 26-29 g of protein range. If it was mostly in the 26 g range, then that's more of an issue. If it was mostly in the 29 g range, that' an entirely different story.

I should have read through the entire thread before posting the above.

Having a range of values for anything on a nutrition label is completely normal. That is just a part of the food manufacturing process.

I agree that this is a bs lawsuit. This does not rise to the level of false advertising IMO.

On a separate note, I also disagree that casein is inappropriate for WLS patients, and that whey is superior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I should have read through the entire thread before posting the above.

Having a range of values for anything on a nutrition label is completely normal. That is just a part of the food manufacturing process.

I agree that this is a bs lawsuit. This does not rise to the level of false advertising IMO.

On a separate note, I also disagree that casein is inappropriate for WLS patients, and that whey is superior.

Casein might be OK for gastric sleeve patients after the post op liquid phase. It’s most definitely NOT ok for gastric bypass or DS patients. See Dr. Rollers post above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      Me: Hey Siri, Is it raining outside? (for my morning walks with the dogs)
      Siri: I don't think it's raining at the moment.
      Wet Dogs: Then why are we wet? This damn Siri person is more stupid than we are.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Billy Bob  »  lvidacovich

      Drink Muscle Milk. lol  Gt 60 to 90 gm quality Protein & daily vitimins, good sleep, walking & resistant ( weight /bands/squats ) You absolutely build muscle. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      I received my nutrition book and checklist today! I am so very excited (and a tad bit scared too) Each day this is becoming a reality!
      I created a new blog post about how BRAVE we all are for doing this. Because I think we are! Most of us know the horrors of people calling us nasty names, saying we can't control ourselves, we are easy targets for people's verbal attacks! But I feel we are BRAVE because we are taking control over our lives and creating a new world of happiness.

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      Today I scheduled my mental evaluation and my nutritionist appointments. Yes, we are moving along quiet nice.  December 9th will be here before you know it.
      I have informed my inner circle of family about the surgery and I will be keeping it in my CORE!

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • drac2you

      Well, it has been a while since I posted here, but my journey continues. As for breaking my stall, I was able to get down to 214 with the help of a friend via our Fitbit fitness trackers which has made me ecstatic! Since that has happened I was fortunate enough to have my insurance company approve a panniculectomy to remove the panniculus (THIS is the correct term, NOT pannus, see this reference: https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/panniculus) that has been deviling me for years, even before I had bariatric surgery. It was to the point that it was hanging down far enough to cover my pubic area, covered half my thighs when I would sit, and also drooped between my legs which I could hardly manage to keep together when sitting. For any males that may read this, for a woman that is pretty uncivilized, not to mention, unladylike especially when wearing a dress or skirt - just looks slovenly to say the least. Despite the numerous skin issues I had the last couple of years, my health insurance insisted the procedure was cosmetic... 🤐 . I would guess no one that is saying so has been in the bariatric patient's shoes. The damn thing was just getting to be a self-esteem killer in addition to a medical nuisance requiring many visits to my primary care physician, and interfering with my mobility. Now, I realize there are folks with more egregious panniculus sag issues, but the fact that it interferes with mobility is an important consideration.
      One thing I have to say is that this surgery is drastically different from any other I've had. Things occur that are deemed routine, expected even, after a panniculectomy that would be downright unacceptable after any other procedure. This plastic surgery experience is definitely a learning experience that is still unfolding as I key this entry. For one thing, the swelling is a story all it's own, I had no clue my abdomen could get so large, so quickly, without causing my skin to just split open - it's crazy! So far, I'm pleased to have been able to get this procedure despite may be perceived as drawbacks, just to get the pendulous adipose tissue demon off of my person. Here are a few links to information about this procedure for anyone considering it in the future:
      https://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/panniculectomy/ https://www.healthline.com/health/panniculectomy https://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/tummy-tuck/panniculectomy/ https://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/panniculectomy/safety https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499822/ I hope you find this information helpful. I will provide updates periodically on my progress of this surgical recovery. Have a wonderful day! 
      · 2 replies
      1. Panda333

        Thank you and good luck to you!

      2. SabrinaGoddess

        WOW, thank you for sharing all this with us!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×