Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will the hair loss stop?

I'm almost 8 months out and I'm still losing some hair. It has decreased significantly though. I haven't noticed regrowth yet but am looking forward to it!

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, elcee said:

Lysine is the stuff that is found in red foods such as tomatoes

You're thinking of Lycopene :)

L-lysine is known to reduce the severity of cold sores; I have found I don't get them at all if I take a few thousand mgs if I feel a lip tingle. I take it whenever I feel a little "meh"

Oops!!!

The problem I have with cold sores is they always seem to develop in the middle of the night. By the time I wake up its too late to do anything

On 09/27/2018 at 23:32, elcee said:

Oops!!!

The problem I have with cold sores is they always seem to develop in the middle of the night. By the time I wake up its too late to do anything

Put table salt on them.. as soon as you notice them.. stings for a minute and gone by the end of the day!

Most cures depend on you treating them as soon as you notice a tingle, as I said above mine develop overnight so that doesn’t help.

As for salt it is about as effective as surgical spirits, toothpaste, deodorant, vegemite and countless other home remedies. The most effective thing is the antiviral medication but again it depends on it being taken early enough.

For me the best cure seems to have been getting older, I don’t get anywhere near as many as I used to. Maybe it’s because I’m less stressed, don’t spend as much time in the sun or am no longer menstruating , who knows?

The worst part of a cold sore though is never the actual sore, it’s the healing process. Suddenly having blood dripping down your face as the sore tightens and heals is not a good look!

Stupid question, but do you lose hair everywhere or just on your head? I am not super-furred there but I think it would be bad to wash down below and have,it all slough off. And no I never,joined the shave,itbald clan.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:32 AM, elcee said:

Oops!!!

Abreva

On 9/28/2018 at 6:52 PM, elcee said:

Most cures depend on you treating them as soon as you notice a tingle, as I said above mine develop overnight so that doesn’t help.

As for salt it is about as effective as surgical spirits, toothpaste, deodorant, vegemite and countless other home remedies. The most effective thing is the antiviral medication but again it depends on it being taken early enough.

For me the best cure seems to have been getting older, I don’t get anywhere near as many as I used to. Maybe it’s because I’m less stressed, don’t spend as much time in the sun or am no longer menstruating , who knows?

The worst part of a cold sore though is never the actual sore, it’s the healing process. Suddenly having blood dripping down your face as the sore tightens and heals is not a good look!

The virus usually become more dormant the further from infection, but Abreva is FDA approved and proven to shorten healing time.

Other natural remedies that work well are not usually topical or as swift acting so those require planning and consistency.

Edited by GreenTealael

Abreva is truly a good thing, before I knew about it I used CampoPhenic to dry it down, and age may slow down cold sores frequency, but I just healed from a doozy at 72. Looked like Edward. Shissorhands had washed around my mouth, maybe a little run-down trying to heal from my surgery?

Crazy suggestion, but if the remedies suggested do not work, it may not be a cold sore. For years I thought I had an awful problem with cold sores... I tried everything. Prescriptions, home remedies, abreva, lysine supplements, etc. You name it and I tried it.

Come to find out, I really was dealing with various forms of cheilitis caused by a variety of things like food allergies, sunburns, chapped lips, licking my lips, etc. Once I figured out what caused my flare ups, it got much easier to prevent them/heal them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread! I have been very lucky to be able to avoid cold sores by taking L-Lysine, topical treatments really don't do much for me. Everyone is different, but feedback is very helpful!

Back to the original topic, I am curious about Frustr8's question as well! I'm also curious if "most" bariatric patients are experiencing Hair loss or is it mainly bypass patients?

So far it sounds like I should take Biotin and l-lysine to help prevent hair loss, but I understand there's no guarantee. From what I've been reading, doctors aren't entirely sure why hair loss is so common, but it has to be the extreme diet change, it must shock the system.

My initial consults are booked for 10/30 so I'm I am reading everything I can in order to be prepared!

I have a band and have never had any Hair loss issues. One of my friends that is sleeved does.

OK, getting back to my original question,..😉

Is there anyone out there who has had significant Hair loss and can tell me how long it lasted, how long it took for new growth to begin, and how you dealt with the new growth/uneven lengths?

Thanks!