Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For all who need a kick up the butt!

@neversaynever I love this article so much and I agree with every word. Thank you for sharing it 🙌🏾

Great article! This especially:

13 minutes ago, Neversaynever said:

Success comes with a backbone, NOT a wishbone!

I might have to needlepoint a sampler!

This surgery is a gift

A gift now? Not a tool? ;)

(I personally think it's a surgical therapy that every obese person should be able to get if there are no contraindications but that opinion doesn't seem to be exactly en vogue.)

13 minutes ago, summerset said:

A gift now? Not a tool? ;)

(I personally think it's a surgical therapy that every obese person should be able to get if there are no contraindications but that opinion doesn't seem to be exactly en vogue.)

Depends on perspective. I look on it as both a gift and a tool. Of the millions who want or need the surgery, I was actually able to receive the surgery. It's changed my life and actually given it back. I've very grateful to the tool/gift and team that did the surgery and have been my support along the way. :)

11 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Depends on perspective. I look on it as both a gift and a tool. Of the millions who want or need the surgery, I was actually able to receive the surgery. It's changed my life and actually given it back. I've very grateful to the tool/gift and team that did the surgery and have been my support along the way. :)

I consider it a gift for the exact same reasons. Many others are not as fortunate.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

53 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I consider it a gift for the exact same reasons. Many others are not as fortunate.

My oldest son is 500+ lbs and I partly blame myself for not teaching him good eating habits when he was young. He is in his late 20's and desperately needs WLS. He is married with a 4 year old son of his own and I want to help him break this cycle by (me) going through this surgery and changing my eating habits in hopes that he will follow suit. I share with him something every day that I've learned about WLS and he is getting motivated. It's all a matter of money and or acceptance from insurance witch he has neither. If a person has the means to get this surgery and change their life, it is definitely first a gift and secondly a tool.

@Ed_NW does your son qualify for medicaid? Medicaid pays for bariatric surgery. Is he married? If not doesn't the ACA allow him to be on your insurance until age 26? Can he move to a nearby state that mandates insurance cover bariatrics? He is young enough to recover from moving/ changing jobs after he gets surgery to do everything possible to get surgery. Good luck to you both.

2 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

@Ed_NW does your son qualify for medicaid? Medicaid pays for bariatric surgery. Is he married? If not doesn't the ACA allow him to be on your insurance until age 26? Can he move to a nearby state that mandates insurance cover bariatrics? He is young enough to recover from moving/ changing jobs after he gets surgery to do everything possible to get surgery. Good luck to you both.

He is married and has a 4 year old son. He does have a good paying job but no insurance. He has a mortgage and is settled in where he currently lives. He's actually the one that told me that there is a lot of people that get this surgery done in Mexico at an affordable cost. I've done a lot of research and am just recently becoming more comfortable with the idea of him getting it done there. He personally knows a few people that had their surgery done there and everything turned out fine. I think he's leaning in that direction.

And I also consider it a gift, a present I thought was unavailable to me. You see I am 72 and 2/3 years old. I was afraid life had passed me by, I was doomed to die obese , lonely and in pain. Then I heard of the lifeline of Bariatric surgery, was I strong enough to grab a hold on that line or let it go by like some things in my,life had? But I reached out trembling in August 2015, and although many twists, turns, roadblocks ensued. last Wednesday at 7AM my RNY,bypass was done, God Bless Dr Needleman and even more bless the principles of Bariatric medicine that gave me a chance I almost missed out on. As I recover, I am a little sore from,my 5 little holes and the intestinal prodding that went on. But,it friends, it is bare-able, every day that passes I will regain more strength, my days changed from gray and dismal to sunny and full,of hope.FYI,I did it under Medicare and Medicaid no deductables, no co-pays. Things are going to be good for even great grandma aged person. if I can rock it all you youngsters should be able to, come join me, Frustr8 in the journey of life!

This article...HELL TO THE YES!

Edited by Screwballski

GREAT article. So much truth. Thank you @Neversaynever for posting it!!!

If I tried saying what the writer did It would come off in such a different way. In my head it would sound exactly like they wrote it but whoever I said it to would hate me because of the way it came out. Copy/paste the link to this anytime a new post on the issues mentioned is made.

10 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

I was getting this surgery by hook or by crook... I was not falling down at the mercy of insurance companies. I don't know who does but they should fight harder/smarter...

7 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

And I also consider it a gift, a present I thought was unavailable to me. You see I am 72 and 2/3 years old. I was afraid life had passed me by, I was doomed to die obese , lonely and in pain. Then I heard of the lifeline of Bariatric surgery, was I strong enough to grab a hold on that line or let it go by like some things in my,life had? But I reached out trembling in August 2015, and although many twists, turns, roadblocks ensued. last Wednesday at 7AM my RNY,bypass was done, God Bless Dr Needleman and even more bless the principles of Bariatric medicine that gave me a chance I almost missed out on. As I recover, I am a little sore from,my 5 little holes and the intestinal prodding that went on. But,it friends, it is bare-able, every day that passes I will regain more strength, my days changed from gray and dismal to sunny and full,of hope.FYI,I did it under Medicare and Medicaid no deductables, no co-pays. Things are going to be good for even great grandma aged person. if I can rock it all you youngsters should be able to, come join me, Frustr8 in the journey of life!

I think it's time for a new name...