Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain, Not Enough Weight Lost 1 year post surgery Depressed

I’m feeling a little depressed of lately and have been eating my emotions away.. I’m 1 year post gastric sleeve i only lost a total of 70lbs i was hoping to loose at least a 100 or more based on most people i know lost 100 or more. I only lost 70 but i know why because I’ve been eating off way off...

In addition i gained like 6-7lbs i was 268 now I’m 274.i started at 243 I have to get back in track i got really excited that i can eat and been snacking on a lot of nuts plus i wanna work out more haven’t done it consistently since surgery.. i also wanna do the Keto diet have anyone tried keto or intermittent fasting after gastric sleeve...

I know i ‘m my own downfall when it comes to my diet!!!!

I’ve been thru so much with surgery and complications i dont wanna gain it back i need some motivation and some inspiration...

Feeling so defeated

You can do this! Time to focus! Be your own cheerleader! Just think about what you might be able to accomplish in the next year!

I hear you. He're's my 2 cents. We are all different. Your body is unique. It may take several tools to get where you want to be. The sleeve is one tool. You will need more tools, but the sleeve will help. I've been doing intermittent fasting maybe 2 or 3 days a week on the 8:16. I start eating at 8:00 and stop at 4:00. I think it is helpful. Also I have recently decided to (per my Nuts advice) cut out the fruit and lower the amount of cheese and nuts. Another tool I have just started using is tracking. So far, I'm using it more to learn where most of my calories are coming from (cheese and nuts). It's informative to say the least and we can use all the information we can get. You need to stop, and spend some time reflecting. Be honest with yourself about what is perpetuating the gain and devise a plan to make changes you want to make to get the results you want. Things I have started to do and am seeing small, but encouraging results. You can do this.

I don't know if this helps or not but if you were only able to lose a half- POUND each week, at the end of a year you would be 26 pounds lighter. Now let's say you decided to lose 2 pounds a month, which isn't impossible, 24 less pounds of YOU,looks pretty good also. Do it week by week, do it month by month, either way it's doable. You,knew how to do it when you first got your sleeve, didn't you?

Thank you guys i will most definitely start logging and being a little more health conscious.... @ivgottbelower i eat a lot of nuts lots of it and that may be my issue right there.... imma start watching my portions more as well I’ll try the IF like 2 days a week and see how it works thank u all for your encouragement and ideas i have been feeling so defeated lately thank u

20 hours ago, shalove said:

I’m feeling a little depressed of lately and have been eating my emotions away..

Why not start with adressing this problem instead of turning to IF and "portion control"?

Edited by summerset

Sometimes we feed the emotions, sometimes the feeding (and subsequent weight gain) leads to emotions. Your best tool to combat both scenarios is simply learning to separate food from emotions...which is way easier said than done. Sometimes I’ll down countless calories before I even realize I did it and usually just because I was bored or anxious. Personally, I’m working on mediation techniques and making a habit of planning and counting everything that goes into my mouth. If it’s not on my plan, what reason am I eating it? meal plans are best made when you’ve got your best self in mind - Let the thoughtful, self-loving side of you decide what to eat...That way when you’re feeling impulsive and reaching for a snack it’s the perfect red flag. Then you can stop and evaluate - Am I in the right state of mind make this food decision?Am I hungry or am I (insert emotion here)? Is this food serving my goals? If you can answer those honestly and favorably, eat away! If not, delve a little deeper...But sometimes I'm way too caught up that I just have to walk away and do something else for a bit. I can revisit it later. Sometimes I have literal arguments with myself in my head over what to eat...it’s amazing the excuses I come up with, lol! Just take it one day, one meal, one bite at a time! You got this!

Hello, I am a new member. I'm about 3 months post op. My heaviest was 320lbs. About 2 weeks ago, I was 222lbs. (so close to the 100lbs down club) I wanted to be 219/220 by the end of Aug. Instead, I've gained 7lbs. I haven't been eating a lot and I work out practically every day for no less than 3hrs. The problem is that I got cocky. I started eating high calorie items I know I shouldn't have. Now, I'm so depressed about it and afraid that I won't meet my end of year goal of 199 or less. You guys have given some good advice here. Hopefully, I can get back on track. Pray for me please.

On 08/30/2018 at 10:16, MoDimples said:

Hello, I am a new member. I'm about 3 months post op. My heaviest was 320lbs. About 2 weeks ago, I was 222lbs. (so close to the 100lbs down club) I wanted to be 219/220 by the end of Aug. Instead, I've gained 7lbs. I haven't been eating a lot and I work out practically every day for no less than 3hrs. The problem is that I got cocky. I started eating high calorie items I know I shouldn't have. Now, I'm so depressed about it and afraid that I won't meet my end of year goal of 199 or less. You guys have given some good advice here. Hopefully, I can get back on track. Pray for me please.

Praying! You can do this sister!