Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy Tuck without Muscle Reconstruction



Recommended Posts

Has anyone had a Tummy Tuck without muscle reconstruction? Due to an incisional hernia repair I had 22 years ago, I'm not a candidate for muscle repair. One surgeon said that in pulling the muscles tight, it would make the mesh covering my hernia repair act like an accordion and cause chronic pain. However, I desperately want to rid myself of my abdominal overhang for a slimmer look in my clothes. I realize I might not have as tight of a stomach without the muscle repair, but I think it will make a world of difference to remove "the blob." I'm going in for a second consultation with a different surgeon next month. Anyone have this same issue?

Edited by Strivingforbetter
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Strivingforbetter said:

Has anyone had a Tummy Tuck without muscle reconstruction? Due to an incisional hernia repair I had 22 years ago, I'm not a candidate for muscle reconstruction. However, I desperately want to rid myself of my abdominal overhang for a slimmer look in my clothes. I realize I might not have as tight of a stomach without the muscle repair, but I think it will make a world of difference to remove "the blob." I'm doing in for a second consultation with a different surgeon next month.

Abdominoplasty without muscle reconstruction is an option. When you speak with your surgeon, just be very clear and definitive that you ONLY want the Abdominoplasty and no muscle reconstruction. It's your surgery, it's your money, if you don't want that done and there isn't a pressing medical reason to do so, it's not required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Matt, you were really quick on your reply! You even grabbed my typos before I could correct them. I think I was really surprised that the first surgeon I went to didn't even suggest the Abdominoplasty without muscle repair. I left his office feeling so deflated, but the next morning I started rethinking things and searched for other options. I'm interested to see what this second surgeon says. One thing is for sure, I didn't feel confident in the first surgeon. This other option should have at least been discussed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Strivingforbetter said:

Wow, Matt, you were really quick on your reply! You even grabbed my typos before I could correct them. I think I was really surprised that the first surgeon I went to didn't even suggest the Abdominoplasty without muscle repair. I left his office feeling so deflated, but the next morning I started rethinking things and searched for other options. I'm interested to see what this second surgeon says. One thing is for sure, I didn't feel confident in the first surgeon. This other option should have at least been discussed.

Yeah, I can understand that! It's tough when the docs leave things off the table for whatever reason, I always go in fully armed with every question, if it doesn't come up, I make sure it does. I've been researching this recently myself, even though I've got a long ways to go before I'm eligible for this surgery, I do a lot of abdominal exercises already so I wasn't really keen on the muscle tightening portion of the surgery either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Matt Z I'm a planner, so I wouldn't get this done until next summer. I also want to try and lose another 10-15 pounds before then, but I want to know my options and pricing. I've considered going to Mexico to save costs, but it scares me to death. My luck, I'd be one of those patients who ends up on a TV show of plastics gone wrong. Anyway, thank you for replying. Glad to see I'm not the only one considering this option. By the way, there is a surgeon in Texas who feels that the muscle reconstruction is actually not really necessary and unduly painful for the patient. He always does tummy tucks with the repair. I thought that was interesting.

Edited by Strivingforbetter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing about hernia mesh repairs, but 2nd opinions are always a good idea. Good luck with your inquiries and keep us posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had an Abdominoplasty with no tightening due to previous hernia repairs :-)

I had my hernia repaired normally - Without mesh - Then it came back in 2007 - So the second time it was repaired with mesh.

Then a few years after the hernia was fixed I had my Inverted T tummy tuck...... The surgeon said he tried to see what he could do - But had he repaired the muscle I would have been left with a lump down the middle. So he did not repair that - I am very happy! - There was virtually no pain after the op - Just tightness for a few days...

And that happened in 2010 and I am as happy today as I was after the op!

I attach a pic taken not long after the op...

Belly270311-02.thumb.jpg.231c876fb8d44606a3dbd3eec8fc4b25.jpg

And one of more recently... (2017 I think this one was)

bellyforyou.jpg.b0d14a94acb242601708f7a08c21fc09.jpg

I have noticed that a lot of belly buttons after surgery look like cats bums... lol

Here are two pre-surgery pics...

5b7475296ed31_Belly020610.jpg.9d57474383f4f44cf4f6bdb125000fe6.jpg

5b74828890705_BellyBeforePic.thumb.jpg.8cc358c1a7b0eae4c96c549ca489f035.jpg

I really hope that this helps. Take these pictures with you to show the Dr if you need to - My mesh is quite large - 15cm x 20cm it said on a piece of paperwork I have - Unless they cut it smaller of course but I can feel it in me and it feels large!

Feel free to send me a PM and ask all the questions you need to. I am happy to help.

Suffice to say that it can be done - There is nothing to worry about - And I am so very happy with my results - This surgery was done in 2010 - My belly is as flat today as it was back then I think - Heck I'll go take a picture - Be right back...

OK - I am back........ (Few minutes later)

Here you go - Taken just now - The op was in April 2010 if I remember correctly..... This is today... Please excuse the marks from Jeans/Belt etc - LOL - Daughter said you won't be able to see my scar because of the Jeans having left marks.. Sorry about that......

5b747785de055_Belly15_08.18-02.jpg.563995855d6b114d44cd44e75e269abc.jpg

I really hope that is of some help....

*Edit again*

I want to say here - That after you have this surgery (Or any surgery like this) - No matter what the Dr says - You get some 3M paper tape and you put it on and keep it on - Replacing it as needed etc - Every day - All day - All night - For THREE MONTHS - No matter what - Support the scar whilst it heals - Then your scar will be a lot less visible than mine is. I tested this through my surgeries after this one - And the other scars are much finer and better through being supported as they healed, and if I ever did this one again I would definitely support the scar (Or any scar) as it heals so it heals to a fine line without stretching a little like mine has :-)

The tape looks like this - It's cheap and worth ten times the price for a good scar :-)

https://www.medisave.co.uk/3m-micropore-skin-tone-surgical-tape-1-25cm-x-9-14m-x-24.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2rCVuODv3AIVDuWaCh01bQx2EAkYASABEgIkW_D_BwE

Edited by Scamp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Scamp Wow, you look fantastic! Thank you so much for the information. I love that we can get on this site and get such good support. I was feeling so down when I left the first surgeon's office a few weeks ago. Now I can see that there's hope after all! I plan on getting my second opinion next month (September) and then getting my surgery done next summer. I'm squirreling away my money right now. Thanks again, Scamp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are very welcome.

When I first came here many years ago. It was he only site I found where I could see and get help for my worries. And the people on this site were a great support.

Back then people posting here gave me such great help - That I still come back to 'pay-it-forward' by offering any help I can to others. One person - She gave me one sentence that held fast through all my surgeries....... I trained my family to say this to me at every 'wobble' I had through fear of the surgeries, fear of pain etc etc

She said ''Keep your eyes on the prize''
And I will never forget those words and I will always be grateful to her for being there for me :-)

Keep us updated on your progress. I am not here every day these days - But every now and then I pop back to see what's happening - lol

Good Luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
When I had a Tummy Tuck consult three years ago (before I gained back 40lbs/pre-revision) my surgeon told me I didn’t need any muscle work and my tummy tuck would be simple. I was pretty stoked. Glad I waited, though.)
He told me to thank the surgeon who did the c-section for my son’s delivery. Apparently, he was an artist. The plastic surgeon couldn’t stop raving about my muscles and my scar that looked like “nothing but a loose skin wrinkle.”
God bless you, Dr. Reimer, wherever you are! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Screwballski: I've also had four c-sections, but my third one caused my muscle to rip and that's when my hernia occurred. I'm happy to hear that muscle reconstruction isn't required for everyone. Removing the extra skin is all I need to make me happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the wonderful information and pictures. I am new to the site and 6 months post-op. I imagine my stomach will look like your pre-surgery pictures. I had a c-section in 2001. The surgeon cut me up to just below my belly button. He said, he had to because I was too fat. Highest weight (ever) at the time was 270. He stitched me up some my lower stomach is always lopsided. I hate it! I hope to have surgery once I hit my goal of 150. Currently at 194.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2018 at 2:52 PM, Scamp said:

I have had an Abdominoplasty with no tightening due to previous hernia repairs 🙂

I had my hernia repaired normally - Without mesh - Then it came back in 2007 - So the second time it was repaired with mesh.

Then a few years after the hernia was fixed I had my Inverted T tummy tuck...... The surgeon said he tried to see what he could do - But had he repaired the muscle I would have been left with a lump down the middle. So he did not repair that - I am very happy! - There was virtually no pain after the op - Just tightness for a few days...

And that happened in 2010 and I am as happy today as I was after the op!

I attach a pic taken not long after the op...

Belly270311-02.thumb.jpg.231c876fb8d44606a3dbd3eec8fc4b25.jpg

And one of more recently... (2017 I think this one was)

bellyforyou.jpg.b0d14a94acb242601708f7a08c21fc09.jpg

I have noticed that a lot of belly buttons after surgery look like cats bums... lol

Here are two pre-surgery pics...

5b7475296ed31_Belly020610.jpg.9d57474383f4f44cf4f6bdb125000fe6.jpg

5b74828890705_BellyBeforePic.thumb.jpg.8cc358c1a7b0eae4c96c549ca489f035.jpg

I really hope that this helps. Take these pictures with you to show the Dr if you need to - My mesh is quite large - 15cm x 20cm it said on a piece of paperwork I have - Unless they cut it smaller of course but I can feel it in me and it feels large!

Feel free to send me a PM and ask all the questions you need to. I am happy to help.

Suffice to say that it can be done - There is nothing to worry about - And I am so very happy with my results - This surgery was done in 2010 - My belly is as flat today as it was back then I think - Heck I'll go take a picture - Be right back...

OK - I am back........ (Few minutes later)

Here you go - Taken just now - The op was in April 2010 if I remember correctly..... This is today... Please excuse the marks from Jeans/Belt etc - LOL - Daughter said you won't be able to see my scar because of the Jeans having left marks.. Sorry about that......

5b747785de055_Belly15_08.18-02.jpg.563995855d6b114d44cd44e75e269abc.jpg

I really hope that is of some help....

*Edit again*

I want to say here - That after you have this surgery (Or any surgery like this) - No matter what the Dr says - You get some 3M paper tape and you put it on and keep it on - Replacing it as needed etc - Every day - All day - All night - For THREE MONTHS - No matter what - Support the scar whilst it heals - Then your scar will be a lot less visible than mine is. I tested this through my surgeries after this one - And the other scars are much finer and better through being supported as they healed, and if I ever did this one again I would definitely support the scar (Or any scar) as it heals so it heals to a fine line without stretching a little like mine has 🙂

The tape looks like this - It's cheap and worth ten times the price for a good scar 🙂

https://www.medisave.co.uk/3m-micropore-skin-tone-surgical-tape-1-25cm-x-9-14m-x-24.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2rCVuODv3AIVDuWaCh01bQx2EAkYASABEgIkW_D_BwE

Hi Scamp your skin removal looks excellent you must be extremely satisfied. Can you tell me how many lbs of skin was removed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very happy with the results, and as there was not much fat under the skin - So the amount they removed having my TT was only 2.42lb (1.1 kilos)

Edited by Scamp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • WeGettingThere

      I'm trying to give these people all my labs and it's so hard! I had to do number 2 in a bag and send it in for the lab to test it. CHILE! Why did I poop in the container and when I went to drop it off, that part of the hospital was closed?!  Sigh. AWKWARD. I'll drop it off today after work tho. Feeling great!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • NeedsTheBeach

      Getting a little nervous about post surgery life adaptation. I really want to succeed, but habits are so hard to break.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AshMarie794

      Think I am hitting a stall-ish period. Weight loss is def slowing and I need a kickstart to get it going again....any suggestions?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      Good news and Meh news...
      Meh: so I think I experienced/am experiencing my first stall-ish since surgery and now I get how frustrating it can be!  So annoying to wake up every morning to watch the scale report a gain or loss of the same 1.5 pounds for over 2 weeks.  *sigh*.  Some say put the scale away, but I log my weight every morning to get a daily moving average of my weight.  So long as this moving average is not heading upwards (which it isn’t and hasn’t since post-op) then I am good with my curent “minimalist” weekly weight loss rate, however small I think it is 🙄.
      However.
      The Good news:
      To allow for some self back patting, and to remind myself of the bigger picture, I set a bunch of interim goals/milestones... a few of which are 10lbs increment weight loss goals:
      So this morning, after hovering within 1.5 pounds of an interim goal for over 2 weeks, I weighed in at 164.8, and officially lost 70 lbs!  In 4 months.  That is 30% of my starting body weight.  Or the equivalent of my 10 year old neice. How crazy is that.
      Next Goal: weigh in at 162lbs to be merely overweight (and not obese!)
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • MonnieB

      I am in the Pre-Op stage.  I have 4 more nutrition classes to go to.  I've had my endoscopy with favorable results although I was told I had an abnormal z-line.  Everything looks good so far.  Had my team appointment with the psychologist and have my pulmonologist  this week.  I chose the sleeve
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

    1. Carbs After Bariatric Surgery?

      Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    2. New Year’s Resolutions

      Posted in: Support
      Alex Brecher
    3. Go With Your Gut!

      Posted in: Mental Health
      Louisa Latela, LCSW, LCADC
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×