Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 08/12/2018 at 23:25, GreenTealael said:

People who stick as close to their plans as possible will lose weight. Calorie count can be deceptive without background information like what type of foods are being consumed (but that's a whole different debate for a different time)

Are you trying to drink pure Water only? All fluids consumed count towards your hydration goal. This includes pure Water, milk , broth, Protein Shakes, teas,coffee, crystal light ,vitamin water zero, Powerade zero, gatorade and even sugar free popsicles...

So you’re saying that anything at this stage counts as fluids really....I think that’s where I’m going wrong. I’m thinking that I can’t double dip. Count something for Protein and water.

I mean I’m 9 months out and eating max 550 calories a day, avg is 400. 90 pound loss so far. @GreenTealael is right—it depends on what the food is. For me, I don’t snack so it’s a Protein Shake, high quality Protein meat with veggie at lunch, and typically seafood for dinner like tilapia. It’s not about the calories it’s about the macros you consume. At least to me.

Almost 3 months out. Since 4 weeks post op I was supposed to eat 900-1000 kcal per day until I reach goal, which I followed until recently. The last week or two I’ve eaten more like 1200-1300 kcal per day and my weight loss has even gotten faster. I’ve eaten low carb high Protein since the surgery and even 5 years before the surgery.

I am prepared to go back to those 900-1000 kcals if needed to reach goal though.

So far I’ve lost 49 lbs since my surgery 12 weeks ago.

HW 251
SW 225
CW 176
GW 154
H 5’7

8 hours ago, Heather_A said:

So you’re saying that anything at this stage counts as fluids really....I think that’s where I’m going wrong. I’m thinking that I can’t double dip. Count something for Protein and Water.

Double check what your program states but mine counted all fluids towards your hydration goal , water was superior of course because its essential and your body will not have to work to extract it from other things if its readily available, so that's a reason to make sure that most of what you are drinking is water but you can throw some broth, tea, etc in the mix too.

Edited by GreenTealael

So you’re saying that anything at this stage counts as fluids really....I think that’s where I’m going wrong. I’m thinking that I can’t double dip. Count something for Protein and Water.< /div>
That was my understanding as well at least from all my paperwork and nutritionist.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

10 hours ago, redhead_che said:

I mean I’m 9 months out and eating max 550 calories a day, avg is 400. 90 pound loss so far. @GreenTealael is right—it depends on what the food is. For me, I don’t snack so it’s a Protein Shake, high quality Protein meat with veggie at lunch, and typically seafood for dinner like tilapia. It’s not about the calories it’s about the macros you consume. At least to me.

Glad to see someone with longish term low calories like myself. Like you, it's not necessarily purposeful, it's about my lack of hunger and restriction.

I'm 10 weeks out and usually getting between 700-900.

Like many of you, I'm struggling most to get in enough fluids - Water is now making me nauseous. I've tried it flavoured, unflavoured, warm, room temp, iced - you name it. I keep at it, but I'mlucky to get in more than 45 ounces, and that is with counting all my other fluids, too. (Protein shakes, milk, etc.)

I’m only two weeks out and already ending up around 450-550 most days. It makes me a little nervous that I’m already that high even though I’m still on liquids (basically Clear Liquids plus strained soups). It’s probably normal but I have a lot of nerves about when I make the leap to puréed foods (8/20) and then to real food (9/3).

There’s no calorie goal stated for this stage of my program, and while I’ve emailed my NUT to ask I am guessing I’ll get the customary as long as you’re eating what’s on the list and nothing else type answer.

Sometimes I feel like surgery was a long time ago and then I snap out of it and remember that it’s been literally only 14 days and I need to stop getting ahead of myself and worrying...if only anxiety were rational!

Almost 8 weeks post op and around 850 calories. About 45% Protein, 35% fat and 20% from carbs. I can generally stay within carbs but I usually go over by 4 or 5 grams of fat because of eggs. I can’t live without them.

2 hours ago, AELdoesRNY said:

I’m only two weeks out and already ending up around 450-550 most days. It makes me a little nervous that I’m already that high even though I’m still on liquids (basically Clear Liquids plus strained soups). It’s probably normal but I have a lot of nerves about when I make the leap to puréed foods (8/20) and then to real food (9/3).

There’s no calorie goal stated for this stage of my program, and while I’ve emailed my NUT to ask I am guessing I’ll get the customary as long as you’re eating what’s on the list and nothing else type answer.

Sometimes I feel like surgery was a long time ago and then I snap out of it and remember that it’s been literally only 14 days and I need to stop getting ahead of myself and worrying...if only anxiety were rational!

Please don't try to stay low calorie if that's not where you belong. Different strokes you know...

47 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Please don't try to stay low calorie if that's not where you belong. Different strokes you know...

Absolutely, I'm going to follow the plan that I'm supposed to for sure! I'm just feeling nervous that if my calories are already at 550 JUST from liquids, it's just going to be way more than that once I start introducing pureed and solid foods down the road. I often feel physical hunger (and even more frequently head hunger) on what I'm eating now, so I worry that once I'm eating actual food it's going to be the same and I'm not going to be able to keep the calories low.

I think I'm just in that really anxious phase of still being in liquids and really not feeling any restriction or fullness, and worrying that that's going to continue to be the case once I get to actual food. I need to take deep breaths and take it one day at a time, but that's been really hard for me to do!

I’m also in the 400-500 calories a day on the fluids stage. (13 days post op). I don’t think that’s bad as there isn’t a limit. The focus is on Water and Protein. I’m struggling with water too. It tastes sooo bad to me. I’ve been adding lemon slices and that makes it a tad bit better.

1 hour ago, Heather_A said:

I’m also in the 400-500 calories a day on the fluids stage. (13 days post op). I don’t think that’s bad as there isn’t a limit. The focus is on Water and Protein. I’m struggling with Water too. It tastes sooo bad to me. I’ve been adding lemon slices and that makes it a tad bit better.

Anyone who has seen my confessions (another thread) knows I struggle with low quality water. I can't drink it at all. I can only drink, high pH, alkaline,mineralized, foreign waters. Not all water is the same...

One year out! 157 pounds lost.

I (generally) consume about 1400 calories. It does vary, but I wouldn’t have gone under 1100 in several months.

I am pretty tall - 5 foot 9, but I do very little exercise. Like a bit of yoga and barre. I’m in my thirties.

This is something that you have to play around with. During a stall, I freak out and drop to 1200. Then I might go up again.

Ive has an excellent month (down about 10 pounds, which is great for me at this stage of the journey). Even so, I do think about dropping my calories down to speed things up but there’s no guarantee it would work. I also eat fruit as a snack and I would have to stop doing that. Also, I want to be able to maintain my weight. I can’t live forever eating only 500 calories a day.

Its not just about calories though in my experience (I’ll brace for some people to respond with the usual calories in vs calories out arguement). It really is about what you eat. I avoid bread, Pasta, too much processed food, high sugar food, milk chocolate. I do eat dark chocolate every single day. So although it’s a high calorie diet, I generally follow a pretty moderate Mediterranean diet. I have messed around with the Keto diet, but I like eating fruit. My body feels healthier.

The bottom line is that you have to talk to your nutritionist and come up with something you can comply with.

I am 2 weeks out, get in 350-550 calories a day. I have only lost 10 pounds since surgery. Also, my surgeon found a small, cancerous tumor on my stomach, which was removed with my surgery, and I see an oncologist next week. It was a surprise find.