Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some questions/concerns

I have some questions and concerns that I am hoping for help with! :)

1) Will I ever be able to eat normal things like everyone else down the road at some point? With restriction of course? For some reason this is worrying me as my surgery date approaches.

2) Will I be starving or feel starving after the surgery?

3) Will I be able to take all of my medications still? Prozac, bp, uric acid pills?

4) Is it unsafe to live on such low calories?

Maybe, I am just stressed because of the surgery being so close. Thank you everyone for the help!

Edited by Jpslcollins1028

:)

Edited by Jpslcollins1028
Update

1) Will I ever be able to eat normal things like everyone else down the road at some point? With restriction of course? For some reason this is worrying me as my surgery date approaches.

Yes. You'll be able to eat nearly everything. The only food I've found that I'm remotely sensitive to six months out...is corn on the cob. This varies by individual, but I can eat most things in small quantities.

I did. A lot of people don't have hunger after surgery. I had horrible hunger....but it went away by week three when I started eating 1000 calories a day.

3) Will I be able to take all of my medications still? Prozac, bp, uric acid pills?

Talk to your doctor about your meds. (but yes, most meds will be fine..and you might even get off your bp meds)

People who have bariatric surgery generally have lots of calories stored as fat...so can manufacture their own fuel from fat. You do have to pay attention to eating your Protein, because you don't want your body to consume muscle. And you need to take your Vitamins. My program had us eating 1000-1200 calories 3 weeks after surgery. This is an extremely safe level of calories to live on. You can live short term safely on less. If you run into hypoglycemia or malabsorptive issues, this can be problematic, but most people don't. if you eat 60+grams of protein a day, your muscles should be safe.

I can eat everything, nothing bothers my stomach.

I'm very fortunate that I have had almost no physical hunger. When I have had hunger, a couple of ounces and I'm full and satisfied. Head hunger is absolutely real, and more of a struggle for me. I've had to learn to differentiate between the two.

As @Creekimp13 said, this very unlikely to be a problem, but talk to your Dr

There has been quite a bit of research on very low calorie diets. Basically as long as you are under a Dr.'s care, get your Protein and vitamin/minerals in, it is considered safe. On an average day I consume 500 calories as less, at 4+ months out. I feel great, and have no real issue with my low calories. The instance it has been a problems was when I was helping to move furniture. But normal stuff like walking, biking, light weights, are no issue.

13 hours ago, Jpslcollins1028 said:

Maybe, I am just stressed because of the surgery being so close. Thank you everyone for the help!

Answers:

1. I'd say yes. You are having the sleeve, so the likelihood of dumping with sweets is lower. I had RNY, and I eat almost everything the same as before. I have less things like pizza, Pasta, or carb heavy foods, but I partake once and awhile.

2. Yes, probably. Hunger does not subside for all people. I was very hungry until I went to soft foods. After that, the hunger was very manageable, and easily diminished with a Protein dense snack.

3. You should be able to take your medication just fine. However, I would review your medication list with your surgeon and your PCP prior to surgery. A lot of times you can get off of BP meds after surgery. If they don't automatically take you off of this, I would invest in a portable blood pressure cuff and keep a close eye on it.

4. I honestly don't know the answer to this, I would think that prolonged periods of little calories (like in the first 2 weeks) could have an impact on health. However, I am 5 months post op, and I eat close to 1200 calories a day now, which is absolutely fine and healthy for someone like me.

Thank you all very much! I really appreciate it!

On 6/22/2018 at 9:52 PM, Jpslcollins1028 said:

1. My ex mother and ex sis both eat normal now, of course some things no longer agree with them

2. I am 2.5 weeks out and now I'm getting bored with the same old foods and feeling a little more hungry, but I've seen it differs for everyone, some have the hunger cravings, some don't

3. Some of my meds were stopped until further notice. But if they are for mental health I'm sure they won't. One of mine was a Water pill so he was afraid of dehydration, the other one I can't remember the reason. But it's diclofenac (sp)

4. If it was unhealthy I'm sure it wouldn't be an option, keeping up with the right diet is what helps

I was a little hungry on the puréed diet. I had to pick the thick choices like hummus and Peanut Butter. I’m not hungry on solids, except when it’s time to eat ancthen I’m easily satisfied.
You are fine on low calories. In fact, rodents on serious calorie restriction live longer and don’t get cancer. They have a youthful appearance for much longer. Many many studies have been done on this. (The human equivalent would be less than 500-600 calories forever if I remember right). We will be above that.

The only downside for the low calories for me is that I get cold very easily now. I was always the person who was too hot and sweaty. Now I have a space heater in my office. I got such a chill watching my kids games outside that I had to take a hot shower when I got home