Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

I had my surgery on 8/21. The gas is worse than the incision pain. I’m home now and litterally just forcing the farts and it helps... walking around and trying to get my fluids in. Was supposed to start on my vits today but will have to start tomorrow because I forgot them. Oh well. Hopefully I’ll lose some weight this week I’m up a pound from surgery day... 😭

I had my surgery on 8/21. The gas is worse than the incision pain. I’m home now and litterally just forcing the farts and it helps... walking around and trying to get my fluids in. Was supposed to start on my vits today but will have to start tomorrow because I forgot them. Oh well. Hopefully I’ll lose some weight this week I’m up a pound from surgery day... 😭

On 08/23/2018 at 17:08, Megan Sadler said:

Have you tried gas x? It was my go to post op! And don’t feel bad about the 1lb. I gained 10lbs in the hospital from fluids and gas. Best wishes!

On 08/23/2018 at 17:09, ALFxRNY said:

Have you tried gas x? It was my go to post op! And don’t feel bad about the 1lb. I gained 10lbs in the hospital from fluids and gas. Best wishes!
This. Gaining weight in the hospital post-surgery is completely normal. They pump you so full of fluids while you’re in there! I came out 12lbs heavier, but quickly lost it once I was out!

I haven’t got gas x yet. Found out I no longer like chicken broth 😩 but Campbell’s YES! Minestrone with kale (strained) tastes good and goes down easy.

On 08/23/2018 at 17:04, mercmerc said:

Hey!! Ya'll so i'm now on the soft food stage yay!! And I got cleared to head to the gym and do anything that doesn't hurt!! Haha yay
I’m so excited for you

Anyone far enough along that they are able to eat tomatoes? How long after surgery before you were able to eat them?

Been a while but had VSG on the 14th. 1st post op appt today down 12 lbs and move on to full liquids. Could not take more than a 1oz at the moment. I feel for the ones still dealing with gas pains. I was there a few days ago and then it was just gone. I still burp some but not as bad . Still have incision pain. Best wishes to you all

On 08/23/2018 at 20:20, Jbyerly101 said:

Anyone far enough along that they are able to eat tomatoes? How long after surgery before you were able to eat them?
I was cleared to eat veggies including tomatoes on Monday at 7 weeks post op.

Hello everyone just a quick note to say that I am alive and well. Surgery went well yesterday and save an uncomfortable night with a drain in my side and with a catheter and not being allowed to drink until the next morning when they could do a barium swallow I have done OK I think. I was discharged today and sent home I have been doing my breathing exercises and walking every hour or two for substantial period of time but still cannot get the gas out of that is trapped in my lower abdomen just wondering how long it took for all of you to be able to pass the gas out I know I will feel better if I do.

I have also been able to drink quite a bit 16 ounces of diluted pear juice 8 ounces of Optifast Protein and a cup of chicken broth which is way more that I could do following my sleeve surgery. I do wish I could eat, I miss eating even this close after surgery but I know I can’t maybe it’s just in the head

Thank you all so very much for your encouraging words the prayers and well wishes prior to my surgery I needed all of it and it made a world of a difference in my confidence level going in.

4 minutes ago, jenn4104 said:

@ellie123 so happy to hear your home with your babies

Very happy too, except they are being team too much right now. I want peace and quiet but they are loud and jumpy which makes me nervous. Loud cartoons and shrieks are not zenful at all

Edited by ellie123

1 hour ago, Jbyerly101 said:

I tried tomatoes at stage 4, for me it is the "for life" stage. This was also week 4 post op for me. The program said to try new foods and I assumed that meant all foods. I just removed the seeds and sliced it thin. Other than not having much due to being full I had no problem with them. Also had pickles minus the seeds. I had an appointment with my NUT the following week and she was surprised I had them so soon and had no problems with the skins. She then said I was clear to try whatever I wanted.

Congrats @ellie123 !!! Glad your doing well!!