Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

56 minutes ago, Catitude said:

July 31 😺

Me too! How are you doing? I'm trying to figure out eating again. What are you eating?

I'm not able to start walking or exercise right now because I had my big incision get a slight infection and it has a seroma and is still weeping Fluid.

Had surgery 7/30 and I’m VERY excited because tomorrow (three weeks out) I can finally have cottage cheese, yogurt, SF pudding, and puréed foods at long last! This whole liquids thing has been getting super old...

Are you all going to yell at me in shock and horror if I confess that I’m thinking about starting a teensy bit early and making ricotta bake tonight for dinner?

On 08/19/2018 at 11:23, jtneigh@hotmail.com said:

I have a question. I had the bypass surgery on 7/26/18. I have been so tired almost everyday since my surgery. I do not wake up tired but usually after I have been up for 5-6 hours I get really grouchy and tired. My hubby thinks I’m just “Hangry” since I can’t eat whatever I want. Maybe that’s part of it too but I do find myself tired a lot.
I was sleeved on 7/9 and feeling so good in general. I’m now getting 70-80 grams of Protein a day and eating 800-1000 calories a day, and power walking 4 miles 3-4 time a week! But I was SO TIRED!! Like, I wanted to cry I was so tired! I chatted with my dietician and she thought I might be dehydrated and low in potassium even though I drink Water and fluids all day....
Anyway, long story short she suggested I start drinking coconut water and low sodium V8 juice (ick!). It’s been 5 days and I really can tell a difference in my energy level. So- there’s a lil tidbit for whatever it’s worth. Maybe it’ll help you a bit?! :)

Having surgery Thursday. One day closer

I was having a lot of fatigue up until 3 weeks out when I saw the Dr and dietician for my follow up. They both agreed that it was due to insufficient Protein consumption (and too few calories) and Water intake. They told me to increase my protein grams up to 40-50+ grams a day and not to worry about the calorie level. I am now getting around 500 calories and 40 grams of protein. I feel like a new person!

Graduated from broth to creamy Soup today. The world is amazing now. Feel so good to have something with a bit of texture and more flavor.

3 hours ago, Elle_Woods said:

You all, I had surgery a week ago- and it was really rough at first. Still trying to figure everything and my new stomach out. What does everyone’s post op diet look like? I am on the puréed stage day after surgery. Which is still a little weird Bc apparently you can put anything in the blender and purée it and the. Eat it? (Except like tough meat, unhealthy food, ect)
So can you not purée food in your mouth if you chew it like a million times?
Also- what happens if you do eat a solid food? Like what does it do to your stomach?
Need to know why so I don’t do it!!

Hope everyone is healing well and feeling better!

The main reason for puree is so you do not rupture the staple line in your new stomach. It's also to ensure your body can tolerate those foods before moving on to solids. If you're asking if your teeth can do the same job as a blender with sharp blades...no, no it can't. Puree means pulverized. No chunks, not even a little bit. Think baby food or applesauce consistency.

Eating solid foods at this stage can not only rupture your staple line, but it can get stuck in your new tummy and cause extreme pain and nausea.

Remember, you don't have a smaller stomach. You have a new stomach. It needs training to be fully functional.

Edited by Ylime

On 08/19/2018 at 16:10, Ylime said:

Graduated from broth to creamy Soup today. The world is amazing now. Feel so good to have something with a bit of texture and more flavor.

Yay! Congrats! Seems like your progression is quicker than mine has been! In no time you’ll be joining me in puréed land! Thinking about having some cottage cheese or yogurt tomorrow morning...yum!

Just now, AELdoesRNY said:

Yay! Congrats! Seems like your progression is quicker than mine has been! In no time you’ll be joining me in puréed land! Thinking about having some cottage cheese or yogurt tomorrow morning...yum!

It certainly seems slow to me! lol But the creamy Soup is the only other liquid I can have. I can't have yogurt or anything else.

On 08/19/2018 at 16:15, Ylime said:

It certainly seems slow to me! lol But the creamy Soup is the only other liquid I can have. I can't have yogurt or anything else.

Same, that was how mine was too. My progression takes five weeks before I transition to solids/regular food. Puréed starts tomorrow!

5 days post op and I will be on clears for 2 weeks b4 full liquids. I am having gas issues. Gas and burping every time I drink still. And gas pains outside of stomach. Other than that I am doing ok. Yall plz tell me this gas situation gets better. I think I might sip to fast. Just because i can doesn't mean I should. Glad to hear ppl are doing well.

On 08/19/2018 at 19:58, Kat0000 said:

5 days post op and I will be on clears for 2 weeks b4 full liquids. I am having gas issues. Gas and burping every time I drink still. And gas pains outside of stomach. Other than that I am doing ok. Yall plz tell me this gas situation gets better. I think I might sip to fast. Just because i can doesn't mean I should. Glad to hear ppl are doing well.

Gas definitely gets better! chewable gasx and lots of walking (no matter how slowly) helped me!

On 08/16/2018 at 14:26, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

Hi there. I know the depression and anxiety. It’s a major surgery we just went through. It gets better. Six weeks out now and it’s getting better. Hang in there and these boards are great.

I am also six weeks out, almost 7. What are you eating? Seems like everything I eat my stomach hurts. Nausea, headaches. Etc.

How much can everyone eat?? Whats the portion size? 4oz? 6oz? When I eat I can eat 4oz and maybe one more so like 5oz ?

12 minutes ago, mercmerc said:

How much can everyone eat?? Whats the portion size? 4oz? 6oz? When I eat I can eat 4oz and maybe one more so like 5oz ?

I had sleeve surgery on 6/6. I eat about 800cals per day. I can eat about 1/2 cup at a time and I’m getting about 80g of Protein per day.