Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

Hi friends! Tonight is my first night home from the hospital and I feel really crappy. I’ve been getting down the Water ok but haven’t been able to pass any gas and there’s still a lot of pain even with meds.

Any suggestions or glimmers of hope for those father along than I am? Surgery was yesterday morning...

On 08/01/2018 at 00:09, Herewego2018 said:

Hi friends! Tonight is my first night home from the hospital and I feel really crappy. I’ve been getting down the Water ok but haven’t been able to pass any gas and there’s still a lot of pain even with meds.

Any suggestions or glimmers of hope for those father along than I am? Surgery was yesterday morning...
walk and walk and walk!!! my surgery was 7/25 and i had awful gas pains but i just made sure to walk around, even just through the house

I got my sleeve done on July 23rd. I’m feeling very sad now. I miss food. It’s the only thing that brought me comfort and I can’t eat it anymore. I’m glad I’m losing weight but it makes me so sad that I can’t eat. Does it get better? Will I be able to have some of my comfort foods eventually? I really don’t want a lot I just want a bite. I don’t know. Maybe I’m being stupid.

1 minute ago, PurplePassages said:

I got my sleeve done on July 23rd. I’m feeling very sad now. I miss food. It’s the only thing that brought me comfort and I can’t eat it anymore. I’m glad I’m losing weight but it makes me so sad that I can’t eat. Does it get better? Will I be able to have some of my comfort foods eventually? I really don’t want a lot I just want a bite. I don’t know. Maybe I’m being stupid.

My friend had her surgery last August and she struggled in the beginning. She cried a lot. She had regrets. But as her stomach healed and she was able to actually chew food it got better. Our relationship with food will absolutely change but remember why you did this.

I can relate. I was sleeved on July 10th and coming home I was very depressed, especially when I saw my kids eating regular foods. It’s a loss and we have to come to terms with the fact that we will never eat the way we used to again. I am dying for some potato chips but I know it would be counter productive for me to have any. It will get easier. Hang in there.

I tried sleeping in my bed what a mistake! Took me forever to get out of my bed and it hurt. Well looks like im confined to my chair with a pillow and a blanket. I want to sleep in my bed so bad :(

16 hours ago, Herewego2018 said:

Hey there! I think our surgeries were at the same exact time and date. Today is our 2 day tomorrow is the 3rd day. Man I cant wait till day 5, I just want to heal rapidly. I havent been able to pass any gas from "that end" but ive been burping and Im having BM's but they are certainly not solid. Pain is a little high too but im on Acetaminop-Codeine what are you taking?

On 08/01/2018 at 23:42, BadWolf523 said:

My friend had her surgery last August and she struggled in the beginning. She cried a lot. She had regrets. But as her stomach healed and she was able to actually chew food it got better. Our relationship with food will absolutely change but remember why you did this.

Thank you. You’re right. I think once I get to the stage of actually chewing food I might feel better. I’ve always liked healthy food, I just need to pass this liquid and purée stage.

On 08/01/2018 at 23:43, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

I can relate. I was sleeved on July 10th and coming home I was very depressed, especially when I saw my kids eating regular foods. It’s a loss and we have to come to terms with the fact that we will never eat the way we used to again. I am dying for some potato chips but I know it would be counter productive for me to have any. It will get easier. Hang in there.

Yeah it hurts to see my parents eat normally and I can’t. I’ve never been a jealous person so the experience has been a little uncomfortable. I just need to wait it out. This is about me being healthy, and once I’m completely healthy maybe I’ll be able to have a cheat day.

14 minutes ago, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

Yeah it hurts to see my parents eat normally and I can’t. I’ve never been a jealous person so the experience has been a little uncomfortable. I just need to wait it out. This is about me being healthy, and once I’m completely healthy maybe I’ll be able to have a cheat day.

It does get easier once you’re able to progress through the food stages. I’m on puréed now and I’m tolerating meats. Just being able to eat meat made a world of difference to me.

1 hour ago, GeminiSky said:

Hey there! I think our surgeries were at the same exact time and date. Today is our 2 day tomorrow is the 3rd day. Man I cant wait till day 5, I just want to heal rapidly. I havent been able to pass any gas from "that end" but ive been burping and Im having BM's but they are certainly not solid. Pain is a little high too but im on Acetaminop-Codeine what are you taking?

It's weird to think that today is only day 2, I feel like it's been a lot longer! I've heard that day 5 is the magical day of feeling somewhat healed/back to normal...I can't wait!

I've only been able to burp and I've minimally passed gas like 3-4 times from "that end" but no BMs yet. My pain has been off and on, some pretty sharp pangs of gas, I think, and some general ow, stitches and staples inside feelings. They sent me home with Dilaudid (only 15 pills with instructions to take 0.5-2 every four hours as needed). I've had two so far today - one this morning and one this afternoon - and I'm planning on having 1 or 1.5 before bed. My nurse said I could have some chewable GasX, and that actually seems to be helping a lot (though I just took it 15-20 minutes ago...). How's walking going for you?

I'm also curious - how long did you wait to weigh yourself after surgery? I feel temped but I'm also guessing all the fluids from being in the hospital and the healing process means weight loss isn't really happening/major part of the process right now. Debating whether I should just wait until my one week follow up with surgeon (if I have the self-restraint) or if I should weigh myself sooner...