Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GENEPRO, I have seen tons of people love it but lately I have seen LOTS of people warn against it or say no to it? Your thoughts? I use it, I like that I can use it in pretty much anything with no added taste and at any temperature. It worries me that so many people advise against it.

16 minutes ago, magpie26 said:

GENEPRO, I have seen tons of people love it but lately I have seen LOTS of people warn against it or say no to it? Your thoughts? I use it, I like that I can use it in pretty much anything with no added taste and at any temperature. It worries me that so many people advise against it.

There was a lawsuit and GENEPRO lost. Because it was found that the listed amounts of Protein per serving were greatly inflated, so they were lying to people.

While it may not have yet been proven that it is a scam, it fits the classic profile of a nutrition supplement scam - it is full of weasel words - just what is "equivalent" Protein? - it promises miracles - 30 g of protein in only 15g of product, and with fewer calories than 30 g of protein would have - no one really knows what it is, and they aren't telling. If it really was a breakthrough, they could patent it, licence it to others to produce for a fee, and offer their own as the "original" and a higher price. But since they don't......it's just a matter of faith, and marketing.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

The stuff may be benign, and not particularly harmful (except maybe to your wallet) to their normal target demographic of people on a typical American diet (which is already protein rich) who are convinced that they need more protein, but to us bariatric post-ops who are struggling to get in a minimum functional amount of protein, it can be bad news.

16 minutes ago, RickM said:

While it may not have yet been proven that it is a scam, it fits the classic profile of a nutrition supplement scam - it is full of weasel words - just what is "equivalent" Protein? - it promises miracles - 30 g of Protein in only 15g of product, and with fewer calories than 30 g of protein would have - no one really knows what it is, and they aren't telling. If it really was a breakthrough, they could patent it, licence it to others to produce for a fee, and offer their own as the "original" and a higher price. But since they don't......it's just a matter of faith, and marketing.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

The stuff may be benign, and not particularly harmful (except maybe to your wallet) to their normal target demographic of people on a typical American diet (which is already protein rich) who are convinced that they need more protein, but to us bariatric post-ops who are struggling to get in a minimum functional amount of protein, it can be bad news.

It's not as complicated as it seems.

It's DEFINITELY dishonest and a bit of a scam, but likely a decent protein supplement otherwise.

If you look at the calories on the label and divide it by 4 that's roughly how many Grams of Protein is in a serving, it may be slightly less.

Their claims are 100% pure horseshit and for that reason alone people shouldn't buy their product. But if someone absolutely is in love with it and doesn't want to buy alternative products I would follow my rule above dividing calories by 4 and assume that's roughly how much protein is in a serving based on normal measurements that people use and know that you're getting ripped off by a shady company but the product is otherwise probably an OK protein product.

Edited by Mhy12784

31 minutes ago, Mhy12784 said:

It's not as complicated as it seems.

It's DEFINITELY dishonest and a bit of a scam, but likely a decent Protein supplement otherwise.

If you look at the calories on the label and divide it by 4 that's roughly how many Grams of Protein is in a serving, it may be slightly less.

Their claims are 100% pure horseshit and for that reason alone people shouldn't buy their product. But if someone absolutely is in love with it and doesn't want to buy alternative products I would follow my rule above dividing calories by 4 and assume that's roughly how much protein is in a serving based on normal measurements that people use and know that you're getting ripped off by a shady company but the product is otherwise probably an OK protein product.

My NUT told me to count it as 17 grams of protein, not 30, but that otherwise it was ok to use. I've been struggling with finding a Protein Shake I can tolerate. GENEPRO is the first one I've found that works for me.

16 minutes ago, t1018ross said:

My NUT told me to count it as 17 grams of Protein, not 30, but that otherwise it was ok to use. I've been struggling with finding a Protein Shake I can tolerate. GENEPRO is the first one I've found that works for me.

That's a reasonable way of looking at it. Although it's likely less than 17g of protein (it list 58 calories, so you're probably talking about 14g of protein a serving maybe 13)

Which makes GENEPRO incredibly overpriced as well as being disingeous. I still think youre better off finding a protein maker who is more honest and upfront , but if you're adamant on it I think it's OK as long as you're looking at it the way you are.

GENEPRO doesn’t claim to have 30g of Protein, but it claims to be equivalent. People often call it a scam yet fail to mention that part. I will say this, while some may be completely against it, my doc has followed the lawsuit and still highly recommends it. I know this may be coincidence too, but I recently ran out and tried to get my protein by food alone. As I am only 10 weeks out, my protein levels dropped and I immediately saw a huge increase in Hair loss. I decided to order more and started taking it again, and within about a week, the hair loss lightened up. It didn’t stop and I don’t expect it to, but there was a huge difference. Now that may be coincidence, but I am listening to my body first. By the way, there are several currently lawsuits pending that claim many of the protein brands we drink don’t actually have the amount of protein they claim. That comes with the industry, it is not regulated enough for any of us to really know. So my point it, find one that works for you and listen to your body.

@TexasMommy80 I agree, it's tough for some to find something that we can tolerate. After reading about the lawsuits,etc I haven't thrown out my bag, will I possibly look for another powder? Maybe. But GENEPRO works well for me too for what I use it or when I use it. I just like it because of how it dissolves and how it is in hot items.

But im open to hearing any other people's types of powders.

Have you tried Syntrax matrix I have had lots of problems with nausea and can tolerate that well, it mixes well. I generally mix with fair life milk for even more Protein and it mixes very easily and to me tastes much better than premier and others I haven’t been able to tolerate.

3 hours ago, bluebutterfly said:

Have you tried Syntrax matrix I have had lots of problems with nausea and can tolerate that well, it mixes well. I generally mix with fair life milk for even more Protein and it mixes very easily and to me tastes much better than premier and others I haven’t been able to tolerate.

I love matrix and nectar by Syntrax.

I even mix the nectar with premier frequently

3 hours ago, bluebutterfly said:

No, but I will look into that and Isopure which was also recommended. That one said you could bake with it. I don't usually do pancakes but my kids and husband like them, so with my husband and me I do 2 eggs, 1/2 cup flaxseed meal, 2 scoops GENEPRO, and one mashed banana for taste and I think 1/2 a tsp for rising. (I made it up) I don't do gluten and one pancake or less and I'm done, it makes six. But if I counted the 30 grams per scoop each pancake had 14 grams of Protein. So I guess I am looking for one I can use to put in things to bake or cook with

1 hour ago, magpie26 said:

No, but I will look into that and Isopure which was also recommended. That one said you could bake with it. I don't usually do pancakes but my kids and husband like them, so with my husband and me I do 2 eggs, 1/2 cup flaxseed meal, 2 scoops GENEPRO, and one mashed banana for taste and I think 1/2 a tsp for rising. (I made it up) I don't do gluten and one pancake or less and I'm done, it makes six. But if I counted the 30 grams per scoop each pancake had 14 grams of Protein. So I guess I am looking for one I can use to put in things to bake or cook with

I've baked with GENEPRO and Isopure, and both mix well and do the job.

This link has some great tips for baking with Protein powder:

https://teaspoonofspice.com/which-protein-powder-best-baking/

The Syntrax Nectar is great because there are 17 different flavors. You can try them all if you purchase the assorted samples through bariatricpal. They have fruity and milky flavors. They don't have the grit like other Protein Shakes do.