Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this a stall or my set point weight?

I'm 10 months post op and I've spent the past 6 weeks in a stall, weighing between 91.5 and 92.7kg (about 204lbs). This feels like the mother of all stalls. It's really making me miserable. Interestingly, about 7 years ago, I lost 55kg (120 pounds), I got to a similar weight to what I'm at now and I stayed there for a year or so before I put it all back on. For whatever reason, I cannot break the 90kg mark or get to Onederland. I'm starting to think this is as good as it gets. This is my set point weight.

I have tried to break the stall. I take all my Vitamins, drink lots of Water, track through My Fitness Pal. I could do better on calories (I have about 1300 daily - but I am tall), I eat pretty healthy (high Protein, no processed carbs). In the past 3 weeks, I've started to exercise a little bit - only 2 or 3 times a week, but I do have rheumatoid arthritis. I have been on prednisone (a steroid medication notorious for making you gain weight) but I'm in the process of tapering off and starting a different medication.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it normal for this to happen as you approach the one year mark? I feel like I'm tearing my hair out (and much of my hair is only 2inch regrowth!). Am I at my set point weight? Should I give up? Please help me!!!

Edited by LaLaDee

@LaLaDee You are going to want to try to get more exercise, like 60 mins a day is what's recommended. Try doing some Water based exercises to help prevent any added stresses on those joints.

You say "lots of water" what's "lots"? upwards of 128oz?

Also, check out what your BMR is, BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is the amount of calories we need just to exist. Think in a coma, alive but not moving. As we age our BMR drops. As we lose weight, our BMR drops. So the amount of calories you were burning when you were 156kgs is more than at 92.5kgs. Figure out what your BMR is and maybe adjust your intake?

33 minutes ago, LaLaDee said:

I'm 10 months post op and I've spent the past 6 weeks in a stall, weighing between 91.5 and 92.7kg (about 204lbs). This feels like the mother of all stalls. It's really making me miserable. Interestingly, about 7 years ago, I lost 55kg (120 pounds), I got to a similar weight to what I'm at now and I stayed there for a year or so before I put it all back on. For whatever reason, I cannot break the 90kg mark or get to Onederland. I'm starting to think this is as good as it gets. This is my set point weight.

I have tried to break the stall. I take all my Vitamins, drink lots of Water, track through My Fitness Pal. I could do better on calories (I have about 1300 daily - but I am tall), I eat pretty healthy (high Protein, no processed carbs). In the past 3 weeks, I've started to exercise a little bit - only 2 or 3 times a week, but I do have rheumatoid arthritis. I have been on prednisone (a steroid medication notorious for making you gain weight) but I'm in the process of tapering off and starting a different medication.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it normal for this to happen as you approach the one year mark? I feel like I'm tearing my hair out (and much of my hair is only 2inch regrowth!). Am I at my set point weight? Should I give up? Please help me!!!

sounds like you are doing the right things. the prednisone is likely the biggest factor. once you are off of it the stall is likely to break. previous setpoints will almost always be stall points for folks. stick with it, persevere and it will likely break at some point. I lost below 1250, but am short so 1300 may work for you. again i strongly believe it is the prednisone that is the problem.

You can be in a stall for longer than 6 weeks, some people never experience long ones, but it does happen. It does suck. And you WILL lose again.

I was in a stall for over 3 months and then started losing again. It was brutal. And I believe it was a set point that my body was hanging on to because I had not been below that weight in over 30 years. I dropped 6 pounds and now staying put at 178 for a couple weeks again. This could be the pattern I lose at for now. I don't have any scientific answers or proof, just my experience. I tried all the advice, more Water, less carbs, 200 less calories, added half hour more to gym time - and I square dance like crazy besides, and honestly unless you are really making bad choices, I think time and perseverance was the only solution.

I had people nearly declare I was lying about my intake, so be aware of that. You know if you are in control or not.

That doesn't mean that trying something different won't work for YOU. I have read that some have upped calories for two days by 200, then dropped them down by 300 for five days, and varied the types of food (don't routinely eat the same foods or amounts) and that has jolted their metabolism into losing again.

Don't lose heart. Hang in there.

So sorry! I get it, I would be disappointed so close to onederland too.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. Stay the course!

I suspect it is a stall. Sleeve patients can be in the weight loss phase for up to a couple years and encounter many stalls along the way. That is why someone on this site came up with the slogan "Embrace the Stall". Many find that when they are in a stall, they find other successes, like dropping a size in clothing or other NSVs.

Hi have you tried going super strict with your diet like meal planning only Protein and leafy veges for a while ? Not much variation but it will test whether or not food is a factor ?

15 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Hi have you tried going super strict with your diet like meal planning only Protein and leafy veges for a while ? Not much variation but it will test whether or not food is a factor ?

I agree with this. I would do something to shake my diet up to see if I could break the stall. Maybe considering doing the Protein and green veg like suggested above and at the same time see if you can drop your calories below 1000? If breaks the stall, you can slowly move your calories back up to where you're more comfortable and see if there is a point where you stop losing again.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think it could be the prednisone and the fact that I was at this weight previously and it’s some kind of historical set point for my body.

In terms of my diet, I only eat eggs, meat (cooked in extra virgin olive oil), vegegables (no potatos), fruit, salad, smoothies, hummus, Peanut Butter and Protein balls. I do have dark chocolate or the occasional halo top as a treat. My other treat is brown rice which I have maybe every two months. Lol. I have tended to focus less on calorie counting and more on macros and making sure I’m eating nutritious food. I have lost about 63kg/130lbs that way but it isn’t working anymore.

I drink 2-3 liters of Water (no idea what that is in ounces) per my nutritionists instructions. I also have peppermint tea all day and I’ll have a skim milk coffee 2-3 times a week. My Nut actually told me I was the textbook patient and that my diet was excellent. Of course, now that I’ve stalled, I’m questioning everything.

Cutting calories may be a way forward. I would only want to do that to break the stall though, I can’t see how I would stay permanently on less than 1200.

In the past when I had been banded for 1 year I stalled for quite awhile. I was also textbook perfect on my diet. My answer was to amp up my exercise. I started the couch to 5k learn to run program. Over 10 weeks I progressed from 30 seconds of running to 20 minutes nonstop and then in one more week I was running 45 min nonstop and doing 5km. This chewed through the stall and got me to my goal.

Fast forward 10 years and a slipped band and arthritis, I’ve now regained most. My VGS surgery is this week. I know I’ll have stalls again, without the ability to run. So I’m going to swim instead.

My advice - keep going on your nutrition plan and amp up the fitness.

My nut said anytime we had a stall longer than 3 weeks to do a reset with a 10 days of full liquids/protein supplements and then start adding Proteins and vegetables and count calories and macros. You will find your stasis or stall point and know to reduce back a few hundred calories or add more activity.

Edited by Fallinfast

@Fallinfast Does that mean I do 10 days on commercial Protein Shakes? My concern is that once I start eating more normally I would regain some weight? Have you tried the reset?

I guess the answer is to be more patient. There are a lot of threads with people who are three week post op complaining about a stall lasting a few days. I resist the urge to roll my eyes but I’m not that different despite being nearly a veteran. However, because I have lost so much weight and I’m approaching the one year mark, I’m seriously concerned that this is it for me. My body is just done losing.

When I met my bariatric surgeon, he said I would get to 110kg and that would be it. I applaud him for not selling me a bunch of insane expectations but in a way, I felt limited. Only when I found bariatric pal did I start to think I could smash my surgeon’s expectations and define my own goal. I saw people here determined to do amazing things. In spite of having a starting BMI of 50+, I felt like I could still go for it. Losing a little weight puts me at Onederland, gets me in the 80s (kg wise) and takes my BMI to merely overweight rather than obese. It would mean everything to get there. I hate this stall.