Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious Thoughts.....

As I read through these posts it has become pretty clear that obesity is truly a mental condition. I saw this process as a tool to better myself, but a lot of people think its a catch all. Some people miss food while some get depressed about not eating. I wonder if more psychological stipulations should be inacted before a proceedure?

Any Thoughts....?

i have said before and will say again. post op is mostly mental

if i could change anything i would move all that bullshit you do for 6 plus months before surgery and change it out for 6 plus months of therapy post op.

food is SO much more than just nutrients and energy. It is a part of our view of ourselves for better and for worse.

I hear what you are saying, but . . . A lot of postings have also been about psych evals being rough.

Maybe a little mandatory therapy couldn't hurt or mandatory support groups.

I definitely feel grumpy when I can't eat something I want, it can even make me moody sometimes.

I understand that my sleeve is a tool and those kind of emotions are something I need to work through.

1 hour ago, TxAlpha06 said:

As I read through these posts it has become pretty clear that obesity is truly a mental condition. I saw this process as a tool to better myself, but a lot of people think its a catch all. Some people miss food while some get depressed about not eating. I wonder if more psychological stipulations should be inacted before a proceedure?

Any Thoughts....?

Most people have this surgery & haven’t got a clue as to what they can eat. Nothing could be more simple! Lean Protein & produce. Anything else is processed in some form.

29 minutes ago, Seahawks Fan said:

Anything else is processed in some form

It really does come down to just this. Processed food is killing us. All the Macro's just play at the edge but the real Issue here is the level of processing all the food we eat has gone thru.

The sleeve is a tool that can be defeated, but I think what you are talking about is the need to explore some food addiction issues prior to surgery. It isn't a bad idea, but for those paying by insurance, I can already see that it is data driven, based on the medical and psychological tests of those that have gone before us. Insurance only covers the procedure because they stand to make money by doing so. You stay healthier, less pay outs, you live longer, more premiums collected. Same reason some employers discount your insurance based on gym membership/attendance. I think more psychological follow up on the post-op side is appropriate along with continued nutrition classes. Heck, I have lost weight before and then gained it all back plus some. I saw my Mom have success with RNY and chose to do the sleeve before becoming diabetic and needing a triple bypass like she did. Nobody forced me to be obese, I did it to myself. Four slices of stuffed crust pizza is not a serving nor is one slice a healthy meal, but I knew that when I was eating it. I also know people who can eat that and more and not gain weight.

Dang all those pizza metabolizers out there🍕!

I see a lot of lost people throughout this site. Insecure about every aspect.of the process, and emotional struggling post op I'm a bad way. Maybe the psychological stuff would be better directly after the process, then people might not attend if they've already had the procedure. I see a great deal people not ready for the journey. Hard to look at with a passing eyes....and hard to comment on without making someone cry simply by trying to provide realistic responses and not general fake support. If that makes sense.....

1 hour ago, TxAlpha06 said:

I see a lot of lost people throughout this site. Insecure about every aspect.of the process, and emotional struggling post op I'm a bad way. Maybe the psychological stuff would be better directly after the process, then people might not attend if they've already had the procedure. I see a great deal people not ready for the journey. Hard to look at with a passing eyes....and hard to comment on without making someone cry simply by trying to provide realistic responses and not general fake support. If that makes sense.....

You definitely make sense. But, I can say that the therapist I'm seeing (who specializes in eating disorders) used to do a lot of evaluations for bariatric surgery. The surgeons dropped her from their list because she didn't approve people fast enough. They wanted a one-off, good-to-go assessment just to get the patient into surgery. (My surgeon requires a minimum of 3 therapy meetings, and more if the therapist doesn't sign off.) But everyone has to understand, the doctor can make all the requirements he/she wants before surgery; after surgery, they're just suggestions. What's the doc gonna do? Give you back your stomach? The doctor has absolutely no leverage after the surgery.

I agree however not everyone is willing to face these mental hurdles that still need immediate physical interventions. So doctors do tell best they can and work on the hardware in hopes that the software upgrade follows suit.

I've said time and time again, the biggest mistake that these programs make is not requiring some type of continued therapy for the first year after WLS. I suggest that everyone establish with a therapist before surgery. You may need one, you may not. Its worth having someone in your corner that can walk you through the emotional hurdles that you will experience.

A serious thought for serious topic.
Strength doe not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.
MAHATMA GANDHI

2 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

A serious thought for serious topic.
Strength doe not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.
MAHATMA GANDHI

Gandhi didn't have food issues though....LOL....

On 06/14/2018 at 06:20, TxAlpha06 said:

I do truly believe that many people get the procedure due to wanting to get someone to notice or think that with this surgery their insecurities will be gone. Society has already made it a trend that smaller is best, instead of healthy is best. So that I believe is where people on here begin to obsess over the rate of weight loss even as little as 5-6 days out.
This surgery WILL NOT...I repeat WILL NOT fix mental health issues. And recognizing depression or other mental struggles early in the process, I believe in the end will enhance the weight loss long term. Stress and other mental factors can cause weight gain, ultimately leaving the sleeve ineffective.
I personally don’t think that all know they are suffering mentally until after the surgery. So a post op therapist should be something to consider.