Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I had my sleeve done on Monday, it’s now Thursday evening. I have been extremely hungry for the last 5-6 hours, even with drinking my fluids. Is it normal to be this hungry after only being on day 4??

this is different for everyone. Head hunger is real even if just in the head. Habit plays a real role here you are simply used to eating and your body and mind don't understand why you stopped.

this does get better as the days go by you get used to a new pattern and the head hunger will decrease.

once you move to more semi solid food it will help the mind with the why are not eating thing.

all i can suggest is avoid being reminded about food- less tv more movies - try to keep mind occupied

distract yourself as much as possible

I was starving the first week as well. It does pass once you get onto more solid food. Protein protein protein is all I can say. Don’t eat anything unless it’s got protein that’s the only thing that helped me. Best of luck. Just know it does get easier.

I am following your thread because I am 8 days post op and STARVING! I was starting to feel something was wrong with me. I feel that feeling that you feel when you have not eaten all day long. I was like seriously? So what's up with everyone saying you don't feel hunger? I was not prepared for feeling hungry and its really throwing me off.

I wrote my clinic and they are telling me that it happens and is part of the journey to adjusting to totally different eating habits. Sigh...…..

So I guess we just buckle up with this ride until our bodies adjust to eating much less?

some people have no hunger, some people have a lot of hunger, and most others are somewhere in between after sleeve surgery. You're body is currently only getting a small amount of calories in liquid form, and trying to repair after major surgery, so you could very well be someone who experiences more genuine hunger post surgery (and this should reduce once you start eating more substantial purees/soft solids).

Also look to see if any of your hunger is being triggered/re-enforced by things like others eating around you, by it being "regular meal time" or when you see one of the gazillion ads on TV for junk foods, as these all contribute to head hunger and mental cravings which can feel very much like the real thing.

Lastly, if you are not taking any Protein Pump Inhibitor medications post op to reduce gastric acid and aid in both stomach healing and prevent reflux, your sensation of hunger (especially if it resumes within an hour or so of "eating/drinking protein") could actually be a feeling of excess stomach acid which mimics hunger.

I had a sleeve. The part of my stomach that sends the hunger signal, was removed. Brain hunger is a very real thing. I am 3 years out. My stomach can growl now, but I still really don't feel hunger.

When you are eating starvation level calories...and stressing your body with a major surgery that requires massive calories to do repairs....you indeed can be hungry. REAL hunger. Starving children in Africa Hungry.

I could have chewed my leg off I was so hungry....days after the surgery. Starving, weak, miserable hunger.

It wasn't until I was eating about 1000 calories a day at three weeks that I felt better and no longer experienced hunger.

These days I eat 1200 calories a day and almost never feel hungry.

It gets better.

You're not broken because you're hungry after surgery. Some people are and it makes perfect sense that they should be. Some folks get the benefit of nausea and soreness and natural hunger suppression from trauma. I envy those folks. LOL. And I don't. Because even though I had to suffer hunger....my stomach is awesome now. I tolerate nearly everything, I don't have any nausea and never have. Benefits and drawbacks to each experience.

Edited by Creekimp13

I was just gonna make a thread about this, I'm almost at 2 weeks post op and still not sure how to tell if I'm hungry or just bored. I'm used to being bored and munching down, obviously the reason for the surgery lol.. right now I'm eating some eggs and not sure if I'm still hungry or full.. I got an extreme pain that lasted Bout 30 seconds then it's gone. But is my body telling me to stop or is it something else

4 hours ago, Hellokitty19984 said:

I was just gonna make a thread about this, I'm almost at 2 weeks post op and still not sure how to tell if I'm hungry or just bored. I'm used to being bored and munching down, obviously the reason for the surgery lol.. right now I'm eating some eggs and not sure if I'm still hungry or full.. I got an extreme pain that lasted Bout 30 seconds then it's gone. But is my body telling me to stop or is it something else

It seems that instructions for post op diets vary from doctor to doctor. eggs fall under soft foods in my instructions leaflet and not suppose to be had until 3 weeks post op. I did liquid only for 2 weeks but added milk and blended vegetables to the Soups to beef them up. I also did a watered down mashed potato with no butter but milk.

It takes time to adjust to a totally new way of eating. That cant happen overnight or in a few weeks. Give yourself time to learn the new way :) My parents came back with me to Barbados after I had my surgery and I have been cooking meals for them and hosting a lunch tomorrow doing all the cooking. It actually gives me a kind of satisfaction just seeing and smelling the food - weird. But I know I cant eat it or if I try some (because I am 3 weeks post op almost) I got to smash it up. I can eat so little! Otherwise it really hurts. Your body will certainly tell you when you are full because if you go over it will HURT and it will stay that way for a bit over an hour. You learn what will work for you by trial and error

I'm 9 weeks out and I've felt hunger from day one, it got better as time progressed and good got more solid but I do feel hunger. If I go too far between meals it is bad. I talked to my surgeon yesterday and discussed this with him he said 90% of people don't really feel much hunger while the rest can and will. He also said that I'm only eating 600-800 calories and that's probably not enough so to eat more (not the case for people just post op) so I'll try that, we also upped my acid reducer. It is definitely not like it was but i was looking forward to not feeling hungry all the time, but at least it only takes a tiny amount of food to help and I don't give in to it so just be mindful.

10 hours ago, BajanSleeve said:

It seems that instructions for post op diets vary from doctor to doctor.

:D:P:D What gave you that impression?

Yepper....they are wildly different:)